Rock On Roxy....

tonym

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, this is becoming rather enjoyable --- this nostalgia trip we're on.

So, dust of those marvellous, timeless covers of scantily clad models (was it a man???) and let me have your opinions on one of the most remarkable bands ever....(remarkable that they even made a second album!).

All the denim wearing, beer guzzling fella's from the Zep thread can throw on a cummerbund, spritz up a dry Martini and tell us why?

BTW, Ghost of Miles... i got this idea from your espousal of Roxy induced seduction techniques!

Guest Chaney

One of my very favorite bands when I was a youngin'.

I voted for "For Your Pleasure" as my personal favorite as I found "In Every Dream Home a Heartache" bizzare beyond words when I was a lad.

roxyalbums_fyp1.jpg

Can't go wrong with "Country Life" also.

It's a shame that Ferry more and more took over the band until there was little difference between the Roxy disk and a Ferry solo outing. (Hearing entire albums pass by with nary a solo by Manazanera became more than I could take so I finally bailed.)

Gads. I had all of these on vinyl and I gave them away. :(

Edited by Chaney

What a timely topic as I just bought used the 4CD box set 'The Thrill of it All' (beautiful box, highly recommended). Wonderful music throughout and all the studio albums are excellent in their own way. However I had to vote for the debut album as I still recall the excitement of hearing that music for the first time. It was so radically different to anything else out there, "Virginia Plain" was like nothing I had ever heard before. Definitely style with substance and my favorite 70's rock group, I have very fond memories of seeing them at the Rainbow in London in 1973.

By the way David, I believe that an official double CD of the reunion tour will be released on June 3rd. There are also bootlegs out there.

One of my all time favorite bands. Like Chaney above, I voted for FOR YOUR PLEASURE. This was my first exposure to Roxy Music and it has an errie quality to it that makes it special. All of their studio work is excellent though. My other two favorites would be STRANDED and FLESH AND BLOOD.

I am still torn between Stranded and Country Life, although i love the first five albums for different reasons.

When i was at school 14 maybe, a friend of mine and i used to take turns to purchase the albums and then spend time with each one. Most were secondhand from the only such store in town. It sounds cliched but you just couldn't wait to get home to spin it. He ended up owning half, and I the other!

This was at a time when the only rock alternatives were Queen and other early '80's faves

The covers were also a bit on the saucy side which meant when Grannie came around you couldn't have Country Life lying on the floor.

That Eno influence really made them stand out stylistically but if you got past that, you just realised the were bloody good tunes, well sequenced and excellently played.

One Mojo issue about 7 years ago was packed with Roxy stuff (it was about the same time as their anthology).

It's a tough one...i still need time!

cheers, tony.

I've never heard a Roxy Music album, so I sort of feel like I shouldn't be posting in this thread, but I went to AMG to read up on them and came across this:

Brian Peter George St. Baptiste de la Salle Eno

now that is one hellof a name! talk about parents being unable to make up their minds and going with thir five favorite choices...

Edited by John B