Hampton Hawes

slide_advantage_redoux

I bought a re-release entitled "Blues for Bud" recorded originally in Paris in March '68, with Hampton Hawes in a trio setting accomp. by Jimmy Woode and Art Taylor. WOW! This is one fine date, and the recording quality and engineering is wonderful. Art Taylor kicks butt on this session.

I have to admit that I never really checked Hawes out. I really was impressed by the maturity of his keyboard technique, the advanced harmonic sense he has and how easily he can just flat out GROOVE. He swings his ass off.

Are there any recommended Websites or resources otherwise specifically dedicated to him?

Thanks all. If you don't have this CD, it was released on 1201 Music. (in 1989). There are alternate takes, and one previously unreleased rendition (solo) of him playing "They say it's wonderful".

I particularly like the trio treatment of 'My Romance" :g

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Don't forget (on LP) -- "The Challenge." One of the *great* solo piano records ever, IMO. Easy enough to find a copy of, I think.

Also, "The Sermon" (not sure if it's on CD yet) -- w/ Leroy Vinnegar on bass playing jazzed-up versions of spirituals.

I also like "The Seance" a lot too, sort of a later recording compared with all of his great 50s stuff, but on acoustic piano throughout.

Has anyone heard his electric piano work? I haven't, but there's no reason why it couldn't be amazing, in principle.

this

Chrome Posted on Nov 5 2004, 02:49 PM

I really like his "All-Night Sessions"

and this

doubleM Posted on Nov 5 2004, 03:01 PM

I agree about the book, it's a MUST read. Even for those who aren't jazz-inclined.

and this

j lee Posted on Nov 5 2004, 04:27 PM

Don't forget (on LP) -- "The Challenge." One of the *great* solo piano records ever

and just about everything else.......

Though some of his electric piano jaunts might not qualify....

Agree with all the above. The Harold Land/Hawes/La Faro/Butler session is perfect.

Also Ck/out his recordings on Black Lion

AND his final recording on Art Pepper's "comeback" album "Living Legend" (1976)

where he plays with great taste, drive and style...and takes a breath taking solo on "Here's that Rainy Day".

IMHO, this is one of his best:

GreenLeaves.JPG

I purchased a copy of that LP, and it is on its way.

By the way, I was fortunate to stumble across a paperback copy of his "Raise up off of me" in a local used book store today. I know what I will be reading for the next week or so.

Thanks all. I appreciate the recommendations.

Guest ariceffron

HAMPTON HAWES WAS A GREAT PIANO PLAYER WHO MADE A NAME FOR HIMSELF IN THE VIBRANT LOS ANGELES JAZZ SCENE OF THE 50S. HE HAD SIX FINGERS BUT THIS IS NOT WHY HE WAS SO GOOD AS I THINK THEY CUT THE EXTRA OFF WHEN HE WAS LITTLE. SOME OF HIS BEST EARLY RECORDS ARE HIS LIVE ALBUMS WITH JIMMY HALL, WHO I SAW IN CONCERT LAST NIGHT, ON CONTEMPORARY RECORDS. THEY WERE RECORDED IN A ALMOST EMPTY GYMNANSIUM IN THE GHETTO. 3 VOLUMES WORTH I BELIEVE. OTHER PEOPLE CAN CUE YOU IN TO HIS LATER STUFF FROM THE 60S AND 70S. HE ALSO WROTE A GREAT AUTOBIOGRAPHY WHICH IS ONE OF THE FEW MUST READ AUTOBIOS IN JAZZ, CALLED RISE UP OFF OF ME. ON A SIDE NOTE IT WAS FUNNY LAST NIGHT WHEN JIM HALL WAS PLUGGING IN HIS AMP AND STUFF HE WENT TO THE MIC AND SAID::: 'PAT METHENY HAS A WHOLE CREW OF PEOPLE TO DO THIS FOR HIM'-- FUNNY!

• 8 years later...

I bought a re-release entitled "Blues for Bud" recorded originally in Paris in March '68, with Hampton Hawes in a trio setting accomp. by Jimmy Woode and Art Taylor. WOW! This is one fine date, and the recording quality and engineering is wonderful. Art Taylor kicks butt on this session.

I have to admit that I never really checked Hawes out. I really was impressed by the maturity of his keyboard technique, the advanced harmonic sense he has and how easily he can just flat out GROOVE. He swings his ass off.

Are there any recommended Websites or resources otherwise specifically dedicated to him?

Thanks all. If you don't have this CD, it was released on 1201 Music. (in 1989). There are alternate takes, and one previously unreleased rendition (solo) of him playing "They say it's wonderful".

I particularly like the trio treatment of 'My Romance" :g

Yeah, I have this on an old UK Polydor LP. It's really good.

Second the recommendations for his Contemporary sides w/ Jim Hall, and I've got several trio discs from that period that are also quite strong. Still need For Real! as it looks stupendous. Am curious to hear the double-piano record with Martial Solal, released by BYG.

And: Happy Hampton Hawes Day!

Jim Hall played on the Contemporary All Night Sessions (v. 1-3) and Kessel on Four!!! iirc.

Happy Hampton Hawes Day! Blues for Bud is my favorite Hawes album. I'm a relative latecomer to jazz, but Hamp was instrumental in my "conversion" - his trio version of "My Romance" on the above album got me curious...

Jim Hall played on the Contemporary All Night Sessions (v. 1-3) and Kessel on Four!!! iirc.

Happy Hampton Hawes Day! Blues for Bud is my favorite Hawes album. I'm a relative latecomer to jazz, but Hamp was instrumental in my "conversion" - his trio version of "My Romance" on the above album got me curious...

You're right. Though it seems almost like Barney Kessell is the only guitar player who appears on Contemporary.

HAMPTON HAWES WAS A GREAT PIANO PLAYER WHO MADE A NAME FOR HIMSELF IN THE VIBRANT LOS ANGELES JAZZ SCENE OF THE 50S. HE HAD SIX FINGERS BUT THIS IS NOT WHY HE WAS SO GOOD AS I THINK THEY CUT THE EXTRA OFF WHEN HE WAS LITTLE. SOME OF HIS BEST EARLY RECORDS ARE HIS LIVE ALBUMS WITH JIMMY HALL, WHO I SAW IN CONCERT LAST NIGHT, ON CONTEMPORARY RECORDS. THEY WERE RECORDED IN A ALMOST EMPTY GYMNANSIUM IN THE GHETTO. 3 VOLUMES WORTH I BELIEVE. OTHER PEOPLE CAN CUE YOU IN TO HIS LATER STUFF FROM THE 60S AND 70S. HE ALSO WROTE A GREAT AUTOBIOGRAPHY WHICH IS ONE OF THE FEW MUST READ AUTOBIOS IN JAZZ, CALLED RISE UP OFF OF ME. ON A SIDE NOTE IT WAS FUNNY LAST NIGHT WHEN JIM HALL WAS PLUGGING IN HIS AMP AND STUFF HE WENT TO THE MIC AND SAID::: 'PAT METHENY HAS A WHOLE CREW OF PEOPLE TO DO THIS FOR HIM'-- FUNNY!

Why did Chewy get banned? :unsure:

I love HH. I have lots of his stuff and play it all quite frequently.

My favourite albums are (in no particular order)

The green leaves of summer (Contemporary)

High in the sky (Vault)

At the piano (Contemporary)

The sermon (Contemporary)

Somethin' special (Contemporary)

MG