How much TV do you watch?

I've decided I watch too much. When we first moved into our new house, we didn't have anything better than basic cable (which means local channels, the horrible public access channels, the Golf Channel, and Fox News.) Needless to say, we didn't watch a lot of TV.

Then I got a cable modem and my wife's sister, who was living with us at the time, wanted more options on the dial, so we upgraded our service. Now I find myself watching ridiculous TV, because it's there.

My initial reaction to my sudden revelation is to throw the fuckin' TV out the window and listen and/or create more music! :) But realistically, I'm going to make a conscious effort to watch less.

So, as of now, I hereby decree that I will watch only Piston basketball games (if time allows) and the occasional Lions game, 60 minutes, and Antiques Roadshow. I can choose any combination of these each week, but they cannot add up to more than 4 hours of viewing time per week.

I'm going to get my wife to join me. I don't want to be a TV zombie, nor do I want my child to turn into one.

The exceptions to the rule are the occasional movie rental (which is very rare) or if the Pistons make the play-offs again this season. :)

:g

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife watches way, way too much, and usually if I drift in to talk to her, I stay and watch some stupid cold case file. She's also a sports junkie and watches pretty much all the Cubs, Sox, Bulls and Bears games. I actually didn't own a tv until we hooked up.

For me one of the main advantages of the dumbing down of TV is that I watch very little of my own accord. In terms of the shows I set out to watch, I think I am just down to Simpsons (which is usually just so-so) and Arrested Development. I've got a whole shelf of DVDs I only rarely watch. I guess I make up for it on internet surfing though.

I haven't watched a television (or seen a movie) since the mid-seventies. (Obviously, I'm ignoring the accidental viewings I have while passing through the television section of a department store or walking through a sports bar...)

Even prior to the mid-seventies, i didn't watch much - a few minutes a day.

In answer to the anticipate-able question: I read and I listen and I see the world.

I don't watch TV at all except Sunday NFL.

I did watch the election returns last Tuesday night. Other than that, I don't watch anything.

I would even cancel my cablevision except I'd miss the NFL when it's in season. I don't even watch any other sports. I don't watch the news nor any shows.

I spend my time on this board! or with my friends, or reading or playing chess or working. I spend 11 hours per day on my job. Got to do something about that.

Yet, I feel that I still waste too much time.

WAY TOO MUCH. But it's part of what makes me an American! I didn't watch tv when I lived outside the States and I paid the cultural price with alienation and depression. Now at least I can talk to people I meet and have frequent contact with about what was on the tube!

One show I won't give up watching as long as they run it: "Now" on PBS. :tup

Very little. I got out of the habit of TV watching when I was a student 1973-7 and had no real access to a TV. Much rather listen to music or read.

Having said that I do enjoy a well made series, documentary (especially if historically or musically related) or comedy show. But they are few and far between - which suits me fine!

The only thing I've watched in the last seven days is a tribute to the late John Peel on the BBC last night. Very moving.

I don't watch hardly any at all. Some CNN once in a while, and if something is good on Discovery, I'll watch that, but less than 3 hours a week all together.

However, I am a video game/DVD junkie, so I don't know if that makes me any better.

I use to watch a lot of TV, mostly sports and sitcoms, but then I got a job where there are a lot of evening meetings and fell out of the habit. At first, I did long for TV when there was an important game, or the Simpsons were on, but as time went by, I missed it all less and less. Now, I consider it a great blessing that I do not watch TV at all. I realize however, that I have to be careful not to fall back into the habit, I truly believe that television is an addiction and I need to avoid it to improve my quality of life.

Oh, lots of it! I'm a media whore - though some of that stems from my job, trying to keep up with pop culture and all that. But all that "official" stuff aside, I'm simply a TV junkie.

