What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks! It was really as you said. Very strong music that stays with you. Total engagement.

A friend showed me Ken Vandermark's comments on Instagram which are great to see what is perceived from the musician's point of view:

"There are highlights on a tour, and there are highlights. On a cold Monday in November, DKV played their third quartet gig with Joe McPhee, at Les Instants Chavirés in Paris. During soundcheck Joe started running, "Knox," which I recognized from his solo album "Tenor," one of my favorite albums of all time and the LP that transformed my life and led me to the music that I'm playing today. I suggested that we perform this incredible piece of blues during the concert and Joe merely said, "If it comes up." To say that I hoped it would was an understatement. What happened was even better than that- not only did we explore "Knox" on the bandstand with Kent Kessler and Hamid Drake, Joe introduced his classic composition, "Nation Time," in the first set. With it, the four of us set fire to the room. The third concert by this set of musicians brought things to ensemble territory- this was no longer Joe McPhee joining an established band as a guest, this was now a real band finding their way each night and introducing new materials to each other every set. I can't put into words the intensity I felt playing Joe's pieces with him onstage, music that I studied while in college during the mid 1980s, and that I arranged for him and eight other Chicagoans on one of my last albums for Okka Disk, "Impressions of Po Music." November 13, 2017 goes down in the books for me. Tonight DKV/McPhee performs at the Blue Tomato in Vienna, one of our favorite clubs in the world and already sold out- it will be a celebration with friends in spite of the strange and difficult times surrounding us. As Joe said in 1970, and which has more meaning now than ever before, "What Time Is It?!"

Edited by OliverM

Last night, Christian Scott at Turner Sims.  I didn't really know what to expect but his playing was quite astonishing.  Terrific technique and sound.  Some effective use of electronics.  Pretty much a full house with an appreciative audience, good mix of ages too.

I should have gone to the Scott. I didn't on the basis of a far too cursory listen to his latest album. Silly me

Just returned from The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda performed by Sai Anantham Ashram Singers - beautiful, uplifting listening experience.

Let's hope Pharoah Sanders continues where this left off later 

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I should have gone to the Scott. I didn't on the basis of a far too cursory listen to his latest album. Silly me

Just returned from The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda performed by Sai Anantham Ashram Singers - beautiful, uplifting listening experience.

Let's hope Pharoah Sanders continues where this left off later 

I dont know his recordings.   He piqued my interest when he performed at the Mingus Prom so I thought the Southampton gig was worth a punt. I can imagine his live performances don't necessarily represent his studio stuff.

On 17/11/2017 at 7:18 AM, JohnS said:

Last night, Christian Scott at Turner Sims.  I didn't really know what to expect but his playing was quite astonishing.  Terrific technique and sound.  Some effective use of electronics.  Pretty much a full house with an appreciative audience, good mix of ages too.

Good to hear. Laura Jurd and Dinosaur got a similar mixed and packed house at the same venue earlier in the year.

11 hours ago, JohnS said:

I dont know his recordings.   He piqued my interest when he performed at the Mingus Prom so I thought the Southampton gig was worth a punt. I can imagine his live performances don't necessarily represent his studio stuff.

He has three new records, all are good.

A Concert For Alice and John.Three bands, each interpreting Coltrane music and playing some of their own.

The Alina Bzhezhinsko Quartet made the most of Alina's impressive harp playing to play Alice's music. Tony Kofi shone on tenor (sounding a little like Yusef Lateef) and soprano. A good appetiser.

Denys Baptiste Quartet played music from his Late Trane recording.They stepped up the intensity. "Peace on Earth", "Dear Lord" and "Vigil" were highlights although everything was played with great power. Baptiste played off Nikki Yeoh's piano/keys a lot but the rock solid underpinning of the very impressive Rod Youngs on drums seemed the real key - a very tight Reggae beat passage shouldn't have worked but as an absolute delight. Good to hear Steve Williamson as a guest on "Vigil".

Pharoah Sanders Quartet. From his very slow walk onto the stage it was apparent that the years have caught up with Mr. Sanders. The apparent discomfort of his walking was difficult to see. Despite this, or maybe because of it, he was welcomed with a standing ovation. The band played up a storm, Gene Calderazzo and Oli Hayhurst were revelatory and William Henderson was so obviously a musician who knew the music inside out. Pharoah sat for most of the hour long set gently grooving to the extended trio playing. When he stood, his struggle to do so again wince-inducing in sympathy, to play much of the old power and sound was most definitely there. He never played for long, usually about half as long as it seemed the tune required and rarely made more than one solo per piece but often provided a beautiful coda. His every move, including a trademark jig, was met by a very enthusiastic crowd's thunderous applause. His vocal contributions were very strong during Masterplan and the addition of an Oud player really added to the sound on two-thirds of the set.

I last saw Pharaoh twenty years ago and despite the enjoyment to be had last night I left feeling slightly uneasy and wishing that I'd only left it ten years rather than twenty ro see him again. If it wasn't for his apparent joy and enjoyment as he took the a final applause I'd've questioned why he was still having to take these trans-Atlantic gigs with all the attendant travel and challenges that must present his body now. But he does and his tenor playing still hits smack on target between head and heart.

Nice report, thanks for that. Sorry to hear of Pharoah’s mobility problems but a miracle that he is still appearing at LJF, to be honest.

