What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That's almost too much of a good thing. Enjoy the music

9 hours ago, OliverM said:

24831141_1557971177623165_89743603819270

24799647_1557971144289835_81513342259266

Just now discovering the programme...

I just spotted Jacque Coursil is playing but only for 15 minutes. Is he very active these days? I would love to see him play

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I just spotted Jacque Coursil is playing but only for 15 minutes. Is he very active these days? I would love to see him play

Whenever I see a listing for a live show in France, I always check for Andre Jaume's name. Is he officially retired?

McLaughlin was great last night. I haven't seen him in about 40 years(!), but it doesn't sound like he's lost a step. Just as dynamic and exciting as he was back then. He looks great and had a lot of energy. His quartet is amazing, too. I wasn't familiar with a lot of the pieces they played, but it didn't matter as I was enjoy his performance so much.

Jimmy Herring, who's touring with him, was a bit of a disappointment. His opening set seemed very 'pedestrian' to me. He's obviously a master guitar player and his band was competent enough. There just seemed to be a lack of energy on stage and I didn't find his guitar playing interesting, in spite of the pyrotechnics. They all stepped it up a notch for the final set with both bands playing together, though.

15 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I'm worried that some of these musicians would love to be more active, but as has sadly been demonstrated with Sunny Murray, they don't get offered that many dates in late. Coursil plays solo, like last year in a record shop. He would be comfortable of course with much longer playing time, but that's how today's format is. Alan Silva who was supposed to be playing today finally is not, last time he played in Paris as far as I know was two or three years ago. It's also rare to hear Bobby Few nowadays. Last time was him filling in for Arkestra pianist who couldn't come.

As for André Jaume, I don't know. He was playing in some festivals a couple of years ago and seemed in great shape.

Yes it will be great to see Steve Potts!

Edited by OliverM

you know who killed it tonight? Dick Hyman on the club dizzys nyc lincoln center webcast.  he was playing in a perfect fats waller style- i guess thats been big w/ him but i know he can play in many differerent styles- but he was playing waller tunes, like exceptionally good in the style of waller

• 3 weeks later...

JulianLageTrio_MoodsZurich_20180111_2107

Julian Lage Trio - Moods, Zurich - 11 Jan 2018

Julian Lage (g), Jorge Roeder (b), Eric Doob (d)

Heard Julian Lage with his trio last night - terrific show! How they melt together all kinds of americana (lots of jazz, some blues, folk, country, and some glossy pop and bits of loungy stuff, too, and then they throw in some old-timey tunes) into a very coherent mix that is quite amazing. The main show is Lage on guitar, spinning endless lines with a flow of ideas that often is miraculous indeed (and a few times actually had me think of Sonny Rollins) ... the way they deal with dynamics, being able to change from cathartic, powerful fff to the most glowingly intense pianissimo is fantastic. You don't get too many jazz musicians paying attention to dynamics, alas ... Roeder and Doob proved excellent sidemen, the three form a tightly-knit unit, and the two sidemen also had their solo spots and made excellent use of them, too. Lage plays his telecaster (Springsteen's favoured guitar for ages) with no twitchings of the sound at all, but he gets quite some stuff out of it, making good use of its twang and playing his very clear, singing lines (Jim Hall was the master, right?) with a sound that is totally his own and creates a wonderful contrast to the stuff he actually plays - sometimes you'd rather expect a woosh à la Bill Frisell or a real country twang often - but he gives you neither, instead offering his own stuff, which, after all, is just what jazz is about.

Crappy smartphone pics (despite the club being full and the queue long, we got lovely front row seats)

JulianLageTrio_MoodsZurich_20180111_2233

Last Thursday, the Lonnie Smith Trio at Jazz Standard (fantastic set).

Later that same day, the Vijay Iyer Sextet at Birdland (same group as on the Far From Over record, very good).

Last Friday, at Winter Jazzfest Marathon: Charnett Moffett Music from our Soul at the Bitter End (a great set by an inspired band); Stefon Harris and Blackout at New School Tishman; Mark Ribot's Songs of Resistance at New School Tishman (not sure Mark Ribot has a future as a protest song singer, but the band featuring James Brandon Lewis and Brigan Kraus was quite good); Nicole Mitchell Art and Anthem for Gwendolyn Brooks featuring Jason Moran at New School Tishman (jazz with poetry presentation was fine; the band shined, particularly Jason Moran); and Ernest Dawkins' New Horizons Ensemble Featuring Vijay Iyer at Subculture (a packed 1 a.m. set for the Chicago saxophonist, with Hamid Drake on drums and Junius Paul on bass; that was rather enjoyable).

