What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 30.3.2017 at 4:23 AM, jlhoots said:

Vinny Golia / Bobby Bradford Quartet Thurs. night

Would love to hear about that, as I wanted to catch the band but Bradford had to cancel the tour (due to a fall, as I heard).

(Golia played a mighty fine trio set luckily - other concerts were cancelled ... and I had a nice chat with Golia afterward, too.)

1 hour ago, king ubu said:

Would love to hear about that, as I wanted to catch the band but Bradford had to cancel the tour (due to a fall, as I heard).

(Golia played a mighty fine trio set luckily - other concerts were cancelled ... and I had a nice chat with Golia afterward, too.)

They were very good. Bradford seemed in good shape. 2 45 minute sets at mile-high altitude (which didn't seem to bother anyone).

Intakt Records in London - Night 1

SUNDAY, APRIL 16, 2017, DOORS 7PM, PERFORMANCE 7.30–11PM

Maya Homburger–Barry Guy
Maya Homburger (v), Barry Guy (b) + Lucas Niggli (d)

A lovely start, including Biber (the Announciation and tenth of the Mystery Sonatas), and pieces by Guy, some in variants: Niggli joined a solo violin piece, improvising ... the following suite for violin and bass was again joined by Niggli towards the end, and then there was a Guy/Niggli duo, ehile Homburger tuned down the E string to d for that Biber. Huge applause in thr packed place.

Howard Riley Trio
Howard Riley (p), Barry Guy (b), Lucas Niggli (d)

Monk they did, in a very unique and oblique manner ... and I kinda hoped Schlipp (who's scheduled to do a Monk set later in the week) was there to listen how this can (and indeed should) be done. Amazing, though a bit on the short side, but Riley is in bad condition and I will cherish this moment I am sure!

The way they mixed grooves and out stuff was really something, and Niggli proved a valuable successor to some mighty good drummers in this trio!

Evan Parker–Barry Guy
Evan Parker (ts), Barry Guy (b)

Afterca break there wasn't really much more air in the place .... I was fried by now and warm ale didn't really help. Either way, this was another short but excellent set. They geared up a few times and it got highly energetic, and Parker's sound on tenor was a marvel, as usual.

Jürg Wickihalder Trio Beyond
Jürg Wickihalder (as, ss), Barry Guy (b), Lucas Niggli (d)

The last set was no slouch either. Chatting with Wickihalder I found out that it had been Niggli who established the relation with Guy (when Trevor Watts failed to play some New Orchestra gigs ... that was discussed here at the time, Wickihalder was an excellent sub!). They played some Lacy, but with a more energetic spin, they played tricky but lotsa fun originals. Wickihalder started out on soprano, later switched to alto (before subbing with Guy he hadn't touched an alto!), then played both simultaneously before returning to soprano again. Another great mixture of broken grooves and free flowing energy. 

In short, a fabulous night indeed. We ended up in a Turkish place ("we" including Gzy and Homburger but they were at the other end of the table, Wickihalder and Niggli and an old and dear friend of mine working for Intakt) for some food ... "my name is Erdogan", the patron said. Go fegh 'em all!

5 hours ago, king ubu said:

Intakt Records in London - Night 1

SUNDAY, APRIL 16, 2017, DOORS 7PM, PERFORMANCE 7.30–11PM

Maya Homburger–Barry Guy
Maya Homburger (v), Barry Guy (b) + Lucas Niggli (d)

A lovely start, including Biber (the Announciation and tenth of the Mystery Sonatas), and pieces by Guy, some in variants: Niggli joined a solo violin piece, improvising ... the following suite for violin and bass was again joined by Niggli towards the end, and then there was a Guy/Niggli duo, ehile Homburger tuned down the E string to d for that Biber. Huge applause in thr packed place.

Howard Riley Trio
Howard Riley (p), Barry Guy (b), Lucas Niggli (d)

Monk they did, in a very unique and oblique manner ... and I kinda hoped Schlipp (who's scheduled to do a Monk set later in the week) was there to listen how this can (and indeed should) be done. Amazing, though a bit on the short side, but Riley is in bad condition and I will cherish this moment I am sure!

The way they mixed grooves and out stuff was really something, and Niggli proved a valuable successor to some mighty good drummers in this trio!

Evan Parker–Barry Guy
Evan Parker (ts), Barry Guy (b)

Afterca break there wasn't really much more air in the place .... I was fried by now and warm ale didn't really help. Either way, this was another short but excellent set. They geared up a few times and it got highly energetic, and Parker's sound on tenor was a marvel, as usual.

Jürg Wickihalder Trio Beyond
Jürg Wickihalder (as, ss), Barry Guy (b), Lucas Niggli (d)

The last set was no slouch either. Chatting with Wickihalder I found out that it had been Niggli who established the relation with Guy (when Trevor Watts failed to play some New Orchestra gigs ... that was discussed here at the time, Wickihalder was an excellent sub!). They played some Lacy, but with a more energetic spin, they played tricky but lotsa fun originals. Wickihalder started out on soprano, later switched to alto (before subbing with Guy he hadn't touched an alto!), then played both simultaneously before returning to soprano again. Another great mixture of broken grooves and free flowing energy. 

