Addicted to Organissimo

ejp626

Well, this is just my personal story. I really have not been enjoying my job much, and I tend to have more free time than is good. And I have been so depressed about the election that I took some comfort in the political forum (yet still better grounded in reality by far than dailyKos). It got to the point I was checking the board every 15 minutes just to see what had been said and if there was any active topic anywhere. Well, that's just going too far. While I probably would come back to some kind of equilibrium myself, I am going to sort of turn myself in and ask our company IT person to block the site. (I am the only member at my company which is pretty small.) It's clearly my own lack of will-power but I just can't afford the temptation anymore, and I need to focus on my job again. I'll still be on in the evenings for sure.

Right, it's one thing if it is a few minutes during my break, but when that adds up as it has over the last month, ultimately it is stealing from the company. And even though I am pretty tired of this company, I don't need that on my conscience. I wouldn't do it if there were other jazz fans at the company though.

I think it's smart to stay off the site at work. I have determined to do the same. I've made it a practice to separate work and Org and otehr fun outside activities. I simply wait until I get home-- then go nuts :lol:

But I'm not sure if you should "turn yourself in," as who knows what the repercussions will be? Much better to take the step on your own. Also, perhaps you should address whatever it is that is making work less involving for you. Maybe you should be spending some time at Monster.com or other job hunting site, if your current employment has lost its appeal. Or talk to your boss and see if you can get more interesting assignments or projects. Not trying to play "Dear Abbby," but I've been there and done that. Good luck!

Actually, I have a good relationship with the IT person. We were having a discussion one day about whether she should block ebay and so on. I think if I asked her to block this site, it really wouldn't be a big deal and it would just remove the temptation. Even if I logged out from my computer, I could still lurk, and I would.

I do appreciate your concern about my situation.

Not sure if I want to go too deep into the job thing here, rather than non-political. But I did talk to another company and got kind of a we want to hire you but need the economy to pick up, and I am pretty sure they were sincere. I work in transportation planning/forecasting and so much of what we do is wrapped up in waiting for a new transportation reauthorization bill to be passed by Congress.

But really my goal now is to get a full time academic position. I finished my PhD early this year, which was a real strain since I was working full time. Now I want to publish the dissertation as a book and write articles, etc. Eventually my body is just going to give out from lack of sleep. So I am gearing up to go on the academic job market starting in the summer, and I am nervously looking forward to that. As mentioned in the political forums, I am definitely looking for non-US employment if possible.

Well, I'll bet I am one of the worst offenders when it comes to cruising through the big "O" while officially "on the clock." I'd say I do it a dozen or more times a day. If I'm feeling particularly enthusiastic and motivated about work, I will accomplish a task before going back to check the "new posts" page. Of course, sometimes that one task is checking email and writing a two sentence response. :g

What I miss is the alignment of my previous office. I was against the wall so any visitors would be seen long before they'd see what was on my monitor.

Now, unfortunately, I am in a high traffic area with the desk against the wall, and the boss is in the office on the other side of the wall. At one point she saw me cruising through CNN or checking hotmail and made a comment about proper use of company time ... I cut back a bit but it didn't last long. What's funny is how often she sticks her head around the door to say something to me, and like an epileptic fit, my mouse shoots toward the upper right corner of the mousepad to close the window or at least minimize it. Seems so obvious to me but she hasn't said anything in a while.

Not having sufficient cash flow for full salaries might have something to do with her reticence though. :alien:

I'm going to try one thing first. ZoneAlarm can apparently block individual websites. It would be a lot better if I can use it myself to block the big O during work hours, then turn it off if I am working late or on weekends. Anyway, talk to you this evening.

Eric

Actually, I have a good relationship with the IT person. We were having a discussion one day about whether she should block ebay and so on. I think if I asked her to block this site, it really wouldn't be a big deal and it would just remove the temptation. Even if I logged out from my computer, I could still lurk, and I would.

I do appreciate your concern about my situation.

Not sure if I want to go too deep into the job thing here, rather than non-political. But I did talk to another company and got kind of a we want to hire you but need the economy to pick up, and I am pretty sure they were sincere. I work in transportation planning/forecasting and so much of what we do is wrapped up in waiting for a new transportation reauthorization bill to be passed by Congress.

But really my goal now is to get a full time academic position. I finished my PhD early this year, which was a real strain since I was working full time. Now I want to publish the dissertation as a book and write articles, etc. Eventually my body is just going to give out from lack of sleep. So I am gearing up to go on the academic job market starting in the summer, and I am nervously looking forward to that. As mentioned in the political forums, I am definitely looking for non-US employment if possible.

I finsihed my PhD last year (yeah, I know, hard to believe ;) ) also while working full time, and I can say that it takes a long time to recover from the strain and the concerted effort. Like they say over in the physics department, "Every action produces an equal but opposite reaction." ] John Lennon said it better: "Instant Karma's gonna get you." ]. Anyway, my point is that your brain is probably seeking some R&R, and Org is like a mini-vacation. If you get an academic position, you'll have plenty of time for Org :lol: