What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

4 minutes ago, BillF said:

It's a sobering thought that half a century ago when jazz giants roamed the earth audiences in clubs generally talked right through their playing. First example that comes to mind is Monk at the Blackhawk - I'm sure you'll think of many more. Returning to jazz club visiting after a hiatus of a few decades, the first change I noticed was a new respect for what the musicians were doing.

Very true. How about the Bill Evans Vanguard recordings?

imagine trying to chat @ The Village Vanguard today? You would be thrown out.

once @ Vision Fest I did tell some ass hat to shut the fuck up and he actually did!

tonight:

TAMARINDO!!!

Malaby, Formanek & Waits

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot depends on where you are listening. In a tent at a festival or an amplified, dancy-type gig somewhere you expect it. But in an intimate venue where every sound carries (be it a dedicated concert hall or the back room of a pub) it tends to be customary to be silent while the music is playing (I'm not a 'serious listener' [places monocle in eye] but I still like to listen in peace).

I suspect the noisy lot who irritated me are used to rowdier gigs. If you've not experienced the quiet approach imported from classical music then maybe it's a bit foreign (though until the late 19thC apparently classical concerts were noisy...in opera people chattered throughout only shutting up for the big arias).    

Edited by A Lark Ascending

20 hours ago, erwbol said:

Interesting! So perhaps the increased respect for jazz musicians and their music which I've noticed among audiences in more recent times can be linked to another relatively recent "import" from the classical world - the study and teaching of jazz in the academy.

(Post meant to be in reply to Bev's.)

Edited by BillF

Picked up a ticket today for tonight's "Zappa Plays Zappa" show. It's been on my calendar for a while, but I kept putting off getting tickets. There was a good deal on StubHub for a floor seat, so I jumped on it. Should be great - they're doing "One Size Fits All", one of my favorite FZ albums!

[Later]
Great show! Besides the album, they did quite a few other tunes that I never thought I would see live including:
Zombie Woof
Cosmik Debris
Apostrophe
Grand Wazoo
Montana
Baby Snakes
Dancin' Fool
Muffin Man
... and a number of others.

Zappa Plays Zappa.jpg

Edited by BFrank

11 hours ago, BillF said:

Interesting! So perhaps the increased respect for jazz musicians and their music which I've noticed among audiences in more recent times can be linked to another relatively recent "import" from the classical world - the study and teaching of jazz in the academy.

(Post meant to be in reply to Bev's.)

I suspect it precedes that. When I first started going to concerts (rock concerts) around late '72 there was an expectation in many concerts that you shut up and listened. We all knew instinctively if it was one of those (in which case we all sat cross legged) or if it was a 'party' gig (don't think there was much quiet at T Rex or Slade gigs in 1972!). When I first started going to jazz concerts quiet was the norm apart from the ritualistic ripple of applause after solos and the occasional whoops in a particularly exciting solo. 

I've no problem with a talkative audience in the appropriate setting - think of all those live albums from across the ages where the thrilled reaction of the crowd are part of the excitement. Some people go to concerts just to listen, others for the craic, many for both. It's just a case of appropriateness. 

I prefer a quiet audience but what I like overall is informality. I'd hate jazz, folk etc concerts to import some of the stiffer rituals from the classical world (or the dreaded 'Bravo maestro!'...yes, it's happened to me! I still have the scars!).  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

2 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

I suspect it precedes that. When I first started going to concerts (rock concerts) around late '72 there was an expectation in many concerts that you shut up and listened. We all knew instinctively if it was one of those (in which case we all sat cross legged) or if it was a 'party' gig (don't think there was much quiet at T Rex or Slade gigs in 1972!). When I first started going to jazz concerts quiet was the norm apart from the ritualistic ripple of applause after solos and the occasional whoops in a particularly exciting solo. 

When I spoke of people talking through what the musicians were doing, i was referring to clubs and other small venues, often where drink was served. These are now quiet in my experience, except for some pub venues where musicians and listeners have to put up with those who are only there for the booze. Manchester's Matt and Phred's is an example -  I never went back! Jazz concerts were always as you describe - I being too young and far away to have experienced an American JATP event.

Second set last night some douchebag and his girl chatting during the second set and this fool giving huge cheers at the end of each of the three sections. He was really trying to impress her a she was clueless and was laughing a bit when Tony was doing some of what he does that few saxophonists do. I'm sure she had never heard "out" saxophone playing before.

if my wife was there, she would have let him have it and good. 

These two dopes couldn't ruin the night, especially the incendiary 70 minute second set which had my ears on fire. Waits being Nasheet and Malaby, especially on soprano, playing with a ferocity and extreme focus that again has me knowing what this music means to me on a very deep level.

the slowest piece called Mother's Milk was the ultimate highlight and the soprano playing was as good as I've heard him on the straight horn

On 5-12-2015 01:20:33, erwbol said:

The Alexander von Schlippenbach Trio swung the Bim tonight. Evan Parker stuck to tenor.

Two middle aged assholes next to me thought it necessary to have a conversation over the loud passages: "... fascinating to see... blah blah ..." Luckily, after 15 - 20 minutes they thought it best to vacate their front row seats and sit in the back.

WTF is it with this type of self-important middle aged male asshole?

Did you also stayed for the Morris/Maneri/Lightcap/Cleaver set? 

