What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Yay! Indeed!

Not sure how much longer Schlippenbach will be around, he seemed rather frail in Warsaw in March, but he is doing his traditional "Winter journey" with the Schlipp 3 again this year (another concert I plan to attend, December 11th  in Zurich - Paul Lovens stopped much of his traveling, so Paul Lytton will step in).

in between, there's also this:

unerhört!

what I plan to attend:

Dienstag, 22. November 2016, 18.00 Uhr Nur Abendkasse, geöffnet ab 17.30 Uhr
Kulturhaus Helferei CHF 25.- / 20.-
Colin Vallon Trio

Mittwoch, 23. November 2016, 19.30 Uhr Keine Reservation möglich
Jazz im Seefeld, GZ Riesbach Mindestkollekte CHF 5.-
Eskelin - Weber - Griener
Hans-Peter Pfammatter & Big Band der Hochschule Luzern - Musik

Donnerstag, 24. November 2016, 20.30 Uhr Nur Abendkasse, geöffnet ab 19.00 Uhr
Werkstatt für improvisierte Musik (WIM) CHF 30.- / 20.- / Mitglieder gratis
Peter K Frey
Booklet: Tobias Delius - Joe Williamson - Steve Heather

Freitag, 25. November 2016, 19.30 Uhr
Rote Fabrik, Clubraum CHF 45.- / 37.-
Alex Huber - Lauren Kinsella - Sascha Henkel
Ethan Iverson - Mark Turner
NYC Five: Angelika Niescier - Florian Weber

Samstag, 26. November 2016, 19.30 Uhr
Rote Fabrik, Clubraum CHF 45.- / 37.-
Aruán Ortiz Trio
Gabriela Friedli - Claudia Ulla Binder
MATS-UP

Sonntag, 27. November 2016, 19.00 Uhr
Moods im Schiffbau CHF 40.- / 35.-
Jakob Bro Trio
Jürg Wickihalder Beyond

But with the wealth of concerts, I might skip Colin Vallon (have seen him plenty of times, and I mgiht skip Friday night as well, as I see the Weber-Niescier group in Berlin and am not that enticed by the whole evening, though I'd be interested to hearing Mark Turner in person).

full line-up:

http://unerhoert.ch/programm/

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tonight:

Wadada Leo Smith/Vijay Iyer Duo

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 8:30PM
Bezanson Auditorium

Smith-Iyer Duo
Seventy-five year old trumpeter and composer Wadada Leo Smith is one of the most influential musicians of our time. Pianist Vijay Iyer describes Smith as his “hero, friend and teacher.” Iyer, a professor in the Department of Music at Harvard University, was named DownBeat Magazine’s 2015 Artist of the Year and 2014 Pianist of the Year. Iyer has played extensively in Smith’s Golden Quartet, but 2016’s A Cosmic Rhythm with Each Stroke is the first documentation of their duo work.

Ticket Prices
General Admission: $15; Five College and 17 & Under: $7

Ches Smith Trio with Craig Taborn & Mat Maneri

@ The Stone

8:00 & 10:00 - later set listed as "electric"

also great show @ Cornelia Street Cafe - Ingrid Laubrock's Ubatuba with Tim Berne, Ben Gerstein, Dan Peck & Tom Rainey

tough choice but hard to pass up one of the best small units playing today (probably my favorite recent group of any type that I've seen live) and I'm not passing it up - will be the 5th time seeing them since their debut over 3 years ago.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

It happened last night:

Another special night of music in the Big Mango tonight, organized and brought off by Michael LeDonne. It happened at Mist Harlem, and the excuse was a tribute to Shirley Scott and Stanley Turrentine. What made it special was the bandstand participation of living masters Jimmy Heath, Jimmy Cobb and George Coleman (also John Faddis and Jiimmy Owens, who played and MCed. Old pals John Webber and Pete Bernstein and new old friend Dave Stryker were the icing on a blues and swing cake---of course fitting for the 2 honorees. Willie Jones III on the 1st set. The 1st downbeat happened on a song called (correct me, Mike, if I err) Don't Mess Around With Love; simple, to the point and beautifully played. Mike stretched out with the trio before bringing in Eric Alexander and Mr. Faddis. Only thing left to write sums it up: during 2 blues tunes a couple got up to dance. Mist Harlem is a non-profit and would appreciate your financial support for the wonderful work they do. Same goes for the Wilbur Ware Society, who sponsored the event. Your intrepid reporter signing off..

3 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Who was in his band?

did he play alto & tenor?

Rempis played alto, tenor and bari. The band members were new to me: Albert Wildeman, bass; Ryan Packard, drums and electronics. Wildeman is the tallest bass player I've ever seen, with a bass to match; a striking presence. Packard is an extremely intense drummer. 

2 hours ago, Leeway said:

Rempis played alto, tenor and bari. The band members were new to me: Albert Wildeman, bass; Ryan Packard, drums and electronics. Wildeman is the tallest bass player I've ever seen, with a bass to match; a striking presence. Packard is an extremely intense drummer. 

Looks like they are playing in Queens next Wednesday also with a Josh Sinton group. Sounds great except I have ZERO chance to get to Queens on Wednesday 10/12/16.

