New Mosaic Schedule of Releases

Hot off the press!

JULY--VINYL Version of Miles at the Blackhawk(6 LPs)

SEPTEMBER--Complete Gerry Mulligan Jazz Concert Band

4cds

NOVEMBER--Complete Verve Roy Eldridge Studio Sessions--

7cds

Mosaic Selects

SEPTEMBER Paul Chambers & John Patton

End of the Year: Curtis Amy & Duke Pearson

Can someone summarize what albums are included in each of the four Mosaic Selects to be released yet this year??? (Album titles, and the original year they were recorded. We can all look up the details of sidemen and tunes for ourselves.)

I know this has been discussed, but it would be good to have all that info all in one place. Thanks!!! (I'd do it myself, but I'm not sure what's really "official", especially when it comes to the Curtis Amy and Duke Pearson sets.) Thanks again!!

Well, my Christmas list is done. I wish shopping for my wife was as simple.

Ain't that the truth!

Wow, I can't believe the Curtis Amy got the green light--that's the kind of set Mosaic Select was made for. But I'm very psyched about a number of these releases (Eldridge, Mulligan, and the Pearson, too).

• 4 weeks later...

I hope that the Pearson Select will include the three unissued tracks "Is That So?" (10/3/69), "Come On Over My Love" (11/21/69) and "Dialog" (11/21/69). Michael omitted these when he put out that compilation CD in the mid 90s, but the other tracks from the two sessions for the would-be-album-that-was-not-issued are terrific and I want to hear these last three items. This double session had a Latino flavor and featured Airto among others. Such issued pieces as "Xibaba" and "Canto de Ossanha" are great. The "Canto" track was the cause of the mini controversy about which clarinet Frank Foster plays. Erroneously listed as an alto clarinet, it is actually the Eb contrabass clarinet an octave lower than the alto; with its extension to its low C, it is capable of playing the bottom E of the bass fiddle, which Frank does in unison with Ron Carter. This piece of plumbing turns up on an Elvin Jones BN date; on the LP, it was listed as a bass clarinet!

I'm eagerly awaiting the vinyl Blackhawk set-moreso now that I've heard how great the cds sound! This is a rare treat for those of us into the quintet with Mobley (can't wait to hear "No Blues" on premium vinyl). I'm definitely in for the Roy Eldridge set too-7 discs of just great music! And the Mulligan, and the selects, and...

:rolleyes:

Son-of-a-Weizen: How is that RG Prelude box?

A real winner! A number of previously unissued versions of "Satin Doll" (with a healthy level of background crowd chatter), "Cherokee" and 'One-O'Clock Jump"....as well as a "Lil' Darlin" false start. Sound quality is excellent.....b&w booklet is in japanese. As for the packaging, it's truly a shame that this Garland box hit the shelves after the first of the Mosaic Select sets were released because had the Mosaic folks seen this beautiful, glossy, sturdy black box, I've no doubt that they would have made an effort to duplicate it rather than go the low-quality flimsy cardboard route. When you hold the Carmell Jones Select in one hand and the Garland box in the other you just have to shake your head and wonder.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Garland PRELUDE box last week and have been enjoying it immensely. He was in top form for sure. Just listened to "Satin Doll" from the 3rd set this afternoon, lots of fodder for musical quote-mongers in there!

Too bad that the piano sounds as though it could have used the attention of a TEAM of tuners, though. With music this good, and a remastering and packaging this nice, it really does mar the experience a bit to have such a crappy piano captured for all of eternity.

Edited by DrJ

Ghost, it includes the complete recorded contents of a Red Garland Trio gig at The Prelude, a NYC club, from Oct 2, 1959, 3 CDs worth of material with only a couple of titles repeated. Specs Wright is on drums and Jimmy Rowser on bass. Much of the music had been released on several LPs and then on I believe 3 CDs in the past, but this set brings it all together in a nice remastering and with 4 previously unissued tracks - 3 are definitely up to snuff, while a 4th is a false start so not really a big deal to have it in my view.

I decided to pull the trigger because it seems quetionable to me whether Fantasy will issue this in the U.S., although they might. That would be good because the liners are in Japanese except for basics (musicians, track titles, producer, etc).

I got mine by doing an Amazon search and then going with one of the partner discount retailers they often have selling things for less (in this case an outfit called Imported that gave excellent service): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/store...8861106-3659343

It's a bit pricey, but personally I think worth it. Others might want to wait to see if U.S. Fantasy gets it out for less.

Edited by DrJ

I just received this yesterday from Hiroshi. Haven't listened to it yet. The liner notes are all in Japanese and the price was about $45 (including shipping). Comes in a nice case, similar looking to the Miles Blackhawk case.