What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Last night: Moulettes at Square Chapel in Halifax (deepest Yorkshire). 

HalifaxSquareChapel.gif

(so rock'n roll)

Marvellous 'rock' concert (for want of a better term) of young musicians. Two support bands - a singer-songwriter with band and a very in your face punky outfit. Both very accomplished musicians, entertaining if not music I'd want to take home.

But Moulettes are special. Came across their albums some months back and was bewitched. Wondered how they would translate to live - the albums are intricate, layered affairs with rich orchestrations (from the band) and beautiful vocal harmonies. Well they pulled it off in spades. Hard to describe the band - they get called prog, folk and all sorts of things but nothing quite fits. Imagine prime era XTC with the ever-so-English harmony vocals of The Northettes (on the Hatfield and the North albums) but with a dose of Les Baxter orchestrations. Utterly distinctive instrumental line-up - subtle bass/drum support with up front electric guitar, cello, bassoon (yea, bassoon!) and an electric autoharp. And then those divine vocals. 

Main songwriter Hannah Miller made a lovely front person explaining the songs in a rambling way...how many bands take the ideas for songs from reading articles in the New Scientist?! 

A really distinctive band. Bugger all to do with jazz but those of a catholic taste with a penchant for the more melodic end of rock might well enjoy them. On extensive tour at present including Canada in late Sept/early Oct. Hopefully they get a bigger audience than in Halifax - about 50 people!

http://www.moulettes.co.uk/ 

Really packin' those gigs in, Bev! :tup

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Making up for 37 years of being too knackered for weekday gigs....and, I now realise, too knackered to give up a chance to recharge on a Saturday by driving a distance. 

Aim is one a week where possible while I've got so much going on within driving distance.  

Residing in a very old strip mall in the midst of a modest residential neighborhood in South Fort Worth, the Keys Lounge must be a rather rare thing these days, an actual neighborhood blues bar. Normally, that wouldn't get me out of the house to drive 45 miles, but last night Guitar Shorty was performing there. For a number of years, Guitar Shorty lived in Houston and was a fairly regular performer in the area. A few years ago, he apparently moved to Los Angeles and has become scarce in these parts. This was part of a welcome return to Texas, including appearances in Houston, San Antonio, Fort Worth and Denton. A truly masterful blues guitar craftsman, Shorty is 76 now, but continues as strong as ever. The Keys Lounge proved to be a fine venue, with clear and not overloud sound. As usual, Shorty delivered in his two sets.

Just back from a concert by Gebhard Ullman, Steve Swell, Fred Lonberg-Holm and Michael Zerang. Wonderful. Thanks to Lazaro for bringing the band to the neighborhood.

Plan to catch them at Elastic tonight.

Very fine. A well-honed group by now -- Lonberg-Holm and Zerang contributed tellingly. The relationship between Swell and Ullman is something else -- very together at times but when they pull apart, so to speak, it's like they're still connected by elastic bands (no play on the name of the venue intended); one can almost see where these stretching lines of force are, and their existence becomes part of the dialogue.

P.S. It may seem like I’m describing in the “elastic bands” business something that’s fairly common among groups with two alert horn players, but the sense that something like this was going on here was notably vivid, I thought.

Picked up up a couple of CDs, Ullman’s Mingus tribute and another Ullman with Swell, a bassist, and B. Altschul. Was tempted to buy one of just about everything, but my wallet was on pause control.

Ullman is an agile, clever player — at once free and not that free (he has his patterns, which are again seemingly clever, perhaps a bit clockwork-like), but those  patterns are then handled (at least when he interacts with Swell) in a relatively free and alert to the context manner. All that strikes me as coming from a rather European sensibility — perhaps, because it’s on my mind after sampling some early '50s Hipp recordings, like a distant offshoot of Hans Koller.
Edited by Larry Kart

146288.jpg

Georgia Mancio and Alan Broadbent with Oli Hayhurst and Dave Ohm in Nottingham

Very nice 'mainstream' vocal concert without a standard in sight. Mainly Broadbent compositions with lyrics by Mancio with a few that were written the other way round. A short tour leading to a recording very soon. 

Evan Parker - Ned Rothenberg Duo - Union Arts, Washington, DC

Saw Parker-Rothenberg duo last night. Evan played soprano and tenor (of course). Ned played alto sax, clarinet, shakuhachi, and bass clarinet in varying combinations with Evan. Some fireworks, but the performance struck me as geared towards rapport and musical expressiveness.  A treat. 

Not tonight, but Sunday - We continue to be in awe of Roscoe Mitchell following his "extravaganza" at the MCA in Chicago. He and his amazing musicians presented lot of music to digest in one day. His band(s) included Hugh Ragin, Tyshawn Sorey, Craig Taborn, Kikanju Baku, James Fei, William Winant, Jaribu Shahid and Tani Tabbal. Steve Lake was there recording it for ECM. We can hope for a fitting document.

