What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Barry's Bop Quintet (so called because the three hornmen met at a Barry Harris masterclass in Rome) at Malcolm Frazer's house last Sunday afternoon. Trumpeter Lewis R Taylor is aged 21 and guitarist Jack Kinsella 19 and both are students at Birmingham Conservatoire. So there's hope for the younger generation after all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJRvZz7Dbag

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 10:57 PM, jlhoots said:

Incredible performance - William Henderson, Nat Reeves, Johnathan Blake.

Pharaoh was wonderful.

I'm going to see Pharoah in October at the Rialto Theater here in Atlanta. Really looking forward to it! :) 

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

In Chicago for a couple of days and saw that Benny Golson is at the Jazz Showcase.  I am going to try to catch the 8 o'clock show tonight!

Jealous! :g  I bet you're having a great evening! :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Jealous! :g  I bet you're having a great evening! :tup 

It was nice but even 5 years ago, you got about 50% talk, 50% music with Benny (and Lou Donaldson).  Now it is about 25% music.  Still definitely worth it to see one of the last giants (and these at least were new stories for me).  He did play "Horizon Ahead" off a fairly recently album, and the rest were his standards - "Whisper Not" and "I Remember Clifford."  They closed with Coltrane's Mr PC, taken at a fairly fast clip.

On 31/07/2017 at 2:42 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I wish he would keep his website up to date. I have no idea if he's touring anywhere near my area. Sonny Fortune is the same way.

Amazing how Sonny Fortune used to (and sound likes he still does) appear unexpectedly at gigs (at least to me). I had a couple of experiences like that when he was with Elvin Jones. Charles Tolliver sideman appearances were similar.

• 2 weeks later...

THE SUN RA ARKESTRA PLAYED THE ECLIPSE FESTIVAL IN ORGEON AND I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT IT.  IT WOULD OF BEEN A 350 MILE/PER-WAY TRIP, BUT I WOULD OF STRONGLY CONSIDERED IT.  MY ONE CHANCE TO EXPERIENCE THE SUN RA ARKESTRA AND I MISSED IT.  MY ONE CHANCE. :(:(

A reveler dances to the Sun Ra Arkestra as the Eclipse comes to an end.

THAT COULD OF BEEN ME DANCING NEXT TO DANNY RAY THOMPSON.   DOES THAT OREGON HIPPIE CHICK EVEN KNOW SHE IS DANCING NEXT TO DANNY RAY THOMPSON?

Eclipse-watchers look at the sun while the Sun Ra Arkestra plays behind them.

Marshall Allen, legendary bandleader, and a gaggle of galactic sungazers.

Image result for cry emojiImage result for cry emojiImage result for cry emojiImage result for cry emoji

WAS WATCHING A SF NEWSCAST FROM THE OTHER DAY WHERE THEY DID THEIR ONLY OTHER W. COAST SHOW, WHERE I WAS ABLE TO SEE MORE SHOTS OF THE BAND........THAT IS ABSOLUTELY MICHAEL RAY, IN THE 2ND PHOTO

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Tim Berne's Snakeoil 

At Atlas Studios in Newburgh, NY

bringing a good friend who has never seen or heard this sort of music.

Does Berne still play with just socks on his feet, or has he graduated to clogs?

I'm excited to be seeing Bill Charlap, peter and Kenny Washington this Saturday at the Vanguard. It's been 15 or more years since i  heard him in a club.

3 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Does Berne still play with just socks on his feet, or has he graduated to clogs?

I'm excited to be seeing Bill Charlap, peter and Kenny Washington this Saturday at the Vanguard. It's been 15 or more years since i  heard him in a club.

I've never noticed. I'll be checking tonight. 

4 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Tim Berne's Snakeoil 

At Atlas Studios in Newburgh, NY

bringing a good friend who has never seen or heard this sort of music.

Get there early to get your preferred seating. I have been there twice and both times they had a nice turnout. I thought about taking that drive, but I am more likely to head up to Goshen, MA to catch Tom Rainey Trio tonight - if I go anywhere.

2 hours ago, relyles said:

Get there early to get your preferred seating. I have been there twice and both times they had a nice turnout. I thought about taking that drive, but I am more likely to head up to Goshen, MA to catch Tom Rainey Trio tonight - if I go anywhere.

I'll be there by 7:15 or so. Show starts at 8:00. I hope that's early enough.

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I'll be there by 7:15 or so. Show starts at 8:00. I hope that's early enough.

Enjoy that, Steve. He's over in London in November so hopefully he'll be nicely in the groove by then...I saw Moholo-Moholo's 4 Blokes at the weekend. The most intense and joyous two hours of music I've witnessed in a long time