favorite modern jazz RECORDINGS w/ 10+ players

Rooster_Ties

A parallel thread (to this one), but I thought it would be good for people to recommend specific recordings by their favorite "modern" jazz ensembles, made up of roughly 10 or more instruments.

And let's hold this thread to recordings made after 1980, and preferably those from the 90's and 00's.

What are your all-time favorites??

And what are the most interesting ones???? (The ones that really do something a little different, either somehow breaking new ground -- or putting material in a big-band (or "larger-band") context, that otherwise normally don't ever get the "big-band" treatment.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

484.jpg

Her latest effort. There's a thread about it in the New Releases forum.

5379943.jpg

A great one! I hope Guy's new programme (which I saw live), "Oort-Entropy", will see an official release (there were radio broadcasts from two concerts in Switzerland, and as Intakt is a swiss label and collaborator of the two festivals, I have hope...)

B000024RU9.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Now this is a great disc, if you can find it! It collects the best of several of Gruntz early albums, featuring many great musicians/soloists, among them a few famous americans, such as Elvin, Scofield, and Joe Henderson, as well as many top European artists (among them Concert Jazz Band co-founder Franco Ambrosetti).

ubu

Jemeel Moondoc - Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys

Either/Orchestra - Neo-Modernism

Bob Belden - Black Dahlia

Jazz on the Latin Side Allstars - Vols. 1 & 2

Barbara Dennerlein - Junkanoo

Joe Lovano - Rush Hour

Maria Schneider - Evanescence

Charlie Haden & The Liberation Music Orchestra - Dream Keeper

Sun Ra - Reflections In Blue

John Carter - Dance Of The Love Ghosts

Mike Westbrook - Westbrook-Rossini

John Lindberg - Trilogy Of Works For Eleven Instrumentalists

Gil Evans - Live At Sweet Basil

Vienna Art Orchestra - The Minimalism Of Eric Satie

George Russell - The African Game

John Tchicai - Merlin Vibrations

Bob Moses - Visit With The Great Spirit

Sam Rivers - Winds Of Manhattan

Gerald Wilson - Lomelin

Edited by Dmitry

Sorry ztrauq22,

The two which are impossible to see are:

Keith Tippett's Ark - Frames: actually from the very end of the 70s so really outside the brief of this thread. However, Tippett has been unable to get any more recent large group compositions recorded so this is the most recent example of his abilities. A crying shame...he was made to write for larger jazz groups. His 'Ark' group had all the instruments paired up - two pianos, two basses etc.

Orchesta National de France - Charmediterraneen - a wonderful extended piece with a vague theme associated with the various coasts of the Mediterranean. Gianluigi Trovesi (reeds) and Anouar Brahem (oud) are two of the featured soloists.

Sorry ztrauq22,

Keith Tippett's Ark - Frames: actually from the very end of the 70s so really outside the brief of this thread. However, Tippett has been unable to get any more recent large group compositions recorded so this is the most recent example of his abilities. A crying shame...he was made to write for larger jazz groups. His 'Ark' group had all the instruments paired up - two pianos, two basses etc.

Orchesta National de France - Charmediterraneen - a wonderful extended piece with a vague theme associated with the various coasts of the Mediterranean. Gianluigi Trovesi (reeds) and Anouar Brahem (oud) are two of the featured soloists.

:tup

Thanks again!

Sorry ztrauq22,

I heard Tippett's Ark perform live in Victoriaville, Canada (May, 2002). Keith told me it was only the fourth live performance they'd ever done!

Would that not have been his band 'Tapestry'? I don't think Ark has been active since the late 70s/early 80s.

I read an interview a few months back where Tippett made a similar point about Tapestry. It draws its members from several nations (including the great Pino Minafra from Italy) and so is very hard to get together. Tippett said that there was so little interest in booking the band that he was thinking of letting it go.

Such a pity. He's had just two large scale recordings in 35 years - 'Septober Energy' and 'Frames'.

I'm hoping the Bath Festival in the UK books the band before they cease. I suspect one of their handful of appearances might have been there.

Just found this on a UK site that sells Tippett CDs and puts out information about him:

This is the latest in a long line of Tippett’s big band projects that have included Centipede and Ark, and, like them, Tapestry is utterly original and unique. Containing a phenomenal ‘A’ list of twenty-one British jazz musicians and improvisers this band has performed to great acclaim at Festivals in Ruvo (Italy), Le Mans (France), Bath (England), Victoriaville (Canada) and Lisbon (Portugal). As yet unrecorded on CD this piece First Weaving is a dynamic full throttle affair, burning with electricity, swing and passion. Two fantastic performances in 2002 took place at FIMAV, Victoriaville, Canada, and Jazz em Agosto, Lisbon, Portugal. The latter Festival also showcased Keith Tippett solo and the Paul Dunmall Octet.

Keith Tippett’s First Weaving, directed by the composer with

Tenor saxophones Paul Dunmall, Simon Picard, Larry Stabbins

Alto saxophones Elton Dean, Kevin Figes, Ben Waghorn

Trumpets Henry Lowther, Jim Dvorak, Mark Charig, Gethin Liddington

Trombones Paul Rutherford, Malcolm Griffiths, Dave Amis

Tuba Oren Marshall

Voices Julie Tippetts, Maggie Nicols, Vivien Ellis

Piano Keith Tippett

Double bass Paul Rogers

Drums Louis Moholo, Tony Levin

http://www.mindyourownmusic.co.uk/keith-ti...nt-projects.htm