What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tonight: Allos Musica Trio: James Falzone, Ronnie Malley, Tim Mulvenna (Covenant Presbyterian Church)

Saturday afternoon: Roscoe Mitchell with Loose Assembly: Greg Ward, Jason Adasiewicz, Tomeka Reid, Josh Abrams, Mike Reed (Millennium Park)

Sunday night: Joe McPhee, Josh Berman, Josh Abrams, Mike Reed (Hungry Brain)

Two aces so far. Falzone, in a startlingly impressive, Roman Catholic-like structure for a Presbyterian congregation, was in unearthly form -- the music (Malley, of Palestinian background, plays oud, Mulvenna hand drums and various gongs, large bells, etc.) was often Middle Eastern in feel, with further references to French and Spanish music of the 16th Century and before. Jazz in spirit, though -- lots of rhythmically striking, lyrical improvisation.

The Loose Assembly concert took a while for me to settle into -- I was late (bad traffic, streets blocked off for a parade), couldn't find how to get into the place for a fair while when I got there, and thus was initially pissed off -- but the music was superb. Some of Reed's best writing and playing, Roscoe is always a giant (everything he plays is so damn CLEAR and logical, as well as more or less HUGE), and everyone else rose to the occasion. Adasiewicz especially -- from an already high level, over the last several years he's been getting better and better; he engaged Roscoe in passages of true dialogue, which is saying something. As Josh Berman has said about Adasiewicz, he plays the vibes, but he's not really a vibes player; he's just a musician, and he'll do anything to kick out of that instrument what's needed.

Ellery Eskelin Trio @ Cornelia St Cafe

Ellery Eskelin: tenor saxophone

Gary Versace: organ

Nasheet Waits: drums

@ Cornelia Street Cafe

sitting about 5 feet from the bass drum and 6 feet from the bell of Ellery Eskelin's horn

wanted to stay for the second set but my wife was a little tired - but she thinks the band would sell millions if anyone ever heard them - and she watches American Idol....

she is in love with Nasheet Waits and told him on the way out that he is greatest drummer she ever heard

she might be close - at least last night...

best organ trio alive today - maybe the best ever??!!??

slow start followed by what was I think was Bemsha Swing or Bye-A but my Monk listening and song recognition is way out of shape - but whatever it was the next 10 - 12 minutes exposed a band that is without peers in what they do - and I think Ellery told me afterwards that this was the first set they played - or maybe one of the first times they played - Ellery looked to have a set list of about 15 tunes on a scrap paper on the floor and I don't think Gary Versace had anything in front of him as they tore through the music.

What might have been Body and Soul or another old warhorse (I can't to this day tell an old ballad from another but that's my ears or lack of them from that respect) was next without a break and it was a slight letdown from the first half of the first half of the set (the set was two 31 to 32 minute sections).

Then then then..... then they went into something else and something else mostly groove based where they all took the music to dramatic heights with Ellery & Gary playing at a very high technical level without an ounce of flash - when the organ and drums combines at times it was more than incendiary and made one think this music had just been invented when in most respects it was of forms that have existed for decades. The last groove based portion was very powerful and I was transfixed and as inspired as I have been for quite some time.

who is that man on the organ!!!!!??????? holy shit!

can I say lordy lordy??

As we left I told Ellery that it was the greatest organ trio on par with Larry Young's Unity band (yes I know that was a quartet) but what the hell - a damn great band and damn fine night out for the both of us.

picked up the last Eskelin-Parkins-Black CD on hatology and damn does that bring back some great memories - can't wait to hear the classi trio and I hope they play somewhere here in NYC next year....

but for now over and out...

One Great Night, baby

Last night, the Ornette Coleman Quartet (Al MacDowell on bass guitar, Tony Falanga on bass, Denardo Coleman on drums) in Austin.

I found this concert to be positively thrilling, a truly great concert.

I saw him last Saturday with the same group. However halfway through the concert he had a female vocalist come out and "sing" one song with the band. I didn't catch her name but she was middle age, Asian, dressed in a spectacular outfit that had mirrored pieces on her clothes and she wore a necklace with large pieces of something mirror and the way light was bouncing off of her while she stood there was pretty wild. Her vocals were of the wordless variety and she sparred a little with Ornette in the upper register which got very interesting. After the show I talked to several people and her effect on the audience was very polarizing. She either loved it or hated it.

I got the sense that she was possibly local and not part of the tour. Did anyone else see her at an Ornette show on this tour?

Last night, the Ornette Coleman Quartet (Al MacDowell on bass guitar, Tony Falanga on bass, Denardo Coleman on drums) in Austin.

