Art Hodes

paul secor

I like the Chronogical Classics I have, the bad thing being that they overlap with the King Jazz material I have in three other forms! I totally dig the Jazzology releases of the older stuff, Jazz Record Story, Trios and Quartets, Apex Blues. . . .The Delmarks are also great.

I ran across some lps that are out of print that are really nice solo piano on Euphoria; one has Hodes doing "Watermelon Man" and I love it! I'm a big Hodes fan. . . I still have some more to get but I'm slowly doing so, because I don't want to be at the end one day, and I am savoring them slowly. . . .

Mostlly I just lurk in this site, but occasionally something really activates my innards. Like the name Art Hodes. I've been a collector of his stuff for years, and an admirer ever since a friend of mine, a clarinetist who had played with him, tuned me in to him. My favorite,strangely enough is an lp of Christmas songs and carols, and I'm not a religious type of guy. A terrific record, and I can't find it, dammit. He also has a jazzoloogy lp of gospel tunes, but I prefer the Christmas stuff, also on Jazzology I think.

I agree that the Mosaic Bluenote stuff is top of the line,if you can get it.

In no particular order, I recommend the following:

Art Hodes and Milt Hinton "Just the Two of Us" Muse MR 5279

AH "Selections from thte Gutter" Storyville SLP4057

AH "ART of Hodes" Euphonic ESR 1207

"Albert Nicholas Quartet" with AH Delmark DL207

AH "Pagin Mr. Jelly" Candid 9037

All of these are LP's and probably hard to find, but you want to know what of Hodes is superb and these get my vote. IMHO. To me, there are no bad ones.

There are many more and I haven,t included any cd's . He recorded a great deal for Jazzology, and they have been putting a lot of their early stuff on cd. Later stuff I guess is all on Sackville. :tup

Lon turned me on to Hodes some years ago, and I do love his playing. I just scored the OOP Mosaic Commodore boxes and the Hodes Blue Note box at an auction and I'm really looking forward to revisiting the music (I've pieced together pretty much all the BN stuff between CD-Rs and Japanese reissues on CD but have NOT heard most of his stuff on Commodore).

Of later material I've only really heard PAGIN' MR. JELLY (Candid) and really enjoy it.

Anyone got his recordings on Mercury? I have a single track on the Mercury jazz 2 CD complilation that was out as part of the Verve 2-fer series a few years ago, and it's typically excellent.

Not TOO long ago (less than a year?)somebody posted a link to an online store that had vhs tapes of Art's tv series "Jazz Alley" for around $7.99 a tape. There were 3 of them with two half hour shows each on them. I bought all three and at that price they are a bargain. I can't remember which store it was - it may have been Allegro, but I'm not sure. Maybe some of these are still available, so if anybody knows anything about this they can please post it. These tapes had guys like Bud Freeman, Barney Bigard, Jimmy McPartland, Pee Wee, Tony Parenti, George Brunis.....on and on. Just great!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry I have to say it's not in print (he, he, he) but I have this one from the 7000 series.

B00002JX3F.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A nice slice of trad jazz from the days before Blue Note fully embraced bop. Small format dixieland with Sidney Bechet and much hot playing. I particularly like the 2/2 stomp that underlies many of the tracks. Recommendable.

Bluesnik said:
I'm sorry I have to say it's not in print (he, he, he), but I have this one from the 7000 series.

That was a great series, briefly available in Japan:

1998-99 Blue Note TOCJ Early Jazz Series

TOCJ 66006 Melancholy Boogie Woogie & Piano Classics: Meade Lux Lewis

TOCJ 66007 Summertime: Sidney Bechet & Port of Harlem Jazzmen

TOCJ 66008 St. Louis Blues: Sidney Bechet & Blue Note Jazzmen Vol. 1

TOCJ 66009 I Found A New Baby: Sidney Bechet & Blue Note Jazzmen Vol.2

TOCJ 66010 Profoundly Blue: Edmond Hall

TOCJ 66011 High Society: Jamming in Jazz with Blue Note Jazzmen

TOCJ 66012 Art Hodes: Low Down Blues - Out of the Back Room

TOCJ 66013 Art Hodes Hot Fives & Sevens: Shine

TOCJ 66014 Victory Stride-Swing Sessions featuring Ben Webster

TOCJ 66015 Blue Harlem: Ike Quebec Quintets and Swingtets

TOCJ 66016 Topsy: Ike Quebec Swing Seven

TOCJ 66017 Tired: John Hardee Swingets

Edited by Late
housekeeping

• 8 years later...