I miss the days of old at the LJF when the headliners were the likes of Andrew Hill, George Russell, Gerald Wilson. In fact I was listening to Russell’s 80th Birthday Concert from back in 2003 last night. First time I’ve heard it since I was there for the London bit of the recording. Nice to be reminded of the massive standing ovation that night after ‘So What’ with Mr Russell doing a jig on the stage, memorable !:)

Edited by sidewinder

On 6.11.2017 at 9:55 PM, optatio said:

Tonight I have been in our medieval town hall from 1270 and have listened to Gunter Hampel's Music + Dance Improvisation Company in honor of Gunter´s 80th birthday in August this year and as part of the 40th Göttinger Jazzfestival.

Personnel: Gunter Hampel (vib, bcl, fl, perc), daughter Cavana Lee Hampel (voc), Johannes Schleiermacher (ts), Bernd Oezsevim (dr) and the dancers Danilo Cardoso, Chin Mei, Magdalena Dzeco and son Ruomi Lee Hampel.

Here is the complete video of this performance:

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to this Sunday. The memory of Gérard Terrones will be celebrated simultaneously in both rooms of the Sunset/ Sunside from 5 pm onwards, with announced participation of:

David Murray, Michel Portal, Kirk Lightsey, Claude Bathélémy, Sylvia Howard, Simon Goubert, Laurent de Wilde, Gérard Marais, Bobby Few, Sophia Domancich, Hasse Poulsen, Jean-Louis Chautemps, Alain Jean-Marie, Julie Saury, François Jeanneau, Michel Edelin, Steve Potts, Sylvain Kassap, Richard Bonnet, John Betsch, Joelle Léandre, Raphael Lemonnier, Irakli, Rasul Siddik, Noel McGhie, Dany Doriz, Benjamin Duboc, Christian Lété, Ricky Ford, Manu pekar, Daniel Beaussier, Xavier Bornens, Awa Timbo, Jobic Le Masson, Dominique Lemerle, Pascal Bréchet, Jef Sicard, Jac Berrocal, Arnaud Sacasse, Françoise Franca Cuomo, Caroline Faber, Claudine François, François Tusques, Paul Wacrenier, Alan Silva, Hubert Dupont, Aldridge Hansberry, Makoto Sato, Peeter Uuskyla, Alex Grillo, Alain Pinsolle... Artistic direction : François Lemonnier

2 hours ago, OliverM said:

Looking forward to this Sunday. The memory of Gérard Terrones will be celebrated simultaneously in both rooms of the Sunset/ Sunside from 5 pm onwards, with announced participation of:

David Murray, Michel Portal, Kirk Lightsey, Claude Bathélémy, Sylvia Howard, Simon Goubert, Laurent de Wilde, Gérard Marais, Bobby Few, Sophia Domancich, Hasse Poulsen, Jean-Louis Chautemps, Alain Jean-Marie, Julie Saury, François Jeanneau, Michel Edelin, Steve Potts, Sylvain Kassap, Richard Bonnet, John Betsch, Joelle Léandre, Raphael Lemonnier, Irakli, Rasul Siddik, Noel McGhie, Dany Doriz, Benjamin Duboc, Christian Lété, Ricky Ford, Manu pekar, Daniel Beaussier, Xavier Bornens, Awa Timbo, Jobic Le Masson, Dominique Lemerle, Pascal Bréchet, Jef Sicard, Jac Berrocal, Arnaud Sacasse, Françoise Franca Cuomo, Caroline Faber, Claudine François, François Tusques, Paul Wacrenier, Alan Silva, Hubert Dupont, Aldridge Hansberry, Makoto Sato, Peeter Uuskyla, Alex Grillo, Alain Pinsolle... Artistic direction : François Lemonnier

Lots of very interesting names and possible combinations in that list. I'm sure they'll make sure it's a worthy tribute

23 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

i saw mclaughlin tonight dawg- thats a big one, i know.  i kind of "get it" now- never listed to much mahavishinu, but now i will- it was good seeing it live.  He is a shredder, but hes wayyyyyyy better than DiMeola.  how did john get hooked up w/ miles in the 1st place anyone recall?  

I got so lucky because I had gone to New York to play with Tony [Williams] and Larry [Young], and I met Miles the day I arrived. I saw him again the next day and he said, “Come to the studio,” and that was the In a Silent Way recording. The title track is a Joe Zawinul tune and it’s a beautiful piece, only Miles didn’t like the way Joe set it up. So he said to me, “You play it. Everyone will stop and you play it.” Well, I had Joe’s part but there was no guitar part. So I said, “Listen, this is a piano part. Do you want the chords and the melody?” I was sweating so hard my clothes were soaked. That’s when he said, “Play it like you don’t know how to play the guitar.”

Read more: https://www.relix.com/articles/detail/john_mclaughlin_on_miles_davis_mahavishnu_and_more#ixzz50YbwafFB

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:32 AM, BFrank said:

I'm seeing the McLaughlin/Herring show on Friday. Should be a blast (literally).

I'll be sure to bring hearing protection. ;)

Not saying you should not bring hearing protection (I often do) but when I saw the Newark show I was pleasantly surprised that it was NOT overly loud.   Brought plugs but ended up leaving them in my pocket.

12 hours ago, skeith said:

Not saying you should not bring hearing protection (I often do) but when I saw the Newark show I was pleasantly surprised that it was NOT overly loud.   Brought plugs but ended up leaving them in my pocket.

OK - thanks for the heads up. I'll have them with me, just in case.