I saw him last Saturday with the same group. However halfway through the concert he had a female vocalist come out and "sing" one song with the band. I didn't catch her name but she was middle age, Asian, dressed in a spectacular outfit that had mirrored pieces on her clothes and she wore a necklace with large pieces of something mirror and the way light was bouncing off of her while she stood there was pretty wild. Her vocals were of the wordless variety and she sparred a little with Ornette in the upper register which got very interesting. After the show I talked to several people and her effect on the audience was very polarizing. She either loved it or hated it.

I got the sense that she was possibly local and not part of the tour. Did anyone else see her at an Ornette show on this tour?

She's part of the show. At least she was in Santa Barbara and I think in LA too. (Reminded me that Yoko Ono jammed with him before she'd ever met John Lennon.) Now the guest I would have really liked to have seen was Flea who played with him at the LA concert and according to the one review I read kept right up with Ornette.

far too little live music all summmer and fall... but tonight:

UNERHÖRT - PROGRAMM AM SAMSTAG, 20.00 UHR, ROTE FABRIK/CLUBRAUM

CLAUDIA ULLA BINDER - JOHN BUTCHER

Claudia Ulla Binder: Piano | John Butcher: Reeds

CARLA KIHLSTEDT - MATTHIAS BOSSI: SHILO

Carla Kihlstedt: Violin, Nickelharpa, Pump Organ, Voice | Matthias Bossi: Drums, Fender Rhodes, Foot Accordion, Voice

GIANLUIGI TROVESI OCTET

Gianluigi Trovesi: Reeds | Marco Remondini: Cello, Saxophone | Massimo Greco: Trumpet | Beppe Caruso: Trombone | Marco Micheli: Double Bass | Roberto Bonati: Double Bass | Vittorio Marinoni: Drums | Fulvio Maras: Percussion

She's part of the show. At least she was in Santa Barbara and I think in LA too. (Reminded me that Yoko Ono jammed with him before she'd ever met John Lennon.) Now the guest I would have really liked to have seen was Flea who played with him at the LA concert and according to the one review I read kept right up with Ornette.

The same vocalist appeared in Austin (for one song). It was only five minutes out of an hour and three quarters concert. Edited by kh1958

far too little live music all summmer and fall... but tonight:

UNERHÖRT - PROGRAMM AM SAMSTAG, 20.00 UHR, ROTE FABRIK/CLUBRAUM

CLAUDIA ULLA BINDER - JOHN BUTCHER

Claudia Ulla Binder: Piano | John Butcher: Reeds

Wow, wow, wow! All expectations met up with... truly one of the most amazing sax players of recent years!

A short set, but it's been a while that I heard that much saxophone!

Binder was mighty fine, too - never even heard of her name before, though she's a local (website)

CARLA KIHLSTEDT - MATTHIAS BOSSI: SHILO

Carla Kihlstedt: Violin, Nickelharpa, Pump Organ, Voice | Matthias Bossi: Drums, Fender Rhodes, Foot Accordion, Voice

In one sentence: Kihlstedt is pretty nice to look at...

GIANLUIGI TROVESI OCTET

Gianluigi Trovesi: Reeds | Marco Remondini: Cello, Saxophone | Massimo Greco: Trumpet | Beppe Caruso: Trombone | Marco Micheli: Double Bass | Roberto Bonati: Double Bass | Vittorio Marinoni: Drums | Fulvio Maras: Percussion

Not as great as I'd hoped, but fine and powerful, whimsical and funny... but something was lacking.

Even more so after Butcher/Binder's amazing opener!

When Allen Lowe was last here he played with the Search and Destroy fellas, who are holding a benefit tomorrow that looks pretty cool. From the email they just sent:

If you are not in New York City, you can watch the event live as it happens, 10 PM Eastern Standard Time, at http://Watchitoo.com/SearchAndRestore

This is all of course to benefit our Kickstarter effort, to fund our operations for the next year as a non-profit and carry out a unique documentation project of the scene. We have SEVEN days left to reach our goal, we're over halfway there and with your generous tax deductible donation and final hour word of mouth, we can do it. So please, support us in this time of need so we can continue to build and spread the new jazz community, in bigger ways than ever.

Go to http://HelpJazz.com and give.