Image result for tim garland quartet

Tim Garland Electric Quartet @ Sheffield Jazz (Crookes Social Club)

Tim Garland (soprano/tenor/bass clarinet/electronic-thing-to-hit-with-a-stick-when-someone-else-is-soloing), Jason Rebello (piano/keyboards), Ant Law (guitars) and Asaf Sirkis (drums/percussion). 

Very exciting band of superb musicians. A bit of Garland's pastorally side, especially when Law used the twelve string (sounded like Oregon!). Some standards - 'Good Morning Heartbreak', 'Windows' (a nod to a former boss) and 'Blue in Green' (the encore). But the best was the uptempo, odd time-signatured fusiony stuff. I've never really followed Rebello even though I seem to recall he was almost famous at one point in the 80s/90s but he was marvellous on the electronic keyboards - nice old electric piano sounds which Garland clearly has a nostalgic liking for. Sirkis was as wonderful as ever - seems to turn up in all sorts of bands. Ant Law is a name I've read about but heard for the first time here. Very impressed (especially liked the look of his bodiless guitar!) - a particularly thrilling solo on the last tune that brought me back to the days of Canterbury-type jazz rock.  

Image result for ant law guitar bodiless

The odd guitar. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I saw you'd posted a Law album on the 'listening' thread. Bought one at the gig along with the 'One' record. Haven't heard the Law but the band record sounded excellent yesterday. Law is in Sheffield again with a trio towards the end of next month - hope to get to that. 

In a completely different genre:

Image result for Lynched folk

Lynched (Howard Assembly Rooms, Leeds)

The best thing to come out of Ireland since poteen. Saw this lot at Sidmouth in the summer and was bowled over. More or less the same songs last night yet Lynched play with such welly that I was thrilled all over again. Superb musicians, wonderful individual and harmony singers, earthy and rooted in ordinary Dublin life, traditional music and the music hall. Tremendous repartee between the band and interaction with the audience (such a contrast to the 'ssshhh, we're in church' approach of the classical concerts I've been going to recently - Lynched need to do workshops in the classical world). Hopefully a second album is not far away - there are some marvellous new songs there. 

Biggest cheer of the night - when announcing what was available at the merchandise stand the piper waved an Irish passport in the air. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

To Cheadle to hear an octet called Boplicity who played charts by Mulligan, Rogers, Pell, Niehaus, etc with surprising accuracy and managed to swing like mad. Guest artist - you guessed!  Alan Barnes - who says he's now cleaning his saxophone with £10 notes as they're no longer worth anything.:lol:

2 hours ago, BillF said:

To Cheadle to hear an octet called Boplicity who played charts by Mulligan, Rogers, Pell, Niehaus, etc with surprising accuracy and managed to swing like mad. Guest artist - you guessed!  Alan Barnes - who says he's now cleaning his saxophone with £10 notes as they're no longer worth anything.:lol:

Barnes is in Sheffield in a couple of weeks with Atzmon - in a quieter period I'd go but it's manic here until late November. Did see that combination earlier in the year. 

I am going to his Christmas show in December. however. Still the funniest man on a jazz stage.  

4 hours ago, BillF said:

Guest artist - you guessed!  Alan Barnes - who says he's now cleaning his saxophone with £10 notes as they're no longer worth anything.:lol:

Are you guys doing a double act touring the northern clubs ? :lol:

Last night at an unspeakable hour, glad to have caught a set by Jack Walrath's Quintet at Smalls via the internet, preceded by Teodross Avery's Quartet. Great to see that Walrath is still in fine form and playing challenging music that is far from the current norm. Long may he continue to do so !

Edited by sidewinder

4 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Barnes is in Sheffield in a couple of weeks with Atzmon - in a quieter period I'd go but it's manic here until late November. Did see that combination earlier in the year. 

I am going to his Christmas show in December. however. Still the funniest man on a jazz stage.  

I'll be at his Christmas show with David Newton and local rhythm section at Malcolm Frazer's house in Cheadle on 16th December.

Re "funniest man", the aging Barnes was heard to say to the very promising 20-something-year-old trumpeter next to him in the octet, "There's 50 more years to go, you know." :lol:

Recently I've seen 

Ingrid Laubrock & Tom Rainey

Vinny Golia Quartet w/ Steve Adams, Matt Small and John Hanes

Gregory Porter

Joshua White + Codes w/ Dwight Trible, Ralph Moore,  Dean Hulett, and Jonathan Pinson

Rudresh Mahanthappa's Bird Call w/ Adam O'Farrill, Joshua White, Thomas Kneeland, and Dan Weiss 

Its been a good run recently. Hoping to catch Gavin Templeton Quartet this Friday too

In the last ten days after 7 rock concerts featuring septuagenarians (Desert Trip plus Van Morrison)  I went to a jazz concert featuring a 13 year old: Joey Alexander, whose trio is pretty good.  But the best jazz I heard all week was Sir Van's sax solo on Moon Dance. 

On 10/16/2016 at 8:16 AM, BillF said:

Video clips now available (none featuring £10 notes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-bhz23MQ9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbmulvuH2Tc

Edited by BillF