I really wanted to go to this concert, but unfortunately I couldn't make it. 

Another musical:

ShowBoat-Press-Image.jpg

At the Sheffield Crucible theatre - first time I've been in the main theatre since the early 90s when I saw the Westbrook Orchestra there. I usually end up in the smaller room where they do jazz/folk things.

Delightful production. Only vaguely knew the story but the songs were almost all familiar. Ecstatic audience from right across the age range.  

23241484744_df192dee2c.jpg

Rez Abbasi's Invocation in concert at the Painted Bride Art Center in Philadelphia on 19 Dec 2015.

The group presented the world premiere of new compositions for their forthcoming album, "Unfiltered Universe," which will draw on Carnatic (South Indian) music.

Rez Abbasi (guitar, composer), Rudresh Mahanthappa (alto sax), Vijay Iyer (piano), Johannes Weidenmuller (bass), Elizabeth Means (cello), Dan Weiss (drums).

Edited by alankin
add Vijay Iyer

my holiday gig this year will be a show which is part of Drake's/Zerang's annual winter solstice celebration

Hamid Drake, Ari Brown & Harrison Bankhead
Hamid Drake, Ari Brown & Harrison Bankhead
Hamid Drake - drums
Ari Brown - saxophones
Harrison Bankhead - bass
Michael Zerang & the Blue Lights
Michael Zerang & the Blue Lights
Josh Berman - cornet
Mars Williams - alto, tenor saxophone
Dave Rempis - alto, tenor, baritone saxophone
Kent Kessler - contrabass
Michael Zerang -drums

Not exactly jazz, but tonight there will be a Klezmer Dance Party in West Philly featuring Susan Lankin-Watts, Dan Blacksberg, the Community Klezmer Orchestra, the KITA All-Stars, with Dancing led by the great Steve Weintraub!

Sunday, December 20th
The Rotunda 
4014 Walnut Street 
6PM, FREE, All-Ages.

Award-winning artists Susan Lankin-Watts and Dan Blacksberg of the Community Klezmer Initiative host an evening of traditional and innovative Klezmer music focused on getting the crowd performing -- on instruments and on the dance floor.

Come join in as the Community Klezmer Orchestra (led by Lankin-Watts) and the Klezmer in the Afternoon All-Stars (led by Blacksberg) rock the “hoyz” (Yiddish for “house”), setting the stage for dancing under the guidance of Steve Weintraub, the Pied Piper of Yiddish dance. 

https://www.facebook.com/ical/event.php?eid=1481495998826047

On December 20, 2015 at 9:26 AM, alankin said:

23241484744_df192dee2c.jpg

Rez Abbasi's Invocation in concert at the Painted Bride Art Center in Philadelphia on 19 Dec 2015.

The group presented the world premiere of new compositions for their forthcoming album, "Unfiltered Universe," which will draw on Carnatic (South Indian) music.

Rez Abbasi (guitar, composer), Rudresh Mahanthappa (alto sax), Johannes Weidenmuller (bass), Elizabeth Means (cello), Dan Weiss (drums).

Is that Vijay Iyer on piano?

Last night:

at the Hungry Brain, 2319 W Belmont

I've had more fun having my teeth drilled. Will someone please tell me what Irabagon's virtues are? (And I've heard him several times before, both in person and on record.) Disjointed, instantly "hot" diddling plus "expressive" whoops and cries, IMO. He even, at least in the first set (I left after that) pretty much negated the normally estimable Johnson. The re-opened and nicely redesigned Brain was packed, though.

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Last night:

at the Hungry Brain, 2319 W Belmont

I've had more fun having my teeth drilled. Will someone please tell me what Irabagon's virtues are? (And I've heard him several times before, both in person and on record.) Disjointed, instantly "hot" diddling plus "expressive" whoops and cries, IMO. He even, at least in the first set (I left after that) pretty much negated the normally estimable Johnson. The re-opened and nicely redesigned Brain was packed, though.

Was it just a duo, Larry?

I will give the guy another chance. I don't know if you recall my comments regarding a trio concert (2 sets) with Irabagon, Mary Halvorson & Nasheet Waits.

Something to the effect of makes lots of sound, fingers move fast, makes fancy sounds but my wife said afterward that it should have been a guitar/drum duet with the above two great musicians.

31 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Was it just a duo, Larry?

I will give the guy another chance. I don't know if you recall my comments regarding a trio concert (2 sets) with Irabagon, Mary Halvorson & Nasheet Waits.

Something to the effect of makes lots of sound, fingers move fast, makes fancy sounds but my wife said afterward that it should have been a guitar/drum duet with the above two great musicians.

With a rhythm section: bass and drums were Matt Ulery and John Deitemyer (Chicagoans), plus NYC-area pianist Matt Mitchell. I remember your post, and your wife and I agree.

Looks like I'm going to my first of the annual 12/30 Cornelia Street Cafe shows that have featured the great Tom Rainey Trio for maybe 6 years or so. Very difficult for me to make a show at the end of the month during the week, let alone the second to last day of the year, but it sure looks like I'm gonna make it tomorrow for Rainey with Ingrid Laubrock and the wonderous Mary Halvorson. I've seen the trio three times, I think, and they've been very good all the way to astounding.

I try to keep my expectations in check but I know when I'm a few feet from this intimate yet sometimes explosive trio, I'm just a little bit fired up.

Always a Pleasure