What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Next Friday: Mike Walker (guitar) and Iain Dixon (sax) - two tremendous players who are hardly known in the UK let alone in the world jazz scene as they are based in't North. First saw them in the back room of a pub with a mid-sized Mike Gibbs band about 20 years back. Sheffield Jazz gig.

Great concert - quintet (reeds, guitar, piano, e-bass, drums). A mixture of well written band originals and everything from Steve Swallow tunes to Stomping at the Savoy and In the Bleak Midwinter (which seems to have evolved into a UK jazz standard in recent years).

Mike Walker is undoubtedly one of Britain's best kept secrets - not being based round the London scenes he's even pretty invisible here. Can go from convoluted boppish lines to lovely lyrical solos and then onto funkier stuff (I'll be playing some latter-day Grant Green on the back of this gig).

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If anyone has even a passing interest in Pat Metheny, I HIGHLY recommend trying to catch a Unity Band show. I saw them last night in Orange County and they were absolutely burning. They played for almost 2.5 hours, which included four encores. About 95% of the sold out crowd remained after the end of the last encore.

Pat spent most of the night on his hollow-body Gibson electric, jumping to synth for two songs from the new album (Roofdogs and one other), an Orchestrion showcase, and Are You Going with Me (with Potter playing Lyle Mays' parts on the flute!) during the first encore. He began the night on his Pikasso guitar and added his six-string acoustic for part of one song from Unity Band and for an incredible solo acoustic medley (I caught Minuano, Last Train Home, and This Is Not America at least). Except for maybe the first turn on the acoustic, Pat's style was instantly recognizable on all his assortment of guitars.

Chris Potter is a great foil for Pat on the lead, and the second highlight of the night for me was a smokin' Metheny-Potter duo version of Solar, with the song beginning as a round, Potter offset from Metheny by the first eight bars of the tune. Incredible.

The highlight of the night was a lengthy mini-"Orchestrion" tune constructed over a D-C + D pedal point vamp, with three distinct 'sections' of loops recorded by Pat for a stripped-down Orchestrion (finger cymbals, two xylophone, jars, and one set of cymbals/drums, I believe). After Pat built the vamps, the rest of the band joined in, with Pat and Chris Potter often engaging in soloing simultaneously.

The CD doesn't really do justice to seeing this group live. Several songs have an faint-ECM sound on disc, but live, everything was much more "in your face," so to speak. Even their rendition of Two Folk Songs was more immediate than what I remember from 80/81.

The primary reason for this "in your face" immediacy, I think, is Antonio Sanchez, who is a force of nature. I never saw Pat with Roy Haynes, but I'm not sure there is a better drummer for Pat than Antonio Sanchez. Their communication was telepathic and his post-bop/disguised funk style is a perfect match for Pat's writing.

In any case, one of the best shows I have ever attended.

I hardly ever get out so it was a treat to see the great Sonny Fortune in New London, CT last night. He played at a small venue called the Oasis Room located within the Garde Arts Center. Really happy to say the event was well attended. As a bonus, I sat next to and had a chance to talk with Noah Baerman, who I found out is a working jazz pianist. I am looking forward to checking out his stuff. The same place will have Donny McCaslin November 15th, I am pretty sure I will go.

Just got back from Scofield, Swallow, & Stewart at Yoshi's. Very enjoyable and the band was obviously having a good time. Check 'em out if they come your way.

Well, they're not coming my way, but you convinced me anyway - I'm gonna check 'em out at the Blue Note in NYC on 6 Oct! :tophat:

It should be fun, Erik!

Tonight, SFJazz:

The Music of Thelonious Monk

Listening Party with Larry Goldings

Tomorrow:

Wilco in Palm Desert

Bring ear plugs for Wilco - seriously!!

Had the ear plugs but didn't need them. They were loud, but not uncomfortably so. The venue was a very nice smallish theater with excellent sound. Great show and great experience. Very enthusiastic crowd, too.

Last night I saw Sonny Rollins at Davies Symphony Hall. It was a good set. He looks a lot older than the last time I saw him, not surprisingly; he was hunched over and seemed to have trouble walking. But he can still blow! Not bad for a man of 82. Nice band, too.

Saw Patti Smith at the Fillmore tonight. I've seen her a lot and this show was more understated than any I've seen before. Don't get me wrong, she rocked out on a number of tunes, but they were mostly few and far between.

Lenny played his usual mid-show "Nuggets" set, including "We Ain't Got Nothing Yet" and "Pushin' Too Hard".

5949741057_0b2a55f745.jpg

The Kate Williams Septet in Sheffield (not in a tent!).

Kate Williams (p) Gareth Lockrane (flutes) Steve Fishwick (t) Ben Somers (ts) Julian Siegel (ts, ss, bcl) Oli Hayhurst (b), Tristan Mailliot (d)

Excellent evening of Kate's compositions and arrangements from a crack British team. Apparently she's John William's daughter (the guitarist).

Edited by A Lark Ascending

The Kate Williams Septet in Sheffield (not in a tent!).

Lucky man ! They were playing locally to me last week but unfortunately I missed it.

Isn't that Swananage Tent No. 2?

