John Tchicai

Late

Tchicai-NYC5-16-640x433.jpg

Tchicai (which I learned is pronounced chee-kigh; "kigh" rhyming with "sigh") strikes me stylistically as right between Jimmy Lyons and Marion Brown, while certainly putting forth his own plaintive sound on the horn.

Fans? Favorite albums, as leader or sideman? Favorite live appearances? Share away!

I missed out on a chance to see him live last year and also back in '95. Argh!

Edited by Late
Updated photo.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has a home page, you might care to look at.

I love the three Fontanas - Rufus, Consequences, Mohawk. The last two are among my favorite albums ever. The Delmarks are also essential, though the CD issue loses a track, and the ESP is of course fine. I haven't heard the America release, which I see is due for CD issue and I am very much looking forward to it.

I dig Willi the Pig (even though the CD is dubbed from an LP...), but other than that I have avoided other releases due to the changes in direction Chuck mentioned. That said, I am sure I have missed some good stuff, and I'd quite like to know about later offerings that are musically comparable to the early stuff.

Glad to hear someone mention Tchicai’s name. Haven’t listened to him in a while. I never was extremely excited about him but I thought he was interesting and I like some things he has done. Loved the New York Contemporary Five and the New York Art Quartet.  :lol:  :lol:  :D 

SavoyMG12184.jpg

That album cover brings back memories--it was my rooming house room at 25 West 82nd Street until 1963, when I moved to my present apartment. I spent a lot of time in that window, looking up and down the street!

531111.jpg

This one with Tchicai on board, originally on Fontana I believe, is available again.

The sound samples make it seem like a Don Cherry record (which is not a bad thing).

This is not from Fontana. This is a Storyville reissue of material originally on two Sonet lps. The first volume was issued on lp by Delmark when I worked there. Unfortunately an 11+ minute piece titled "Cisum" has been omitted to keep it to one disc.

• 1 year later...

Fans of Tchicai need to check this one out:

trd005.jpg

This is a very good disc. At first, I was a little wary of buying it because it's actually a Tchicai-with-sampled-music project, but Jon Coxon and Ashley Wales are providing the samples (called "strings" in the title of the disc), and they do a very tasteful job. Tchicai solos over the soundscapes that Coxon and Wales programmed (some of it in real-time, evidently), and the results are unusually moving. Only the last track (where Tchicai recites a poem) is somewhat off-putting. The rest of the tracks have that remarkable plaintive quality that Tchicai is so well-known for. Highly recommended.

Again, if you're a Tchicai fan, you need to hear this one!

The stuff on the Storyville is at least as good as the Fontana material. Did you know the band made a Fontana lp without Cherry (he was late)? It is called Rufus and is fine as well.

All those NYCF recs are serious business... Cherry was too junked-out to make the date, from what Tchicai told me. Seemed to be a recurring problem...

I am a big fan of Tchicai's Cadentia Nova Danica records as well, though more than one girlfriend has been rather turned off by Afrodisiaca!

It's strange that Storyville left off "Cisum" - that tune is totally kick-ass!

Edit: guess I already mentioned CND. But so what? Great LPs!

Edited by clifford_thornton

Glad to hear someone mention Tchicai’s name. Haven’t listened to him in a while. I never was extremely excited about him but I thought he was interesting and I like some things he has done. Loved the New York Contemporary Five and the New York Art Quartet. :lol::lol::D

SavoyMG12184.jpg

That album cover brings back memories--it was my rooming house room at 25 West 82nd Street until 1963, when I moved to my present apartment. I spent a lot of time in that window, looking up and down the street!

Wow, great reminiscence! Thanks for that!

• 1 year later...