Lou Donaldson -- Village Vanguard

ajf67

Just curious if anybody has or plans to see Lou Donaldson at the Village Vanguard this week. I'm going on Saturday night, and would love a preview if anyone is willing to provide one. He's one of my favorites, and I've never seen him live.

It's his working band these days...Lonnie, Fukushi Tainaka on drums (a fucking killer drummer who hung with Philly Joe a lot, he's serious as a heart attack. He's also been Lonnie's drummer of choice for the last 10 years or so.) and Randy Johnston on guitar.

This is a hard working unit and the best organ unit you'll EVER hear. See them now, or just lie about it to your friends 20 years from now. ;) .

I went to the Lou Donaldson 11:00 set on Saturday night at the Village Vanguard, and I thought I'd share my thoughts on it.

Soul Stream, you were dead on about the band and about it being some of the most entertaining music I've heard in a while. The band was really together and they supported Donaldson flawlessly. Each had well-played and extensive solos. My girldfriend and I particularly liked Lonnie Smith on the organ. I imagine the extensive soloing was partly designed to let them showcase their talents and partly designed to give Lou some breaks (exactly how old is he?). Donaldson tended to lead off the songs and then let the group jam for an extended period before joining in again. No surpise there.

Highlights for me included "Gravy Train" and "Midnight Creeper," and a finale that I do not know the name of. On the finale, Lou really let loose on an extended improvisation that brought the house down (well, actually up, as in out of their seats). If anyone had any doubts as to his still being able to cut it, they should have been erased after that. We also got two highly entertaining vocals and a ton of great stage banter. Lou did "Whiskey Drinkin' Woman" and "It Was A Dream," and the crowd ate up both of them.

All in all, a great jazz show.