What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some really nice live music today. Alan Barnes' Octet with his 'A Fish Tale' poetry +jazz project (Grimsby fishing fleet themed - good stuff) plus another set with the Barnes/Gilad Atzmon Orient House Ensemble. Simon Spillett's trio plus a fine performance with Darius Brubeck's group featuring Dave O'Higgins.

Edited by sidewinder

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Some really nice live music today. Alan Barnes' Octet with his 'A Fish Tale' poetry +jazz project (Grimsby fishing fleet themed - good stuff) plus another set with the Barnes/Gilad Atzmon Orient House Ensemble. Simon Spillett's trio plus a fine performance with Darius Brubeck's group featuring Dave O'Higgins.

All frequent visitors here - long may they so remain in the face of dwindling gig opportunities. Didn't I hear that this is Swanage's last?

2 hours ago, BillF said:

All frequent visitors here - long may they so remain in the face of dwindling gig opportunities. Didn't I hear that this is Swanage's last?

Unless there are no alternatives put in place - yes. Sad state of affairs but many of these festivals with ageing demographics are going the way of the Dodo, sadly. Hopefully Swanage council will sort something out, it is such a great venue. Simon Spillett had some interesting things to say about this last night - you need to model yourself on Glastonbury, put in some glamping and keep the 'J' word well under wraps to entice the younger crowd these days. The more dedicated 'real jazz' festivals have a real fight just to survive, especially when self funding.

More Barnes, Abate, Clark Tracey et al today. Weather holding up great and flat calm sea to get some sunbathing in. Might even check out the Punch and Judy improv gig. :D

Edited by sidewinder

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:53 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

William Parker's In Order to Survive

with: 

Rob Brown: alto saxophone

Cooper-Moore: piano

Hamid Drake: drums

@ shapeshifter labs in Brooklyn 7:30 & 9:00

It was good seeing Steve and Clifford Allen again. Fantastic music!

3 hours ago, relyles said:

It was good seeing Steve and Clifford Allen again. Fantastic music!

Same here. Great to see Ronald & Clifford.

Second set took the music to a different level. It might be that it took me time to get acclimated but to my ears Cooper-Moore was pederestian (for him) during the first set but played some stuff during the second set I'd never heard before. Total and thorough improvising of the highest order. He is like no other. 

For me very glad William dumped the red bass for a fine sounding instrument. I thought his arco playing was stronger and more inventive than ever - especially in the very high registers - beautiful almost elegant in his approach at times.

Hamid also found a stronger groove/pace during the second set once the first piece/section broke through it's too rigid/limiting structure. 

Rob Brown played better and more concisely than I'd ever heard him. Great structure to his improvising.

Louis Hayes comes back to Boston after a long absence Friday night at Sculler's. I hope he's bringing the band that recorded his recent Horace Silver tribute CD for Blue Note, "Serenade For Horace", as it's a fine CD. In particular, I hope he's able to bring Abraham Burton, who I haven't seen in a while. Burton was on the bandstand for one of my more memorable shows - Arthur Taylor's Wailers at the Regattabar.

Of course, the band playing with Hayes isn't listed. I don't understand why most Jazz clubs do this. They should know that there are certain players that will draw their fans. I hate when I find out after a show that a certain player was in the band that night - a player I would have made sure to see. It's not like us Jazz fans don't care who's playing. We just want to know who's going to be doing the majority of the soloing that night. :)

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Louis Hayes comes back to Boston after a long absence Friday night at Sculler's. I hope he's bringing the band that recorded his recent Horace Silver tribute CD for Blue Note, "Serenade For Horace", as it's a fine CD. In particular, I hope he's able to bring Abraham Burton, who I haven't seen in a while. Burton was on the bandstand for one of my more memorable shows - Arthur Taylor's Wailers at the Regattabar.

