What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Well, not tonight but I just bought tickets for the Louis Moholo Moholo Quartet (Jason Jarde, Alexander Hawkins, John Edwards) next week in the Bimhuis which I'm quite exited about.

Do you go to the Bimhuis often?

To be honest, this will be my first time. Till last year I never really went to Jazz concerts as all of my friends are in different "scene's" (mostly house, hip-hop and/or the funk/soul/jazz DJ scene), but this year I decided to just go by myself if a great concert comes up.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, not tonight but I just bought tickets for the Louis Moholo Moholo Quartet (Jason Jarde, Alexander Hawkins, John Edwards) next week in the Bimhuis which I'm quite exited about.

Do you go to the Bimhuis often?

To be honest, this will be my first time. Till last year I never really went to Jazz concerts as all of my friends are in different "scene's" (mostly house, hip-hop and/or the funk/soul/jazz DJ scene), but this year I decided to just go by myself if a great concert comes up.

The Braxton concert was also my first visit. I hadn't been to a (jazz) concert since North Sea Jazz 2004 in the Hague.

It's a great room and the entrance bridge is spectacular unless you're afraid of heights!

Yeah, I'm very exited about the venue and I'm luckily not really afraid of heights.

Nowadays I work most of the week in Utrecht near Central Station (100m from the Dom) so that makes a trip to the Bimhuis quite easy. I'm definitely planning on going more often.

Gilad Atzmon at Wilmslow.

It was his birthday and he had hoped to celebrate it at Royal Northern College ....

But the political correctness nazis intervened?

:rlol

Well, as he said, "Royal Northern College of Music, the place where you're not allowed to play music."

I am very happy for you that you will see this quartet live. Besides me being very much interested in seeing Hawkins and Yarde, my dream remains to see Louis Moholo-Moholo live one day. In addition, I am pretty sure that John Edwards is the greatest living bassist I've not seen live.

Last night, Marcus Miller at the Granada Theater. I do enjoy his collaborations with Miles Davis (Siesta in particular), but have generally not followed his recordings since then. The theater was more or less full, and, not really knowing what to expect (smooth jazz?), the reward proved to be a really excellent concert, predominately in the jazz/fusion vein, with elements of world music influences. The band featured trumpet, alto (and soprano) saxophone, guitar, drums, percussion (Minu Cinelu). Mr. Miller of course played electric bass, a large African stringed instrument, and bass clarinet. The trumpet player was particularly good. I would definitely go see him again, if presented with the opportunity.

You'll enjoy that. They were tremendous in Sheffield a couple of years back.

Will see them at the Vortex day after tomorrow (16th June).

Just now I'm back from the Vortex Sunday afternoon show with the London Jazz Orchestra.

First set were band members' compositions/arrangements

The second set was "Windmill Tilter"

Both sets in their way excellent stuff, though I enjoyed the "contemporary" pieces a bit more.

The 20 or so band spilled over in the audience space and I was seated mere inches away from the vibraphone. Great close-up experience!

IMG_9514_web.jpg

Edited by jazzscriveyn

Saw Les McCann this afternoon. (Yes, you read that right, Les McCann on a Sunday afternoon.) Ragged but still funky. When someone from the audience kept yelling for "Compared to What" Les yelled back "Shut the fuck up! Don't you know any other songs?" Made my day, though he did finish with "Compared to What" and we all sang along.

LARGE UNIT - Baltimore, Md.

Saw Paal Nilssen-Love's Large Unit 11-piece band last night in Baltimore, and they provided a welcome blast of adrenaline. Motive power was provided by PNL (who always knocks me out) and another young fierce drummer (sorry, names defeated me) on a pair of drum kits fronting the band. In full cry, the band could blow you across the floor and out the door, but it was not all max velocity. A lot of more nuanced sectional interplay also took place. The band is young and maybe a bit raw, but it felt like they were coming together, and they had a positive spirit. It seems there were some personnel changes from the original Large Unit. Per-Ake Holmlander was there on tuba, a wonderful addition to the band. There was also a woman playing flute and clarinet, which added some nice sound variations. I also thought the young trombonist was quite promising. Rather amusingly, the trumpet player was a ringer for Vandermark, complete with plaid shirt. The band brought more merch than most record stores have, including Large Unit underwear, perfect for the free jazz fan who has everything. In any event, I really enjoyed the performance.

Louis Moholo-Moholo queartet at the Bimhuis was fantastic yesterday. Very energetic, hard swinging music and the whole quartet also definately had a good time on stage with lots of collective humming/chanting. Somewhere in the second set they did a beautiful version of Ornette Coleman's Lonely Woman wich was very touching and heartfelt, I saw some people couldn't even hold back some tears; very impressive.

Edited by niels

Last night: Jack DeJohnette Trio w/ Ravi Coltrane & Matt Garrison and then Nicholas Payton Trio w/ Vincente Archer & Marcus Gilmore. Another double headliner tonight: AfroHORN and then Paal Nilssen-Love Large Unit!

I was impressed with Francisco Mora Catlett's AfroHORN when I saw the last half of their set a couple of years ago at the Detroit Jazz Fest. The group included JD Allen, Sam Newsome, Alex Harding, Aruan Ortiz, Rashaan Carter and Roman Diaz. Powerful music.

For friends in Vancouver...I'm hitting tomorrow night (9.30pm) at Ironworks with the Louis Moholo-Moholo Quartet...please stop by and say hello!

Alexander - I really hope I can make it but it will be a last minute decision.  Have a baby and toddler to contend with; if they go to sleep easy and on time that night I'll drive down.  If not then...a collapse on the couch will be in order instead ;)

I saw Louis Moholo last time he played the vancouver jazz festival with the Dedication Orchestra and in a quartet with Evan Parker..it was fantastic so fingers crossed I can come out.  If I do I'll certainly introduce myself!

Saw Paal Nilssen-Love's Large Unit 11-piece band last night in Baltimore, and they provided a welcome blast of adrenaline. Motive power was provided by PNL (who always knocks me out) and another young fierce drummer (sorry, names defeated me) on a pair of drum kits fronting the band. In full cry, the band could blow you across the floor and out the door, but it was not all max velocity. A lot of more nuanced sectional interplay also took place. The band is young and maybe a bit raw, but it felt like they were coming together, and they had a positive spirit. It seems there were some personnel changes from the original Large Unit. Per-Ake Holmlander was there on tuba, a wonderful addition to the band. There was also a woman playing flute and clarinet, which added some nice sound variations. I also thought the young trombonist was quite promising. Rather amusingly, the trumpet player was a ringer for Vandermark, complete with plaid shirt. The band brought more merch than most record stores have, including Large Unit underwear, perfect for the free jazz fan who has everything. In any event, I really enjoyed the performance. 

Seems my comment about seeing them has disappeared , must say I was overall underwhelmed by them . They were some good moments, it was not a bad gig by any means but it lacked the edge i'M used to see when I see PNL.

Seems my comment about seeing them has disappeared , must say I was overall underwhelmed by them . They were some good moments, it was not a bad gig by any means but it lacked the edge i'M used to see when I see PNL.

I think they did 14 gigs in 15 days-- might have told on them. There was plenty of energy at the Baltimore gig. Keep in mind that PNL has to be band leader as well as drummer, which may be why he added a 2nd drummer to the group. 

They did two nights in Montreal, attended the second so logically they should have been partially rested  with no travelling between gigs. I think to make the band work they have to give space to all the instrumentists and some of them had maybe an off night. Choice of arrangements was not what we're used to expect from Nilssen-Love though may have threw me off.