favorite modern jazz RECORDINGS w/ 10+ players

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

John Tchicai and Cadentia Nova Danica - Afrodisiaca (MPS)

Lester Bowie - Gittin' to Know Y'all (MPS)

Alan Silva - Seasons (BYG Actuel)

Alan Silva - My Country (Leo)

Barry Guy and the London Jazz Composers' Orchestra - Ode (Incus)

These are the ones I often pull out, anyway... and a third for the Don Ellis stuff. :tup

I can't beleive I didn't mention this outfit in my earlier post, but...

Malachi Thompson and Africa Brass!

Specifically, these three:

c134408g0u5.jpg     d29317wiypd.jpg

Lift Every Voice (Delmark, 1992)    Buddy Bolden's Rag (Delmark, 1995)

g13193wf0fd.jpg

Blue Jazz (Delmark, 2003)

Aside from his work with smaller groups, Malachi Thompson, the great Chicago trumpeter, often leads Africa Brass - a band comprising five trumpets, four trombones, sax, clarinet, and rhythm section, plus vocalists and usually some guest players like Gary Bartz, Billy Harper, and Lester Bowie.

This is innovative and adventurous music. All three of these albums are very highly recommended, but to choose just one, I say try out Blue Jazz and work backwards from there.

Edited by gdogus

• 3 weeks later...

B000040OHH.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is a CRAZYILY good album with the typical Holman TIGHT arrangement that are always full of surprises. The charts were all written for this date and for the players Holman had in mind.

I know of no other big band record of the era that swings as hard or has the richness of timbre and crazy counterpoint-- well, it's just a freaking GREAT record.

The band includes Bill Perkins, Pete Christeib, Bob Enevoldsen and all the usual hotshot LA players.

Sadly, I think this one is now out of print, but you should be able to track it down.

KILLER!

Edited by Allan Songer

• 1 year later...

another great one:

bandfoto.jpg

http://www.newjungleorchestra.com/

Pierre Dørge & New Jungle Orchestra

Has been around since 1980 - with some changes in the crew. They play worldmusic at the highest level, and they are in a class of their own. With a mixture of jazz, Asian, African and European music - and general madness - they create their own dadaistic universe, which gives the audience a unique and extraordinary experience. As it´s often the case, they are best live on stage, where you can hear music created by the saxophonist chewing on his leaf or Pierre playing a musical box as you know it from the kids room. Other instruments are sea shells used as trumpets or various Asian and African remedies. There are no limits and the catching joy and humour almost always guaranties a memorable concert for years to come. Pierre Dørge is a worthy heir to the Ellingtonian legacy.

(from the homepage)

I've got three of their Steeplechase discs (the self-titled one, Brikama & Johnny Lives) and like them a lot. Also got a live show on DVD - terrific! Harry Beckett, holy crap! And John Tchicai, Johnny Dyani, Marilyn Mazur and others were all part of this group at one time, keyboardist Irene Becker still is with them, it seems. Great outfit, for sure! I think I'd recommend "Johnny Lives" for those not familiar, but I don't know any of their more recent efforts.

Since the Funny Rat thread doesn't seem to get too many looks, I'm going to again recommend this box set, which I absolutely love. My post from Funny Rat:

For the past couple of months I've been listening to Andrea Centazzo / Mitteleuropa Orchestra: The Complete Recordings, and it is a very interesting listen. Counter to, for want of a better term I would call, "The New York School of Large Groups," the Mitteleuropa Orchestra has a much more composed feel to it, and I'm becoming convinced that Andrea Centazzo is very much an underrated musician/composer in todays music world. There are such artists as Franz Koglmann, Theo Jorgensmann, Gino Commisso, and a host of others. If you like large group music, that has a free jazz/composed feel to them, this box set is worth checking out. One word of warning: It is very poorly packaged, the cds come in a six-pack dvd case, and the liners look like the secretary went to the back room copier and then put them in the case. When it came to my home, the interior of the box was all broken up, so I had to buy a new, sturdier box for the cds. Given that though, I really enjoy the music.

501f.jpg