Ornette Coleman: Upcoming box?

Guest Chaney

There's a short thread on the Revenant Ayler set over on the Hoffman Forum. Here's the post of Christopher J:

Dan Warburton's review is well-informed and thorough as always, but he sure seems to be looking hard for something to complain about. I think the case should be plainly stated that the sound quality here blows away the bootleg releases he mentions. And his assertion that the Ayler interviews should have been included as .mp3 files is well, absurd.

I really don't think there are enough superlatives to describe this set. If there were any justice in this world Revenant would be getting another Grammy, because you won't see another innovator's work presented with such care and dedication any time soon (at least until Dean Blackwood finishes work on the upcoming Ornette box). Anyone with any interest in Ayler owes it to themselves to pick this set up.

Anyone know anything about this upcoming Ornette box?

There's a short thread on the Revenant Ayler set over on the Hoffman Forum. Here's the post of Christopher J:

Dan Warburton's review is well-informed and thorough as always, but he sure seems to be looking hard for something to complain about. I think the case should be plainly stated that the sound quality here blows away the bootleg releases he mentions. And his assertion that the Ayler interviews should have been included as .mp3 files is well, absurd.

I really don't think there are enough superlatives to describe this set. If there were any justice in this world Revenant would be getting another Grammy, because you won't see another innovator's work presented with such care and dedication any time soon (at least until Dean Blackwood finishes work on the upcoming Ornette box). Anyone with any interest in Ayler owes it to themselves to pick this set up.

Anyone know anything about this upcoming Ornette box?

I remember hearing about it on the Yahoo Ornette list a while ago, but no real details. No time today to check the archives for info.

Could you imagine the complete concert ...

octh.jpg

We'd finally get to hear David Izenson's solo track "Taurus"!

But ... in addition to Ornette, Dookie Coleman might raise some estate-related objections. I mean, exotic dancing ain't all it's cracked up to be, and if a guy has a chance to make a buck ...

• 2 weeks later...

This from the Yahoo Ornette list:

This from Dean Blackwood:

"Nothing earthshattering to report. Things are still on a positive track with OC and DC. I feel good about the prospects, but also feel it will be a while coming.

It was a great show and Austin really turned out in big, enthusiastic numbers.

Dean"

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 12 years later...