What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Joey Calderazzo Trio (Ben Wolfe, bs, Donald Edwards dms) at Band on the Wall, Manchester last night. Well-integrated, swinging piano trio.

Meanwhile I missed out on a performance by Jason Rebello at a local and very picturesque church during the weekend. Sounds magic - alas, only just heard about it. :(

1139214.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Meanwhile I missed out on a performance by Jason Rebello at a local and very picturesque church during the weekend. Sounds magic - alas, only just heard about it. :(

Saw Rebello at Malcolm Frazer's house last year. Just not my cup of tea. Calderazzo more like it.

Rebello is more rock-influenced. Indeed, he was in Jeff Beck's group I believe. I think I read that he lives in the Bath area, hence the local gig.

These church gigs can be great. Caught John Taylor in the fine old rural church at Plush, Dorset some years ago. Alas, never to be repeated.

Edited by sidewinder

6 hours ago, adh1907 said:

saw the band at the Vortex on Wednesday night, absolutely stunning. Gig of the year.  Las Vegas tango, for django brilliant. The Kenny Wheeler piece, didn't catch the name, was the highlight, solos from all the trumpets, Henry Lowther on flugelhorn but Percy Pursglove's solo was perfect. I hope someone is recording this band.

Anthony 

Stunning performance, most likely the gig of the year for me too. To my mind they hit the peak from the off, with that superb arrangement of ‘You Go To My Head’. Gil Evans would have been proud of that one. ‘Las Vegas Tango’ and ‘Django’ were stunning as well. In fact, it was all pretty great. The Wheeler tribute I forgot the name of too.

An inspired lineup of some of the best UK players and good to see Henry Lowther in there, who was on those Deram albums back in the day.

There was a CD on sale with of the band playing Gil Evans material. Not sure how recent that one is. Sadly, I was out of cash.  :(

Edited by sidewinder

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Stunning performance, most likely the gig of the year for me too. To my mind they hit the peak from the off, with that superb arrangement of ‘You Go To My Head’. Gil Evans would have been proud of that one. ‘Las Vegas Tango’ and ‘Django’ were stunning as well. In fact, it was all pretty great. The Wheeler tribute I forgot the name of too.

An inspired lineup of some of the best UK players and good to see Henry Lowther in there, who was on those Deram albums back in the day.

There was a CD on sale with of the band playing Gil Evans material. Not sure how recent that one is. Sadly, I was out of cash.  :(

The cd is at least a couple of years old and it's very good.  (Just looked at my copy: recoded 2012.) 

Wish I'd been there. Only time I've seen Gibbs live was in the '70s in Hampstead.  Went because Jack Bruce was on acoustic bass. 

Edited by medjuck

Kicking  myself for not getting to a cash machine and picking up that CD !

I think this is the first time I have seen Gibbs lead his own orchestra, although I have seen him direct other aggregations. His conducting style (seated) is a lot like Gil Evans, very low key and focussed on the score. Michael Janisch was on acoustic bass last night - very impressive.

I remember his ‘Only Chrome Waterfall Orchestra’ coming out just as I was getting into jazz. Time to dig it out.

Edited by sidewinder

On 16/07/2017 at 7:52 AM, BillF said:

Didn't I hear that this is Swanage's last?

Quick update - There is a JATP style fundraiser scheduled for the 29th in Swanage to raise funds for a potential festival next year under Nigel Price’s direction. Also a kickstarter campaign plus very early bird advance tickets. A bit of a hike on season ticket prices though. :(

The lineup on the 29th looks very good - Simon Spillett, Tony Kofi, Dave Newton, Mr Price plus many others.