What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

2 hours ago, relyles said:

Otherwise, other possibles for the weekend included Buster Williams Something More with Bruce Williams, George Colligan and Lenny White at the SideDoor Jazz Club in Old Lyme, CT, or Burton Greene Quartet in Newburgh, NY.

I will possibly  make the Buster Williams show, if its not sold out.  Haven’t been to the Side Door yet. He is also appearing  there tomorrow.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/27/2017 at 0:49 PM, relyles said:

The Side Door is a very nice spot to listen to music.

A very good evening of music from Buster Williams & the quartet. This was my first time hearing Lenny White live. A remarkable drummer, a giant of his instrument, really.  Not a fan of George Colligan, to my ear Chick Corea was a major influence; not that it's a bad thing,.  This was also my introduction to Bruce Williams [Buster's relation?], who substituted for Steve Wilson, and quite masterfully. Epistrophy was a nice, juicy icing on the cake, that consisted mainly from originals. If anyone wants to know the set list, I wrote it down. 

It's a bit of a schlep for me, 80 miles each way, but it was well-worth it. The location is perfect, literally a few hundred feet from the I-95. Next time will get there earlier to catch a dinner before the show. The club itself is just small enough not to be cramped. The acoustics are terrific. It's interesting that you pay for both sets, there is no option for paying just for one. Sets were about 50 min long.

Edited by Dmitry

Saturday night, Lucky Peterson at Red Hot and Blue, about a mile or so from my home. An outdoor venue on an unseasonably cold night, but a real B3 is present so after too long of a wait there is lots of tasty organ playing, as well as some rather fine guitar.  

Tonight I have been in our medieval town hall from 1270 and have listened to Gunter Hampel's Music + Dance Improvisation Company in honor of Gunter´s 80th birthday in August this year and as part of the 40th Göttinger Jazzfestival.

Personnel: Gunter Hampel (vib, bcl, fl, perc), daughter Cavana Lee Hampel (voc), Johannes Schleiermacher (ts), Bernd Oezsevim (dr) and the dancers Danilo Cardoso, Chin Mei, Magdalena Dzeco and son Ruomi Lee Hampel.

Edited by optatio

10 hours ago, optatio said:

Tonight I have been in our medieval town hall from 1270 and have listened to Gunter Hampel's Music + Dance Improvisation Company in honor of Gunter´s 80th birthday in August this year and as part of the 40th Göttinger Jazzfestival.

Personnel: Gunter Hampel (vib, bcl, fl, perc), daughter Cavana Lee Hampel (voc), Johannes Schleiermacher (ts), Bernd Oezsevim (dr) and the dancers Danilo Cardoso, Chin Mei, Magdalena Dzeco and son Ruomi Lee Hampel.

Happy birthday Gunter! To the best of my knowledge he's not played in the UK for a very long time. One of the true originals who I'd love to see live. Maybe I need to travel to see him now

Tonight I will see Rolf Kühn (88!) with his Unit in our German Theater as part of our 40th Jazzfestival. Line Up: Rolf Kühn (cl), Philipp Gropper (sax) Ronny Graupe (g), Johannes Fink (b), Christian Lillinger (dr).

Rolf Kühn is a contemporary witness of the Reichskristallnacht (Crystal Night) November 9, 1938. He was 9 years old when he viseted the shop of his mother, born Moses, in Leipzig the day after and saw the wrecked furnishing by the Nazis with bike chains.

Pat Metheny

2 hours ago, optatio said:

Tonight I will see Rolf Kühn (88!) with his Unit in our German Theater as part of our 40th Jazzfestival. Line Up: Rolf Kühn (cl), Philipp Gropper (sax) Ronny Graupe (g), Johannes Fink (b), Christian Lillinger (dr).

Rolf Kühn is a contemporary witness of the Reichskristallnacht (Crystal Night) November 9, 1938. He was 9 years old when he viseted the shop of his mother, born Moses, in Leipzig the day after and saw the wrecked furnishing by the Nazis with bike chains.

Great that he’s still actively playing !

Edited by sidewinder

On 11.11.2017 at 3:43 PM, sidewinder said:

Great that he’s still actively playing !

Indeed - see photo of yesterday!

30935601bj.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                        © Christoph Mischke 

40th Göttinger Jazzfestival: Gunter Hampel (80), Rolf Kühn (88) and at last Marshall Allen (93) with the Sun Ra Arkestra. I saw him with the late Sun Ra many years ago. Now 93 and so active – unbelievable!                                                                                                                                                                                                  

2 hours ago, Niko said:

still playing, and: still playing with the very best younger musicians at 88 ... (at least, that's what I extrapolate from reading the name Lillinger in the line-up)

Here they are: Johannes Fink (53), Joachim Kühn (88), Christian Lillinger (33), Ronny Graupe (38) - Philipp Gropper (39) came later on stage:

30936269ne.jpg

© Christoph Mischke

Edited by optatio