What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All during this coming week The International Society of Bassists is having a convention here at the Eastman School with scores of bassists from all genres and from around the world. I'm going to try see a couple of performances or workshops.

Some of your favorites are:

David Finck

Henry Grimes

Nilson Matta

David Darling

Ron Carter

Martin Wind

Dave Holland

Putter Smith

Harvey S.

Chuck Israels

Bill Crow

David Young

Mark Dresser

Michael Formanek

Edited by marcello

Friday night among other bands for my one night @ Vision Fest, this band @ 10:00 PM:

10:00 PM – The French-American Peace Ensemble
Francois Tusques – piano
Louis Sclavis – clarinets
Kidd Jordan – tenor sax
William Parker – bass
Hamid Drake – drums

same band playing in Chicago on June 19th

Boston, in particular Scullers Jazz Club, is about to enter an incredible week of Jazz. It starts this Thursday night (6/13) when Terri Lyne Carrington comes to town. Friday (6/14), it's Cyrus Chestnut. Then there's an incredible trifecta of sax with Eric Alexander (with the great Harold Mabern on piano) on Wednesday (6/19), Ravi Coltrane on Thursday (6/20) and James Carter on Friday (6/21). Too many great shows in too short a time!! :)

I have tickets to the Eric Alexander and Ravi Coltrane shows and I may add Cyrus Chestnut to my bill if I can this Friday. Terri Lyne Carrington is doing her version of "Money Jungle", which really has never been a favorite of mine so I'll probably pass.

Boston, in particular Scullers Jazz Club, is about to enter an incredible week of Jazz. It starts this Thursday night (6/13) when Terri Lyne Carrington comes to town. Friday (6/14), it's Cyrus Chestnut. Then there's an incredible trifecta of sax with Eric Alexander (with the great Harold Mabern on piano) on Wednesday (6/19), Ravi Coltrane on Thursday (6/20) and James Carter on Friday (6/21). Too many great shows in too short a time!! :)

I have tickets to the Eric Alexander and Ravi Coltrane shows and I may add Cyrus Chestnut to my bill if I can this Friday. Terri Lyne Carrington is doing her version of "Money Jungle", which really has never been a favorite of mine so I'll probably pass.

I considered driving up for the Ravi Coltrane show, but that is the first day of a local free series.

Wednesday I went down to the Village Vanguard and caught Greg Osby. Tonight is the final concert in the Spring Series at Firehouse 12 in New haven featuring Ches Smith and These Arches. Considering heading down to Roulette for the Saturday lineup of the Vision Festival.

an exciting weekend at Playboy with my favorite Gregory Porter, Pedrito Martinez, Grace Kelly, Phil Woods, Robert Glasper, Angelique Kidjo, Hugh Masekela, Lee Ritenour, Naturally 7 with Herbie Hancock, Poncho Sanchez, James Carter, George Duke, Jeffrey Osborne, Brubeck Brothers, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Taj Mahal, Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra w/Patti Austin and Hubert Laws, India.Arie. Trombone Shorty, Sheila E. and many more excellent artists.

Not tonight, but tomorrow I am going to see Vijay Iyer as part of the Vancouver International Jazz Fest. I am taking it fairly easy this year for various reasons, including budget constraints. I do hope to see Soweto Kinch playing a free show on Sat. and then just take in some of the other free acts while I am downtown.

Tonight I'm excited to see the French-American Peace Quartet, with Francois Tusques on piano, Kidd Jordan on saxophone, and William Parker and Hamid Drake. I've never seen Tusques or Jordan before, and any gig with Parker and Drake is a winner.

see my comments under Vision Fest June 14th

wonderous set of music

Today is the first free concert of the summer in the park. We have two separate series. A Thursday night series starting tonight headlined by the Jimmy Greene quartet that goes for four weeks. July 8th will be the first night of the six week Monday Night Jazz series.

Last night saw the French-American Peace Quartet (François Tusques, Louis Sclavis, William Parker, Hamid Drake, and Kidd Jordan) at Constellation in Chicago. What an ill-matched group, so it seemed to me, especially the soulful Jordan and the cold, uninteresting (at least IMO) Sclavis, who seemed on this night to be virtually an anti-interactive player. Likewise with Tusques. Parker and Drake did they best they could, but the souffle didn't rise (again IMO), if rising is what souffles are supposed to do. I've had better times in the dentist office.

Last night saw the French-American Peace Quartet (François Tusques, Louis Sclavis, William Parker, Hamid Drake, and Kidd Jordan) at Constellation in Chicago. What an ill-matched group, so it seemed to me, especially the soulful Jordan and the cold, uninteresting (at least IMO) Sclavis, who seemed on this night to be virtually an anti-interactive player. Likewise with Tusques. Parker and Drake did they best they could, but the souffle didn't rise (again IMO), if rising is what souffles are supposed to do. I've had better times in the dentist office.

That is what I thought might happen but my experience was quite different than yours, Larry

I will say that Tusques did not engage with the rest of the band but I did think Sclavis and Jordan found some common language especially during the last two thirds of the set after a somewhat rough start.

Plus despite the pianist not seemingly connecting too much, the two portions of the show with bass, drums and piano were still exciting to me as Parker and Drake were still Parker and Drake and the guy is still a pretty good pianist.

I was at constallations too and did not hear it like Larry. I quite enjoyed the show. Jordan Parker Drake sounded great, Sclavis was fine and did his best to keep up with them. Tusques did sit out a lot. He did sound a bit distant I thought part of it may be that he was not perfectly miked. I even asked my neighbour in the first couple of minutes if he heard him well as he sounded a bit muddied to me but he thought it was fine. That maybe on my ears.

I would like to get what Larry gets in the dentist office.