Idrees Sulieman & Ira Sullivan

Late

post-282-0-36145300-1301605837_thumb.jpg

Idrees Sulieman

post-282-0-37733200-1301605857_thumb.jpg

Ira Sullivan

Two trumpet players that don't get discussed too much, and I thought maybe we could change that. Has anyone here heard either musician in-person? I don't know much biographical information on either, other than Sullivan is one of those ambidextrous musicians who is equally adept on the tenor.

Favorite appearances on record?

Edited by Late

He lives in Miami and gigs when he feels like it. About a year or two ago I missed a chance to see Ira gig with Eddie Higgins.

And speaking of Higgins, after my interview with him, I tried to use that connection to get an interview with Ira. Eddie graciously agreed to call him. He told him that he had done an interview with me, it went very well, and would he consider doing one also?

Ira asked Eddie if he'd been paid for doing the interview and when told he hadn't been, said in no uncertain terms that without payment, he wouldn't do it!

Who did he think I was working for, the National Enquirer?

:wacko::blink:

After relaying this, Eddie told me that Ira can be a bit of an "odd duck". No sh*t.

An earl Ira Sullivan album I enjoy is the 'Nicky's Tune' session on Delmark with Nicky Hill, Jodie Christian, Victor Sproles and that other underrated musician Wilbur Campbell.

As for Idrees Sulieman I would like to hear the radio session he recorded with Lester Young in Paris in March 1959 just before Prez returned to New York. Sulieman must have been a good match to Lester Young!

• 3 weeks later...

The one Ira Sullivan album that really touched my heart was "Peace" on Galaxy, where he plays all of his horns with equal conviction. "Send in the Clowns" from this one is a classic.

Wish Fantasy would make a twofer CD of his two Galaxy LPs.

Edited by mikeweil

I saw Sullivan this past Friday night at the Hollywood Jazz Fest. He led what was called the South Florida Jazz Collective, which featured a number of local musicians, most prominantly he and Turk Mauro. Switched off between sax, trumpet and percussion. I believe he spends most of his time in South Florida.

Chuck, is that the one during which, frustrated with the way Ira was messing around with some New Age-y stuff flute-and-guitar stuff, you testily said, "Play bebop!" -- whereupon Ira literally played that tune?

Something like that.

I had made a very specific deal with Ira to make a very specific type of recording. In the studio Ira opened up a briefcase, dug out some music and said "I know what Chuck expects, but have some stuff in here that's almost like art". My response was something like "what do you think jazz is?".

After messing around with endless "rehearsals" of Ira's "almost like art", Don DeMichael (a guest in the studio) said "Play bebop". Ira said "the style or the tune?" with contempt. I said "Your choice".

They wound up playing "That's Earl Brother". A fine performance, indeed.

This recording was a wonderful and very trying experience. I think I won the fight since Ira has repeatedly told me this is his best record.