Not tonight, but Sunday - We continue to be in awe of Roscoe Mitchell following his "extravaganza" at the MCA in Chicago. He and his amazing musicians presented lot of music to digest in one day. His band(s) included Hugh Ragin, Tyshawn Sorey, Craig Taborn, Kikanju Baku, James Fei, William Winant, Jaribu Shahid and Tani Tabbal. Steve Lake was there recording it for ECM. We can hope for a fitting document.

Awesome

Engine Room Favourites

At Seven Arts, Leeds

Engine-Room-Favourites.jpg

(not my picture - from a previous performance)

Martin Archer - sopranino, alto & baritone saxophones; Mick Beck - tenor saxophone, bassoon; Laura Cole - piano; Corey Mwamba - vibraphone; Graham Clark - violin; Seth Bennett - bass; Peter Fairclough - percussion; Johnny Hunter - percussion; Walt Shaw - percussion; Steve Dinsdale - percussion

Archer, Mwamba and Fairclough were known to me and I have a feeling Graham Clark is the chap who used to play with String Driven Thing and, for a time, Van Der Graff Generator in the 70s; the rest, as far as I know, are local musicians. [Edit: wrong - the violinist was Graham Smith!]

One set of large ensemble, structured but freeish jazz in the 'Ogun' tradition. A second set of more indeterminate structure - Archer described it as consisting of three distinct layers, one layer consisting of a five part composition that could be played in any order though the musicians playing that layer had to agree before. Can't say I could pick this out but it made a fine noise. 

Great closing version of Julius Hemphill's 'The Hard Blues'. 

Peter Fairclough (who I know from his work with Keith Tippett) was a clown throughout, swapping drumsticks, bothering the other percussionists and generally not playing the po-faced 'serious' musician. Archer has a very odd onstage presence...and looks like a smaller Eric Morcambe!

10 musicians on stage. 10 people in the audience! How do have the spirit to keep on? 

I'll go and see Archer's curious projects again - he operates from Sheffield which is rather nearer than Leeds (especially when they close a stretch of the M1 at 11.00 pm for roadworks and you have to negotiate darkest Wakefield trying to remember if your diversion is the yellow square or the yellow triangle). 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

12132566_10206475680469665_7967665959899

Marshall Allen with Magic Science Quartet , Edinburgh Film House 6th October. Performing sound track to silent film Oedipus by Ka. Henry Grimes (bass) Avreeayl Ra (drum,percussion, various small wind instruments) Ka (piano , shaman drum). Photo taken in available light from the screen.

curtain call below. 

12112505_10206475680349662_3970322414510

Edited by Clunky

Tonight Almeida/Klein/van Duijnhoven at Brebl Nijmegen. They just released quite an intersting album on Clean Feed so looking forward to this one. And than tommorrow also Brebl with Ingrid Laubrocks Ubatuba (with Rainey and Tim Berne amongst others)

Tonight at Elastic Arts in Chicago:

• THURSDAY OCTOBER 8 | 9:00 PM

Ballrogg & Branch/Jackson/Kessler/Hunt 

$10 
    A double bill featuring a first time grouping of Chicago regulars, and the Scandinavian powerhouse trio Ballrogg. 

9 PM : BALLROGG

Klaus Ellerhusen Holm – reeds
David Stäckenas – guitar
Roger Arntzen – bass

10 PM : BRANCH/JACKSON/KESSLER/HUNT

Jaimie Branch – trumpet
Keefe Jackson – reeds
Kent Kessler – bass
Steve Hunt – drums

TAGS: 

ImprovisedImprovised Music SeriesJazzMusic

3429 W Diversey #208 
Chicago, IL 60647

Tonight at Elastic Arts in Chicago:

• THURSDAY OCTOBER 8 | 9:00 PM

Ballrogg & Branch/Jackson/Kessler/Hunt 

$10 
    A double bill featuring a first time grouping of Chicago regulars, and the Scandinavian powerhouse trio Ballrogg. 

9 PM : BALLROGG

Klaus Ellerhusen Holm – reeds
David Stäckenas – guitar
Roger Arntzen – bass

10 PM : BRANCH/JACKSON/KESSLER/HUNT

Jaimie Branch – trumpet
Keefe Jackson – reeds
Kent Kessler – bass
Steve Hunt – drums

Excellent set from 

Jaimie Branch – trumpet
Keefe Jackson – reeds
Kent Kessler – bass
Steve Hunt – drums

It should not be forgotten (and/or it should be shouted from the hills) that Steve Hunt is one terrific drummer. The way he got inside what Branch and Jackson were playing/thinking was hard to believe. Kessler was in fine form, too.

Edited by Larry Kart