Art Hodes

paul secor

These two recordings combine Art Hodes' talents as a musician and a writer/storyteller.

SACD-41.jpg

SACD-39.jpg

Each is a 2 CD set.  The premise on each is that Mr. Hodes will play a bit of piano (often one of his tasty blues numbers) while telling tales about his experiences in the music biz including lots of anecdotes about the many famous musicians he knew and whom he was fortunate enough to play/record with back in the glory days of jazz.  The first set is about his New York stories and the other one is about Chicago based tales.  Not something I listen to often, but each is a very entertaining, engaging and rewarding listening experience

• 7 months later...

Here is a good piece by Whitney Balliett on Art Hodes (from the New Yorker archives), which I read last night and got me interested in listening to his albums again: https://storage.googleapis.com/cloudplayer/PDF/Art%20Hodes%20Mar%2030%2C%201981.pdf

There are a series of videos titled "Jazz Alley" available on DVD, parts of which are available on YouTube. Here are a few (you can search for "Art Hodes Jazz Alley" to find more):

Edited by hopkins

• 3 months later...
On 11/19/2004 at 7:44 PM, Late said:

1998-99 Blue Note TOCJ Early Jazz Series

TOCJ 66006 Melancholy Boogie Woogie & Piano Classics: Meade Lux Lewis

TOCJ 66007 Summertime: Sidney Bechet & Port of Harlem Jazzmen

TOCJ 66008 St. Louis Blues: Sidney Bechet & Blue Note Jazzmen Vol. 1

TOCJ 66009 I Found A New Baby: Sidney Bechet & Blue Note Jazzmen Vol.2

TOCJ 66010 Profoundly Blue: Edmond Hall

TOCJ 66011 High Society: Jamming in Jazz with Blue Note Jazzmen

TOCJ 66012 Art Hodes: Low Down Blues - Out of the Back Room

TOCJ 66013 Art Hodes Hot Fives & Sevens: Shine

TOCJ 66014 Victory Stride-Swing Sessions featuring Ben Webster

TOCJ 66015 Blue Harlem: Ike Quebec Quintets and Swingtets

TOCJ 66016 Topsy: Ike Quebec Swing Seven

TOCJ 66017 Tired: John Hardee Swingets

I have some of these, but I'm seeing there are many, many more. But I imagine they'll be really hard to get now. And I see I have some in different permutations. Like Edmond Hall's Profoundly Blue. Which I have as a domestic compilation of 3 or 4 sessions. And when I say domestic I mean EU or US releases. And those were mostly compilations with more material than the Japanese that, as is their use, only did reissues. Replicas of the old albums. The Meade Lux Lewis Boogie Woogie probably was on the BN CD First Day. And I'd be really interested in the Hardee Swingtets.

Edited by Bluesnik

2 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

I'd be really interested in the Hardee Swingtets.

If you can find it, maybe try this one as an alternative. It has 8 Blue Note tracks (master takes only) + sessions on H.R.S, Savoy, Signature, and Regent. It's a really good compilation in decent to very good sound.

CLA1136.jpg

• 3 weeks later...