What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

how was it HutchFan? I've tickets for next month's visit to London

I enjoyed it.  It was a good show, featuring an excellent band with William Henderson (p), Nat Reeves (b), and Jason Brown (d).

Sanders leaned on his band quite a bit -- often walking to the back of the stage to sit while the others soloed. Then again, I guess he's earned that right. 

Edited by HutchFan

3 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Whoa - someone needs to record that band!!!

They certainly do. Absolutely stunning performance. The string trio sounded like they'd been playing with the others for years. All made perfect musical sense. Oto does often record and release concerts so we may be lucky, it was a 3 day residency after all

Sadly I'm not really up to making London gigs these days.  Iwould have loved the opportunity to see the wonderful Hugh Ragin again.  Fortunately I can think back 30 years or more to seeing the AEOC on two occasions,  The atmosphere at the Roundhouse for their first appearance was absolutely electric -  unforgetable.

Jakob Bro (g), Thomas Morgan (b) and Joey Baron (dr) at "Kultur im Esel" in Einbeck-Sülbeck near Göttingen                                                                                http://kultur-im-esel.de/index.php/veranstaltungen/event/351-jakob-bro-trio

Edited by optatio

Last Thursday Night: Chico Freeman Plus-tet at the Village Vanguard, with Anthony Wonsey on piano, Kenny Davis bass, Billy Hart drums and Gust Tsilis on vibes. Two sets dedicated to Arthur Blythe, playing  compositions by and songs associated with Arthur Blythe. Mr. Freeman on a few songs played Blythe's alto sax (a 1927 Buscher). That was a great evening of music.

Last Friday, to Aaron Davis Hall in Harlem for a concert by vocalist Somi and her excellent band (including Liberty Ellman on guitar), performing songs from Petite Afrique and the Lagos Music Salon. Her voice is truly beautiful; and she writes very fine original material (Jazz/African fusion). The concert was thrilling.

Next, to Birdland for the Ron Carter Golden Stryker Trio (Russel Malone and Donald Vega). A fine set of chamber jazz.

Saturday was a busy day, the most extreme day of live music ever for me, with two music festivals in one day--Ragas Live at the Rubin Museum (24 hours of concerts from 10 a.m. Saturday to 10 a.m. Sunday) and the Bric Jazz Festival in Brooklyn. Starting at 11 in the morning at the Rubin, with sitarist Indro Roy Chowdbury. One masterful sitarist was followed by another even greater, Rabindra Narayan Goswami. Next a group called Woven, which merged Indian classical, jazz and spoken word, led by violinist Anjna Swaminathan (Stephen Crump on bass). Next, Recalling the Valley (featuring Jay Gandhi on bansuri and Max ZT on hammered dulcimer). Next up, Indian vocalist Falu. After a break, another wonderful sitarist, Abhik Mukerjee. Then I depart for Brooklyn to the Bric Jazz Festival, hearing Matana Roberts (solo), followed by Theo Croker, then Harriet Tubman (Brandon Ross, Melvin Gibbs, J.T. Lewis), and ending with the last part of the set by Rudresh Mahanthappa Indo Pak Coalition. I really enjoyed these sets--I hadn't heard Theo Croker before, but definitely liked him by the end of his set. Harriet Tubman was rather extreme--very loud jazz/rock/avant garde music which sent lots of the audience running for the hills. I loved the group.

I guess that should have been more than enough, but I returned to the Rubin Museum anyway, intending just to stay for another set or so. Those plans were discarded because the overnight music was just too good to leave. At 1, a group called Orakel, with kora and oud plus tablas, sort of a West African/Middle Eastern/Indian music fusion; they were wonderful. Followed by another fantastic group, The Epichorus, led by vocalist Priya Darshini. Moving for the rest of the night more heavily into Indian/jazz fusion, Sameer Gupta's A Circle Has No Beginning was followed by Aakash Mittal's Awaz Trio (with Rez Abassi on guitar). Then more jazz with Aaron Shragge's trumpet/guitar duet with Rez Abassi. Next back to the classical Indian music sound with Camilla Celin on sarod, followed by a sunrise raga with Eric Fraser on bansuri.

At this point my listening endurance ended (that is, sunrise). I actually didn't think I could listen to that many concerts in such a short period, but in fact the experience of staying up all night listening to music in the Rubin Museum was kind of marvelous, if sort of weird as well.

Edited by kh1958

Last night, two excellent sets from Hear In Now. The first as a trio, the second with Alexander Hawkins as guest. Recorded too, hopefully to see the light of day

It's been good to have them in London for the best part of a week, playing with AEOC, and Tomeka Reid with Jaimie Branch. All three such accomplished and adventurous musicians. Mazz Swift's vocals were a surprise package to me, used sparingly but to great effect in both groupings. 

Edited by mjazzg

Last night, Zakir Hussain and Dave Holland, Crosscurrents, at Annette Strauss Square. Also with Chris Potter and four musicians from India, including a spectacular Carnatic violinist. Actually the first time I've ever seen Dave Holland, he sounded great. This band is excellent, a mistake to pass this band by if it comes to your town.

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Regina Spektor

Looking, it seems to be just her (solo), which should be really good!  My wife's a fan (me too, but especially my wife) -- and we saw Regina with her band over the summer (with Ben Folds opening, solo).  I thought with her band, it was all a little stiff, and unspontaneous - but still fun.  She's got loads of personality that shines through, and I love most of her quirky songwriting, not entirely unlike Bjork (or Fiona Apple, for that matter).  Wish I could hear her solo sometime, probably a lot of fun.  Enjoy!

I am seeing Javon Jackson's superband, We Four, tomorrow night at the Scullers Jazz Club in Boston. I think it's a tribute to Coltrane (according to this blurb: http://www.vtjazz.org/events/2016/11/we-four-javon-jackson-and-jimmy-cobb-celebrate-the-music-of-john-coltrane.html)

Javon's bringing Joanne Brackeen, Eddie Gomez & Jimmy Cobb with him. George Cables was originally scheduled to play but he seems to be sick and it looks like it's been for quite a while. I hope he's OK. On the bright side, if there can be a bright side to someone being sick, I haven't seen Brackeen in many years, if at all. I really can't remember the last time I saw her play.

EDIT: I just realized that Joanne Brackeen is 79! I did not know she was that old. Man how time flies.

There are shows Friday & Saturday. If you're in the Boston area, you might want to catch this band.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

16 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Looking, it seems to be just her (solo), which should be really good!  My wife's a fan (me too, but especially my wife) -- and we saw Regina with her band over the summer (with Ben Folds opening, solo).  I thought with her band, it was all a little stiff, and unspontaneous - but still fun.  She's got loads of personality that shines through, and I love most of her quirky songwriting, not entirely unlike Bjork (or Fiona Apple, for that matter).  Wish I could hear her solo sometime, probably a lot of fun.  Enjoy!

All solo - vocals, piano, guitar, keyboard - great show!!

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 0:05 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Tomorrow Night at Firehouse 12 in New Haven, CT:

Daniel Levin, Tony Malaby & Randy Peterson

2 sets 8:30 & 10:00

I caught them last night in Northampton, MA. Possibly for a couple of reasons external to the performance, I was not able to get fully engaged with the music. Thinking about possibly hitting Firehouse 12 tonight to give it another shot.

Otherwise, other possibles for the weekend included Buster Williams Something More with Bruce Williams, George Colligan and Lenny White at the SideDoor Jazz Club in Old Lyme, CT, or Burton Greene Quartet in Newburgh, NY.