Probably - the chap who introduced them last night described their gig at Swanage as his highlight of the festival. Wish I could get to Swanage. A few years time when I retire I'll hopefully be able to get there ( hopefully from Cornwall!).

Tonight I'll be seeing Kenny Barron perform solo at a place called the Doctorow Center For the Arts in Hunter, New York. Time 8 PM. Can't wait! :excited:

Kenny put on a fine show in front of an audience of 100 people last night. I was quite surprised by the large number in attendence being there was very little publicity AFAIK and the fact the town is quite small. The town however does thrive during the winter season because of it's ski resorts. Back to Kenny. I don't how old Kenny is these days? But being there up in years certainly hasn't had much effect on his playing. He was great to watch especially from my aisle seat which was just to the left of Kenny, so I could actually see him perform. Also worth mentioning, there was a post concert reception next door with free champagne which was different. Kenny was there in a private room in back and I was able to slip back with the help of an industry friend who've I've managed to develope a friendship over the past year or so and got to chat briefly with Kenny and had him sign my cd. Definitely a great time was had.

Attending a seminar in New York gave me the opportunity to hear some live music, and this turned out to be a very good visit.

Wednesday, October 10: To the 55 Bar to hear the Mike Stern Quartet, with Bob Franceschini on tenor sax. Both sets were terrific.

Thursday, October 11: Thanks to an iPhone App which told me where to go, I was able to find via subway and walking a place called Terraza 7 in Queens, where I heard the fantastic Magos Herrera group, featuring Mike Moreno on guitar and Alex Kautz on drums. This is a small triangular shaped bar which has a second floor terrace where the band appears; Magos performed one set, singing a selection of songs from her last two CDs, Distancia and Azul.

Friday, October 12: To the Jazz Standard to hear Edmar Castaneda for two sets. A group consisting of Columbian harp, flute and drums sounds like it would be kind of precious, but in fact the driving swing of this group was quite incredible. My second time to hear Edmar Castaneda live, who adopts the Columbian harp to jazz. He's an amazing musician.

Saturday, October 13: To the Cornelia Street Cafe, to hear the Rez Abassi trio. I wasn't too familiar with this Pakistani jazz guitarist, but pretty quickly became a fan in the course of two sets.

Sunday, October 14: To Drom, where I heard the Chico Hamilton group. I had previously heard Chico live about 15 years ago, and he was still in full command of his drums at that point. This was a little sad, because he is fairly feeble at this point (he's 91). Chico only played about the first 20 or 30 minutes of the concert before allowing his protege (Jeremy Carlstedt) to take over on drums. Nonetheless, it was a very enjoyable concert; Chico's group is very good, with an incredible bass player (Paul Ramsey), and featuring Evan Schwam on saxophones, plus flute (Mayu Saeki) and guitar (Nick Demopoulos).

Edited by kh1958

Pianist Ray Santisi is playing at the Sahara Jazz Club in Methuen, MA tonight. I want to go, after all, how many more chances do you get to see someone who played with Charlie Parker perform? Unfortunately, the last time I saw Ray (with Charlie Mariano in Cambridge), he was pretty bad, playing some sort of "doo wah" setting on his electric piano.

took in the John Hebert Byzantine Monkey on Sunday afternoon which is:

John Hebert :: bass

Tony Malaby :: tenor & soprano saxophones

Michael Attias :: alto & baritone saxophones

Satoshi Takeishi :: drums

glad my wife and I were also able to hear a bit of the "sit in" which wa smostly John and Tony talking about their time @ William Paterson and what it did for him. Especially interesting to hear Malaby talk about 'filling holes' in his playing by playing with the 'bebop' guys like Alexander, Potter, Redman during and after - specifically mentioning a Wed night Mingus big band gig in the 90's where he was in a tenor chair often next to Potter and Redman.

Of course he can almost do what they do, but damn he knows and anyone else who really listens knows that as time went on and he expanded his horizons more and more, that maybe *nobody* can play and od what the *great* Tony Malaby can do...

good 70 minute set with my only quaibbles being that hebert's approach is sometimes a bit too cool and sometimes a bit too cute - one nice tune I think called "The Climb" alternated short solos with Malaby on tenor and Attias on alto that took any chance of real climxes being reached - then a couple of the tune stowrds the middle were somewhat sleepy with Malaby on a restrained soprano with Attias only hinting at his true range/capabilities on both of his horns.

then they played something called 'Chow Monkey', I think and then for 10 minutes or so gave a glimpse of what the band is capabale of - Malaby blew minds, hearts and introduced himslef to some in the crowd as one of the true masters - no reason they don't hit that level for at least 30 - 40 minutes of the show - too cool and smooth for confort that a band has only 1 tune(another was near it in intensity) where a band creates true visceral exciting music.

Not many bands can be that great - so why only go for it on one tune out of 6 or 7??

reminded me of Hebert's take on Mingus that I saw last year with Berne, Bynum, Hersch and Ches Smith - nice but NOWHERE near what it could have been - he seemingly won't wade in deep enough to really let it rip.

Christine Tobin touring her Sailing to Byzantium Yeats project.

Just 30 or so people in the audience yet the band played their hearts out.

The album is one of my favourites of the year - really well written songs based on the poems.

A sad response for a singer who has consistently tried to add to the repertoire rather than always lean on standards.