Finally got Pagin' Mr Jelly and needless to say: I love it!

Stacking up some more Hodes, I've always loved his music but never really got around to buy a lot of it.

Also got "Tribute to the Greats" (Delmark), which contains more from those Euphonic sessions mentioned above ... and I'm waiting for "Buket's Got a Hole in It" and "Jazz Record Story".

Guess I ought to get the second one with Albert Nicholas, too, I've had "New Orleans-Chicago Connection" for ten or so years and enjoy it a lot!

Would kill to get the Mosaic box ... the music is fabulous, happy to at least be able to hear it, but nothing beats the real thing!

Finally got Pagin' Mr Jelly and needless to say: I love it!

Stacking up some more Hodes, I've always loved his music but never really got around to buy a lot of it.

Also got "Tribute to the Greats" (Delmark), which contains more from those Euphonic sessions mentioned above ... and I'm waiting for "Buket's Got a Hole in It" and "Jazz Record Story".

Guess I ought to get the second one with Albert Nicholas, too, I've had "New Orleans-Chicago Connection" for ten or so years and enjoy it a lot!

Would kill to get the Mosaic box ... the music is fabulous, happy to at least be able to hear it, but nothing beats the real thing!

Get in line on that Mosaic box, Ubu. I've lusted after it for several years. I was just too poor back in the day to get every Mosaic I wanted, and that one slipped right through my greedy little fingers. Sigh.

gregmo

He also wrote some good liner notes, i have sone on a various artists Boogie Woogie collection talking 'bout Chicago back in the day.

Selections from the Gutter, a collection from the magazine, The Jazz Record, co-edited by Art Hodes and Chadwick Hansen, and with writings by Art Hodes and many others, is a fascinating book.

• 7 years later...
On 11/1/2004 at 1:25 AM, DrJ said:

Lon turned me on to Hodes some years ago, and I do love his playing. I just scored the OOP Mosaic Commodore boxes and the Hodes Blue Note box at an auction and I'm really looking forward to revisiting the music (I've pieced together pretty much all the BN stuff between CD-Rs and Japanese reissues on CD but have NOT heard most of his stuff on Commodore).

Of later material I've only really heard PAGIN' MR. JELLY (Candid) and really enjoy it.

Anyone got his recordings on Mercury? I have a single track on the Mercury jazz 2 CD complilation that was out as part of the Verve 2-fer series a few years ago, and it's typically excellent.

Re the Mercury compilation, it’s Hoagy Carmichael’s “Washboard Blues” (from the Truck Parkham duo session that Chuck mentions) and I just played it on the radio last week—it jumped out at me while I was listening to the Mercury set (The Mercury Records Jazz Story, well worth checking out). Several months ago a friend who’s doing some collection downsizing gave me his vinyl ediion of the Hodes Mosaic Blue Note set... man, is it good! Great notes by Dan Morgenstern as well. I’d already heard quite a few of the masters via the also-excellent Hot Jazz on Blue Note box-set (another buy-it-if-you-see-it item), but it’s great to hear all of Hodes’ Blue Note material presented in Mosaic fashion. Developing a whole new appreciation for Hodes as a pianist.

Edited by ghost of miles

14 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Re the Mercury compilation, it’s Hoagy Carmichael’s “Washboard Blues” (from the Truck Parkham duo session that Chuck mentions) and I just played it on the radio last week—it jumped out at me while I was listening to the Mercury set (The Mercury Records Jazz Story, well worth checking out). Several months ago a friend who’s doing some collection downsizing gave me his vinyl ediion of the Hodes Mosaic Blue Note set... man, is it good! Great notes by Dan Morgenstern as well. I’d already heard quite a few of the masters via the also-excellent Hot Jazz on Blue Note box-set (another buy-it-if-you-see-it item), but it’s great to hear all of Hodes’ Blue Note material presented in Mosaic fashion. Developing a whole new appreciation for Hodes as a pianist.

Much to my surprise it seems to be on Spotify. 

28 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Hodes is wonderful.  I was fortunate to have seen him live once with another O-member.