favorite modern large jazz ensembles

cannonball-addict

Who is your favorite big band or large ensemble today?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

not sure what I'd vote here... maybe ICP?

and wtf is the mingus bb doing here if there's supposed to be no ghost bands? I like them alright, but with all their repertoire being from mingus, I consider it a ghost band.

and just because Schneider did a project with the DRBB... there are other very good radio big bands over here, though just a few ones remain by now, NDR Big Band and WDR Big Band deserve mention just as much as the DR BB, I'd say!

Dedalo (Enja Winckelmann) by Gianluigi Trovesi & WDR Big Band:

enj9419.jpg

Ekapa Lodumo (Enja Winckelmann) by Abdullah Ibrahim & NDR Big Band:

tip888840.jpg

These are just two examples, of course... I don't have either but heard live broadcasts on tv and radio of these programmes and loved the music quite some!

and wtf is the mingus bb doing here if there's supposed to be no ghost bands? I like them alright, but with all their repertoire being from mingus, I consider it a ghost band.

imo, a "ghost band" began when the leader was alive, then continued under someone else's leadership after his death. also, these kinds of bands tend to play the same arrangements from the "old days." the mingus big band and the mingus jazz orchestra were both created after mingus's death. they play new arrangements of his original compositions. finally, i think the mbb features some of the best performers playing incredibly vital music, and is one of the most consistently entertaining outfits in jazz today.

long live the mmb!

MINGUS%20IMG_7656-SHELDON.JPG

ok, I can see that point - as I said I like them alright, seen them live once, too (with Stubblefield, shortly before he died, much too early). anyway, they're still kind of "derivative", even if not an actual ghost band... and in mainstream jazz, they might indeed be one of the liveliest outfits around these days (for instance, I find Holland's music more and more boring, can't help it... I realize it's not the music that changes much - though maybe that in fact is part of the problem - but my perception of it...)

imo, a "ghost band" began when the leader was alive, then continued under someone else's leadership after his death. also, these kinds of bands tend to play the same arrangements from the "old days." the mingus big band and the mingus jazz orchestra were both created after mingus's death. they play new arrangements of his original compositions. finally, i think the mbb features some of the best performers playing incredibly vital music, and is one of the most consistently entertaining outfits in jazz today.

long live the mmb!

MINGUS%20IMG_7656-SHELDON.JPG

One of the best jazz bands around today.

Most of the big bands I like best were not on the list.

My current favorite is the Clayton/Hamilton Big Band. Other favorites include The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra, The Bob Florence Big Band, The Bill Holman Big Band, Frankie Capp Juggernaut, Dave McMurdo Big Band, John Fedschock Big Band.

Yes, the list is hardly comprehensive. I voted for Maria Schneider, but would have voted for either Florence or Holman, had they been listed. I'm also a big fan of the John Fedchock Big Band. His latest CD "Up and Running" on Reservoir is excellent, possibly his best yet.