I got a free Mosaic!

Alec

A little while ago, I bid on and won a fairly cheap Bobby Hackett set on ebay. Unfortunatly, a week later the seller refunded my money saying he couldn't find all the cds or the box. (I wasn't pleased that he sold something he didn't really have).

So imagine my surprise today when a package from the seller arrived at my door. It wasn't the Hackett, but "The Classic Columbia and Okeh Joe Venuti and Eddie Lang Sessions." Inside the box was a packing slip with the real buyer's information.

I debated keeping it :w (okay, it wasn't a long debate) and quickly emailed the seller to send me some $$ for postage and I'd send it off to its rightful owner.

Now since I have good karma I should find a cheap Thad Jones/ Mel Lewis Mosaic at my used cd store this week! B-)

I once had some expensive furniture delivered which had to be paid cash on delivery. The sum was somewhere around $6000. The driver who brought the stuff spent about 30 minutes writing up some forms we both signed (I received the furniture, he received the money). He then asked to use the bathroom. When he was done, he grabbed the papers, left the money on the table and walked out.

Imagine my surprise.

He had told me that I was first on his list and that he still had about 40 deliveries to run. For about three hours I debated with myself if I should keep the money. Hell, the guy could have lost it on the way somewhere ... and he had signed that he had received it from me. And, I was flat broke at the time.

I then called the guy on his cell phone (I had his number from before because we had to arrange time of delivery).

Here comes the good one. He came by later that day, took the money and left ... without a single word of thanks.

Should've kept it.

Cheers!

Edited by deus62

Well, I got two mosaic sets free, sort of...

It happened just a few days ago I got a note saying that I could collect a parcel from the US.

It was Mosaic, but alas, not something I had ordered, I think it was the parcel that was mailed end of July, reported lost and for which I received a replacement. (It could also be the parcel from Mosaic that was ordered and never arrived in June (it also never arrived and a replacement sent). Never happened before, they have always arrived, and with it happenenig twice in a row, I was beginning to wonder it somewhere a mosaic addict had found a new, rather unorthdox, way of supporting his habit.

As to which parcel was lost and now has been found, I don't really know, I haven't in fact opened it, so as not to mess up the packing before returning it.

Edited by andersf

Mosaic once sent me two separate orders of a box I'd ordered one copy of - the Otis Spann/Lightnin' Hopkins box. After I returned the duplicate, I mentioned it to a friend who's a blues collector. He said that he didn't have a copy, and that I could have given the duplicate to him without Mosaic being the wiser. I was glad that I didn't have to make the choice between being honest or helping out a friend.

Not quite like getting a free Mosaic, but some time ago I purchased the vinyl edition of the Parlan Mosaic. About a month later, I got a call from Mosaic saying they were still holding my Parlan set, and did I still want it. By that time, it had gone OOP, no copies left.

Had I been a quicker thinker, or a more agile "operator," I suppose I could have said, "Golly, yes, please send it immediately!" ;) I could have probably doubled my money on EBAY (thus paying for my previous Mosaic). But being the honest soul I am, and not wishing to fib to the very nice lady at Mosaic, I explained that I already received my set. She thanked me and said they had one collector begging them for the set, and that this would make him very happy. I'm sure it did :g Made me feel kind of good too :)

Recently I asked Mosaic to send me a different outer box for the Kid Ory set - the one I'd received had flaws in the pressing of the adhesive photo on the outside, it was all wrinkled in one corner. As usual they graciously agreed, but when I opened the box that arrived a couple days later it turned out to be a JAZZTET box - the whole thing (not just the outer box), including a press release! Weird one, they couldn't figure out how I got what was a reviewer's copy. The booklet didn't have a number, just "promo" written in the space.

Anyway, this one tested the limits of my honesty, let me tell you, but I fessed up and shipped it back! They sent the correct replacement Ory box and it was perfect, so all ended up happily.