Of course, the band playing with Hayes isn't listed. I don't understand why most Jazz clubs do this. They should know that there are certain players that will draw their fans. I hate when I find out after a show that a certain player was in the band that night - a player I would have made sure to see. It's not like us Jazz fans don't care who's playing. We just want to know who's going to be doing the majority of the soloing that night. :)

Very odd they don't list the full band at that famous Boston jazz club, Kevin

Edited by Steve Reynolds

6 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Very odd they don't list the full band at that famous Boston jazz club, Kevin

Steve - not many do any more. It's very frustrating when you find out that a favorite player was in town in the backing band of a show that you decided to skip for one reason or another. It's happened to me several times. I've been lucky in that I have a friend in the box office at Scullers and she lets me know when someone special is hidden in a band. And to give this club credit, there have been some "special guests" listed under headliners for some shows, but not all of them.

I remember one time a few years ago when this backfired on a club. The headliner was a young up & comer in NY who was planning to bring in a star-studded backing band for his first trip to Boston. No one knew him and no one knew who he was bringing with him so no one bought tickets. They ended up cancelling the show. It would have been a killer band to see. I had tickets because of my connection but there just wasn't enough word out to get asses in the seats.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, Scullers has Charnett Moffett playing there Saturday night. No idea who is playing with him. His latest CD has Pharaoh Sanders, Stanley Jordan, Cyrus Chestnut, Jeff ‘Tain’ Watts, Victor Lewis, and Mike Clark on it. Are any of them touring with him? One of his previous CDs was solo bass. Is this a solo bass show? :)

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Steve - not many do any more. It's very frustrating when you find out that a favorite player was in town in the backing band of a show that you decided to skip for one reason or another. It's happened to me several times. I've been lucky in that I have a friend in the box office at Scullers and she lets me know when someone special is hidden in a band. And to give this club credit, there have been some "special guests" listed under headliners for some shows, but not all of them.

I remember one time a few years ago when this backfired on a club. The headliner was a young up & comer in NY who was planning to bring in a star-studded backing band for his first trip to Boston. No one knew him and no one knew who he was bringing with him so no one bought tickets. They ended up cancelling the show. It would have been a killer band to see. I had tickets because of my connection but there just wasn't enough word out to get asses in the seats.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, Scullers has Charnett Moffett playing there Saturday night. No idea who is playing with him. His latest CD has Pharaoh Sanders, Stanley Jordan, Cyrus Chestnut, Jeff ‘Tain’ Watts, Victor Lewis, and Mike Clark on it. Are any of them touring with him? One of his previous CDs was solo bass. Is this a solo bass show? :)

The main NYC clubs list everyone - Village Vanguard, Birdland, Blue Note, Jazz Standard. The smaller places I usually go to (more avant-garde, etc.) also list band members.

One time I didn't check the day of or the day before for Kris Davis' group called "Capricorn Climber', they replaced Mat Maneri on Viola with Christopher Hoffman on cello. Now Hoffman is fine but you know me regarding Mat Maneri. Plus no Ingrid Laubrock so NO saxophone!!!

It was the reason I chose that show over another one the same Saturday night - which was a fine sax-bass-drums set (I think with Matt Nelson, Henry Grimes & Ches Smith) and a set with Ches, Tyshawn Sorey & Randy Peterson - yes 3 drummers - yes I missed it!!!

I looked it up 10/4/2014. I'm still aggravated I missed that. I heard it was great and I'm sure Tyshawn played some piano, trombone & vibraphone so I'm sure it wasn't all 3 drummers!!! 

Louis Hayes did bring in the band, minus trumpeter Josh Evans, that recently recorded "Serenade For Horace" for Blue Note and it was great. As expected, Abraham Burton and Steve Nelson were stellar. Louis played incredibly for a guy who just turned 80 in May. My only reservation was the pianist, but a lot of that might have been because the piano was mic'ed terribly and sounded rinky-dink for most of his solos. No matter how it was mic'ed, if you doing a Horace Silver tribute and you bring in a pianist with a light left hand, it's not going to sound right. :)

They played for almost 2 hours straight. Definitely recommended if they come through your area.

George Clinton & Parliament/Funkadelic, night 2

last night was beyond my exceptions x100000000---- it was very avant garde.  it was way beyond what you normally expect from black music.  yes it was funky but it was not based in blues or jazz.  i never really got the sun ra-clinton comparisons ive heard through the years, now i do.  BLACKBYRD MCKNIGHT ON GUITAR, you may remember him from Herbie Hancock- FLOOD