Monday, November 29th at Le Poisson Rouge, 10 PM EST

A Night of round robin improvised duets to benefit Search & Restore, featuring:

Don Byron (clarinet), Christian McBride (bass), DJ Logic (turntables), Ben Allison (bass), Steven Bernstein (trumpet), Ralph Alessi (trumpet), Josh Roseman (trombone), Jason Lindner (keys), Tim Lefebvre (bass), Reid Anderson (bass), Dan Weiss (drums), Mark Guiliana (drums), Brandon Ross (guitar), Matt Wilson (drums), Avishai Cohen (trumpet), Theo Bleckmann (voice), Henry Grimes (bass), Andrew D'Angelo (sax), Dave Binney (sax), Andy Milne (piano), Hal Willner (turntables), Zim Ngqawana (sax)

I played with Chaka Khan last night at the Tokyo Billboard Live club. She sat in with the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra. She was very personable and was fearless on the bandstand, not knowing what we were doing. we played Slide's "Frame For the Blues" and she just winged it, modulation and all. Sang her ass off as usual.

Had the perfect opportunity to quote "Ain't Nobody" in the tune beforehand.

Edited by Michael Weiss

Just got back from a double-header at CSO: Regina Carter and Esperanza Spalding.

Carter was incredible, mostly playing from her new CD Reverse Thread. The instrumentation was odd to say the least -- violin, kora, accordian, bass and drums. I think they went a little long, but the crowd didn't mind. (I should clarify they probably went over their time limit, not that I was bored by the end.)

Then they had a very long intermission. Finally, Esperanza Spalding came on and did some weird thing where she sat in a living-room chair, drinking wine, listening to her string section. Eventually, she moved over and picked up the bass and started to sing. I found it pretty weak. I would go so far as to call her the Nora Jones of vocalese. I was going to at least wait until the end of the third number to leave, but it actually started getting worse. The woman next to me left mid number and I decided to follow. I saw that it was already 10 pm (which is roughly when shows at CSO end). I have no idea how long that show was actually going to run, but I'm definitely glad I left when I did. Never again.

Edited by ejp626

• 1 month later...

Friday night, another trip to Smalls: First, the Woody Witt/Eric Wallman Project. Both new to me, but pretty good.

Followed by the Jean Michel Pilc Trio (Boris Koslov on bass and Billy Hart on drums), which was pretty fantastic.

Saturday night, a trip to the 92Y Tribeca, where Jason Moran Presents 713 to 212, featuring lots of jazz musicians from Houston transplanted to New York. This was a four and a half hour concert (ending at 1:30), with four different segments.

The first featured an older generation of Houston jazz musicians, and a stellar cast it was--with Billy Harper, Melvin Sparks, Michael Carvin, Tex Allen, David Lee Jones, and Frank Lacy. Jason Moran and Helen Sung alternated on piano. This was a very enjoyable and happily performed set, the highlight being the octet's thrilling performance of Priestess. Melvin Sparks was featured on a rollicking blues piece.

The second segment of the concert featured a group led by drummer Rodney Kendrick, with Robert Glasper on piano (plus guitar and bass)--Jason Moran was added on electric piano on some pieces. This was another fine set, the highlight being a performance of Herbie Hancock's composition, I Have a Dream.

The next group led by drummer Jamire Williams, was also worthwhile (Jason Moran guesting on electric piano on some pieces).

The final segment featured dual pianos--Robert Glasper and Jason Moran (one acoustic, one electric), plus two drummers (Eric Harland was one), plus acoustic or electric bass.

All in all it was a fine evening of music--Moran and Glasper sounded terrific throughout--it was great to see the likes of Billy Harper and Melvin Sparks, and very interesting to hear the Rodney Kendrick and Jamire Williams groups of younger musicians. Houston seems to be producing some pretty fantastic drummers, judging from what I heard this evening.

Caught Jim Campilongo last night at the Living Room. Nice venue and Campilongo was EXCELLENT!!!! There were two bands before Campilongo, both with decent tunes marred by lousy vocals and crappy lyrics. Campilongo had no singer and was tremendous. You can hear that his trio really listens to each other. He closed with a mind-bending rendition of '3rd Stone from the Sun'that should be recorded.

Going to see Dave Burrell tonight....

Wednesday, January 19, 6pm + Saturday, January 22, 3pm

PORTRAITS OF CIVIL WAR HEROES

A World Premiere Performance by Dave Burrell

Steinway Artist, famed jazz pianist, and Rosenbach Musician-in-Residence

Dave Burrell returns to the Rosenbach to perform Portraits of Civil War

Heroes, a suite of five new compositions inspired by the museum’s

extraordinary collection of Civil War materials. Burrell will perform and

discuss his new works in a salon-style setting.

$10 for adults, discounts for seniors and students. RSVP to (215) 732-1600

ext. 123 or email rsvp@rosenbach.org.

http://rosenbach.org/learn/events/portraits-civil-war-heroes