In short, a fabulous night indeed. We ended up in a Turkish place ("we" including Gzy and Homburger but they were at the other end of the table, Wickihalder and Niggli and an old and dear friend of mine working for Intakt) for some food ... "my name is Erdogan", the patron said. Go fegh 'em all!

Nice review of a very varied evening's music.

The Homburger/Guy duet to start set a very high bar - such consummate music making that made a mockery of categories. I was taken and surprised by how frail Howard Riley appears. Hopefully the apparent discomfort is more in our eyes than in his experience. It was my first experience of his playing live and I was spellbound. I had been very impressed by Wickihalder when he stood in for the "allegedly" sulking/offended Watts at Oto and it was good to see this trio follow on from that impression. Niggli was a force of nature, both loud and soft, throughout the evening.

It's great to see the venue so full but I do find that they can overlook the comfort levels whilst cramming in those extra twenty or so.

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Nice review of a very varied evening's music.

The Homburger/Guy duet to start set a very high bar - such consummate music making that made a mockery of categories. I was taken and surprised by how frail Howard Riley appears. Hopefully the apparent discomfort is more in our eyes than in his experience. It was my first experience of his playing live and I was spellbound. I had been very impressed by Wickihalder when he stood in for the "allegedly" sulking/offended Watts at Oto and it was good to see this trio follow on from that impression. Niggli was a force of nature, both loud and soft, throughout the evening.

It's great to see the venue so full but I do find that they can overlook the comfort levels whilst cramming in those extra twenty or so.

Thanks ... and yes, agree about the packing of the pkace. Also find the system with reserved/allocated seats very weird ... I bought tickets the day the sale began and sat next to the door (some rowdy basterds couldn't shut up during the second half ... had Evan and then Maya on the chair next to me that wasn't even there in the first half, but while first I was disappointed to be so far away, in the end I was happy to have a seat at the side ... guess the big cowd came for Barry, Evan and Howard Riley (Parkinson's, I was told ... too bad really, as his playing was indeed mesmerising and fully absorbing). But let's wait and see ... will you be there again (one of) the next five nights? If so, why not say hi (we can arrange that via private message)?

Last night, Terence Blanchard and the E Collective at the School of Arts and Technology of the University of Texas at Dallas. Including Charles Altura on guitar and Fabian Almazan on keyboards, the E Collective performed mostly material from an upcoming album release. The concert featured an interactive visual arts presentation by artist and UTD professor Andrew Scott. The band sounded great and the visual presentation was stunning, my only reservation being that as compared to the last couple of times I've heard him, Mr. Blanchard's playing, while still good, seemed a bit down, not at the prior observed performance levels.

Edited by kh1958

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

Let us know your impressions. He's pretty popular for some reason.

I saw him with Enrico Pieranunzi at the Vanguard, and it was the weakest band I've heard there, for sure. Starting with the leader. 

Nothing like the group with Pieranunzi (which I actually didn't think was that bad). Jason Lindner on "keyboards". Several different moods in the playing including a Bowie cover (Lazarus) & a very nice duet with Lindner on acoustic piano. Enjoyed the evening + McCaslin is a very personable presenter.

April 29th 2017

SUNY Purchase -

Tribute to Sonny Rollins

Tenors -

Jimmy Heath

Ravi Coltrane

Eric Wyatt

Joe Lovano

James Carter

James Brandon Lewis

David Hazeltine, piano
Todd Coolman, bass
Victor Lewis, drums

https://tickets.artscenter.org/single/eventDetail.aspx?p=6144

A very nice tribute indeed, this was a multi-saxophone blowing session of a very high caliber. 

After that, went to the Knickerbocker Bar & Grill, across the way from NYU. Surprisingly, I'd never been there before.

Michael Weiss, piano

Kenny Davis, bass

???, drums

This place has the worst accoustics. All I heard from the bar was the drum set, nary a piano note. Bizarre. Hasn't anyone ever complained?! So finished my drink, and went to Wo Hop instead. Hot & Sour soup, vegetable chow fun at around 1-30am. Nice. 

The past three days, attending the first weekend of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Sunday was a bit of a debacle, as storms forced a delayed opening. Otherwise a great experience.

The really good stuff I heard was: Jamil Sharif (fabulous trumpet player) with the also wonderful Louis Ford, Ashlin Parker's Trumpet Mafia (Sixteen trumpets with a six piece rhythm section, this year performing original music by Maurice Brown), Mokoomba (great Afro Rock group from Zimbabwe), Astral Project, Kenny Neal and His Baton Rouge Blues Revue, Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya with Terence Blanchard (now that set was beautiful), Delfeayo Marsalis and the Uptown Jazz Orchestra (a pleasant surprise to me, but this riff based big band is really enjoyable and swinging with excellent soloists), and Joe Louis Walker (with Murali Coryell on second guitar).

Edited by kh1958