What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to see Savion Glover this afternoon. I post this in the music section because the musicality of the tappers was just amazing! The show is entitled STEPZ, and it's Glover, another guy and three women all tapping away. They tapped to some Coltrane, Stevie Wonder and a few other things. The program noted that the performance times vary greatly because the show is largely improvised. Glover and the other guy did a bit with the 'Mission Impossible' theme that I would have thought impossible if I didn't see it. An absolutely wonderful afternoon of tap.

I went with my wife, her sister, and my sister-in-law's 11 year old daughter, who likes dance. We waited around after the performance and Glover and the other dancers were quite gracious and signed autographs and posed for pictures. The 11 year old was a bit shy, so I grabbed her arm and brought her over to one of the female dancers(Ayodele Casel)and told Ms. Casel that the girl was shy. Ms. Casel gave her a big hug! It made the girl's day and was a wonderful moment.

More later but two wonderful very unique sets (Kris is very unusual composer) with fine performances by all and yet all overshadowed but not overwhelmed (thankfully) by what may have been the best I have ever heard from Mat Maneri. Simply beyond what an improviser should be capable of doing.

Beyond genius at this point. Astounding. His first solo during the first somewhat straight piece was lilting, gorgeous and simply elevated the rest of the band from there on out. The long oddly structured second composition built to a mammoth long extremely intense and loud plateau where what was going on with Mat and John Hebert is still a mystery. And yet it got better. Mat gets sounds and riffs out of his viola that do not exist beyond him in all of the musical world. My friend Maurice who sees a whole lot of music and has seen Mat many, many times agreed that it might be the best he has ever heard from him. Bruce, of course, just smiles and we just know that a few more oughtta know and really might want to listen.

Is it easy listening? No as the second set was a bit slow fur the first 30 minutes which were two 15 minute takes on two very oblique compositions with the second one slower than slow while the first was almost Andrew Hill like with his last bassist and Davis with Rainey opening as a chunky piano trio for about half of the 15 minutes until Ingrid and Mat threatened madness.

Last tune had no viola until the last 10 minutes when the whole idea of what is jazz and what grooves and what swings and who is the new Trane all came and went.

Of course he is that but he plays the viola, sits on a chair and has no commercial appeal.

Like his dad said to me back in the day, "it's gonna be big" speaking of his music, even though he was already 72 and never recorded anything other than totally abstract improvisations, usually with Mat, a bassist, and a drummer that to this day, hardly anyone wants to hire, so really I say it is big, it's huge, and its more than that. Kris Davis' band that played hardly a groove save for a few Rainey hyper kinetic volleys, played in front of a packed room with a nice line down the block.

Hope for big ears remain

Get Ready to Receive Yourself

Other than Jimmy Greene, not anything I would usually even consider attending, but I am trying to support the person producing the event.

Saturday, July 6, 2013
SummerWind Performing Arts Center - 40 Griffin Road North - Windsor
YELLOWJACKETS / JIMMY GREENE / MARION MEADOWS / JACKIE RYAN

Edited by relyles

Getting ready to get some rest as I have work tomorrow but I will say this:

My wife says that Craig Taborn must be the best pianist there is. I told her he might be but she hasn't seen Cecil Taylor.

Two totally improvised sets of music and as I mentioned above the little place was packed, maybe because of the pianist being in the band.

I may try to describe what sort of music this was later if I can get a handle on it but I will say this - the first set was pretty damn great with the last 25 minute piece being from a place I wasn't very familiar with. It ended up being somewhat groove based and consisted of some strong looping repeated figures by Taborn culminating with Maneri playing some bass lines and drones on the lowest register of his viola unlike anything I've ever heard him play. The crowd went a bit nuts, especially for this place which is sometimes a bit subdued as a good portion of the crowd are regulars who have really seen and heard it all.

The lesson is dont leave before the second set. Three amazing pieces with the second being a masterpiece of doom metal free jazz improvisation with these masters inventing something they didn't know existed in them.

It ended almost better with a searching unexpected Smith solo completing the best set of music I've heard this year.

Still

Coming Down the Mountain

July 8, 2013 - Monday Night Jazz in Bushnell Park

Rahstet

Mario Pavone Orange Double Tenor Sextet (Mario Pavone – bass, compositions; Jimmy Greene – tenor and soprano saxophones; Noah Preminger – tenor saxophone; Dave Ballou – trumpet, flugelhorn, cornet; Peter McEachern – trombone; Peter Madsen – piano; Steve Johns – drums)

A couple of nights ago in Bellingham, Washington, I went to the opening concert of the Bellingham Festival of Music, an annual two-week-long classical festival. My sister-in-law, an amateur cellist, wanted to go to hear young cello hotshot Joshua Roman, whom she apparently has a crush on. The nature of the concert wasn't explained to me, and I thought it was to be a cello recital, but it was a full symphonic concert, with Roman as soloist in two pieces. He was very impressive, although I didn't really care for the two pieces he was featured on - Aaron Jay Kernis' "Dreamsongs," basically a cello concerto, was a real compositional mess.

But after the intermission, the Bellingham Festival Orchestra played Beethoven's Third. It had been awhile since I had heard it, and I had forgotten what an amazing piece it is. The orchestra was excellent - it consisted mostly of principal players from orchestra all over the country. The horn section in particular played like heroes, and I admit to feeling local pride when I saw that the principal horn was Brice Andrus, principal of the section in the Atlanta Symphony.

UMOJA Music Series

Stephen "King" Porter Trio

Stephen "King" Porter- Bass

Curtis Torian - Drums

Abraham Burton - Saxophone

Josh Evans Trumpet Ensemble

Josh Evans - Trumpet

Brian Lynch - Trumpet

Darren Barrett - Trumpet

Chris Beck - Drums

Davis Whitfield - Piano

Ryan Berg - Bass