It often shocks me - still - when I hear about people who don't watch any TV (or even don't have TVs in their homes). I mean, yeah, there's a lot of crap on that glass teat, but there's a lot of terrific serialized drama, news programs, documentaries, etc. Not to mention movies. Do those of you who don't "watch TV" also not watch movies or videotapes? There's a big distinction, to me, of TV as a "delivery device" and as a programming medium. Is watching a sporting event on TV, for you guys, the same as "watching TV" or is your disdain of the device due to lowest common denominator dramas and formulaic sitcoms? If the latter, I can understand - but with hundreds of channels now available you can find some very good stuff on the tube while avoiding the shit (or whatever one deems shit).

Oh, lots of it! I'm a media whore - though some of that stems from my job, trying to keep up with pop culture and all that. But all that "official" stuff aside, I'm simply a TV junkie.

It often shocks me - still - when I hear about people who don't watch any TV (or even don't have TVs in their homes). I mean, yeah, there's a lot of crap on that glass teat, but there's a lot of terrific serialized drama, news programs, documentaries, etc. Not to mention movies. Do those of you who don't "watch TV" also not watch movies or videotapes? There's a big distinction, to me, of TV as a "delivery device" and as a programming medium. Is watching a sporting event on TV, for you guys, the same as "watching TV" or is your disdain of the device due to lowest common denominator dramas and formulaic sitcoms? If the latter, I can understand - but with hundreds of channels now available you can find some very good stuff on the tube while avoiding the shit (or whatever one deems shit).

I just prefer reading to watching television. It's the difference between depth and surface fascination. I think there are some terrific TV programs on, but I just prefer putting some jazz on and picking up a book, newspaper, or magazine.

I mean, no television, no movies, no DVDs, etc. I don't want to get too personal, but I feel that televison has, to some extent, made death a comfortable thing for people, and it was becoming comfortable for me. I made the decision to stop all tv because of the follow event. I was watching the local evening news and they showed a person being shot to death. I was unnerved by this, and it really caused me to re-examine what tv is doing to my soul. I asked myself: "Do I want to have tv as a part of my life, a business that makes money off of showing the actual death of a person?" I said no. There's still a part of me that feels that tug from violence and watching various things on tv, but for me, AND JUST FOR ME (not saying this is true for all people) it became a moral choice. I'm not being preachy, this is just part of my own personal journey of trying to live in this world the best I can; other people of course, have a different take on this.

My wife watches way, way too much, and usually if I drift in to talk to her, I stay and watch some stupid cold case file.

This mirrors my situation. My wife was in the hospital for the entire month of October (she's out now, and doing okay), and during that time, I turned on the tube maybe twice at home. I just generally feel better when it's off. And I have to say, there's one bill that really pisses me off every month, and that's the cable bill. Almost $500 a year for the priviledge of watching commercial tv. :angry:

But I deal with it...

Not watching much TV is a personal choice. There's no moral or intellectual superiority involved in choosing not to watch; any more than there is in choosing one musical genre over another.

Free time is limited and there are a zillion options in the modern world of how to make use of that time. I don't watch TV much for the same reason I don't watch football. There are other things that absorb me far more.

I don't have cable or satellite TV. I don't follow or watch sports... although I did watch a bit of the baseball playoffs and World Series.

I watch some of the news shows, Smallville and Everwood. Smallville deserves to be labeled a guilty pleasure but Everwood is an excellent show.

I also fall asleep to reruns of Seinfeld at 10:00 p.m. on Fox. (I'm not a night owl.)

I at one time went without a TV for two months. I'm not at all certain I made the right choice in buying a set.

Three or four years ago, much more TV than now. At one time I watched a number of sitcoms regularly but slowly let shows like Friends and Frasier slip away.

Lately, I've spent more time on the PC while my wife is watching a movie or Sci-Fi or something like that. Now that I think about it, that coincides with my marriage, when suddenly I had a PC in the house when my wife moved in. So, I started doing things on the PC and got away from TV.

Currently, my regular watching can be summed up as:

Newshour

Seinfeld

Occasional College or Pro Football

Who's Line is it Anyway?