Visit My Website

Vocalist Carol Sloane's blog. Some very interesting stories - Lenny Bruce, Jimmy Rowles, Carmen McRae, others. Carol is a great writer and I think you'd enjoy the read.

Marla

Yes, I did. Always had a soft spot for her. She's a good writer. One only usually thinks of people in one way. But really, they are all sorts of things you don't expect.

MG

I see that this thread was started a while ago. Blogs have probably progressed a bit since the early comments here. I find the ones that interest me most are written by musicians or people who focus almost exclusively on reviews.

A few I like:

1. Free Jazz

2. Point of Departure

3. Destination Out

4. Do the Math

5. Spider Monkey Stories

Some offer opportunities to add your comments, some don't. None that I've come across offer the wide-ranging discussions that take place at sites like Organissimo. They seem very specific in focus, which is where their strength lies, IMO.

Political or current events blogs are a different story altogether, with rambling discussions (shouting matches, flames, trolls, etc.) that go on forever. Extracting any insight at all from these discussions is pretty labor-intensive.

Anyways, my 2 cents. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have started my own jazz blog, Mule Walk & Jazz Talk:

http://www.thereisjazzbeforetrane.blogspot.com/

As title says, "Random thoughts, casual writings and specific research on early jazz styles. If you think there is no jazz before Coltrane, you may have come to the wrong place."

I will write in either English or Spanish (and hopefully sometimes in both).

Regards,

Agustín

I have started my own jazz blog, Mule Walk & Jazz Talk:

http://www.thereisjazzbeforetrane.blogspot.com/

As title says, "Random thoughts, casual writings and specific research on early jazz styles. If you think there is no jazz before Coltrane, you may have come to the wrong place."

I will write in either English or Spanish (and hopefully sometimes in both).

Regards,

Agustín

Excellent news!

Blogs seem to be all the rage in political circles, but are there any good ones in the jazz field?

Hear hear, Jim.

But let's clarify: You do mean a blog, not a forum, correct?

For, gentle reader, 'here's my story, sad but true':

I wasted time on both Branford Marsalis' and for a shorter time Phil Woods' forums. I am a musician and should've known better. For the record, Phil has been a friend to me and continues to be. Bran has always been cool with me even when I took the craziness on his site (not to mention myself) waaay too seriously. I came away with some friends from Bran's.

Remember I said I wasted time. My thing, my trip. I don't have the time to waste anymore and don't. I spend every spare minute trying to get gigs or practice or compose.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but my experience has been that on these forums---especially the ones centered around a single personality-0--things can get rather nasty. There's a lot of ass-kissing and even more trolling. You can do as you please, but my advice would be to either read a blog if interested (as opposed to a forum) or, better yet, find some friends to hear your heroes with when they come to town. Or support local guys like Jim and the crew.

Also I'd be leery of even a blog. It's only opinion and should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Get to know the music and as you do your ears will improve and then your taste. Trust me on this one. (For the record I tried my own blog briefly on my myspace page, but simply haven't the time or interest to keep it up. I hope someone saw it and got something out of it. If interested: www.myspace.com/joelfass and click on blogs---or something :excited::g ) If you don't have the time, better yet :excited:;):P

Having said all this, this forum is the best by far I've seen. People don't take themselves too seriously, the guys are local good players and too busy cranking out a living for ass-kissing even if there were any. I haven't encountered trolls here, and if there are any they are nowhere near as insane as the ones I had the misforune to meet on both Bran and Phils joints.

I like it here, but still only come here for amusement after a long day. :D:g:party:

Edited by fasstrack

• 4 years later...