Saturday at Winter Jazzfest Marathon: Nicole Mitchell's Pterodactyl at Subculture (trio with Liberty Ellman on guitar and Sara Serpa on voice); James Carter's Electrik Outlet at New School Tishman (exuberant, prodigious set featuring the impressive Ralphe Armstrong on bass guitar); Harriet Tubman Plays Free Jazz at New School Tishman (the jazz/rock/avant garde power trio of Brandon Ross/Melvin Gibbs/J.T. Lewis expands to a double quartet, adding a second bassist and drummer, plus James Brandon Lewis, Darius Jones and Jaimie Branch, and they play not free jazz but "Free Jazz," the Ornette Coleman composition, in an epic sonic assault; fantastic); and finally, the Sun Ra Arkestra plays a live score to Space is the Place at the New School Tishman (led by Marshall Allen, the Arkestra literally watched the movie with the rest of us and added music; when the Arkestra was playing on the soundtrack they doubled the composition live; it was an odd experience, there was Sun Ra on a giant screen dispensing enigmatic wisdom in his battle with the Overseer; I had never seen the cheesy, amusing, blackploitation film; then after the movie was over, the Arkestra played the traditional Space is the Place, which was great to hear live again, like seeing an old friend you never thought you would see again).

A somewhat disconcerting experience the second night of the Marathon was hearing the last 20 minutes or so of Jazzmeia Horn's set. The odd part was trying to reconcile what I heard around me (multiple people expressing rave opinions about her, plus her Grammy nomination), with what I heard--someone who seemed not ready to be presented in this fashion, with vocal mannerisms at times quite grating and annoying to hear. Maybe if she studies for another ten years or so and has the right teachers she might develop, but that level of praise for such a young musician with flaws was ridiculous.

Edited by kh1958

Seeing the Vijay Iyer Sextet on Saturday at SFJAZZ. Looking forward to it! Slightly different lineup than the album.

• Vijay Iyer: piano, Fender Rhodes
  • Graham Haynes: cornet
  • Steve Lehman: alto saxophone
  • Mark Shim: tenor saxophone
  • Stephan Crump: bass
  • Marcus Gilmore: drums

8 hours ago, BFrank said:

Seeing the Vijay Iyer Sextet on Saturday at SFJAZZ. Looking forward to it! Slightly different lineup than the album.

• Vijay Iyer: piano, Fender Rhodes
  • Graham Haynes: cornet
  • Steve Lehman: alto saxophone
  • Mark Shim: tenor saxophone
  • Stephan Crump: bass
  • Marcus Gilmore: drums

At the set I heard at Birdland, Tyshawn Sorey was on drums.

On 15/01/2018 at 11:54 AM, kh1958 said:

Nicole Mitchell's Pterodactyl at Subculture (trio with Liberty Ellman on guitar and Sara Serpa on voice)

I'm always interested in any new combination that Mitchell plays in. And, I really enjoy Ellman's playing on disc. How was this?

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I'm always interested in any new combination that Mitchell plays in. And, I really enjoy Ellman's playing on disc. How was this?

She said it was their first performance and a brand new group--Mitchell and Ellman both sound good, but a bit of a mixed reaction on Sara Serpa--her wordless vocals I find to be often beautiful (as is she), but when she sings lyrics, it sometimes doesn't work for me. So overall, a pleasing, quiet, chamber jazz group, but your degree of enthusiasm will depend on how much you like the vocalist. 

Now the other Nicole Mitchell group I saw, with Jason Moran on piano, Brad Jones on bass, and Shirazette Tinnin on drums, they sounded amazing. 

Edited by kh1958

4 hours ago, kh1958 said:

She said it was their first performance and a brand new group--Mitchell and Ellman both sound good, but a bit of a mixed reaction on Sara Serpa--her wordless vocals I find to be often beautiful (as is she), but when she sings lyrics, it sometimes doesn't work for me. So overall, a pleasing, quiet, chamber jazz group, but your degree of enthusiasm will depend on how much you like the vocalist. 

Now the other Nicole Mitchell group I saw, with Jason Moran on piano, Brad Jones on bass, and Shirazette Tinnin on drums, they sounded amazing. 

Thanks for those comments. I suspect I may react similarly to the vocals - I tend to enjoy wordless more than lyrics. I'd missed the other Mitchell group in your first post. I'm a Moran fan so the prospect of them together entices, I don't know the other two. Here's hoping these groups both make it to a recording at sometime

• 2 weeks later...

bildschirmfoto_2018-01-04_um_15-34-02.pn

A good old friend and former percussion student of mine (and member of my current drum band of former students) is a member of Alles Blech (All Tin). They opened the evening's program and even invited me on stage for the number I coached them for,a Cuban Conga de Comparsa carnival rhythm. nice evening, with the Iranian duet playing some stunning things.

• 2 weeks later...

Have tickets for a concert by Jean Rondeau tonight, playing harpsichord concerts and chamber pieces of Bach & Sons, but road conditions keep us at home - I don't mind the snow, but it was raining this afternoon, the ground is frozen, there is a serious warning for icy roads. Ice is nasty ...... we'd have to go 50 km to get there. I was glad I decided to take a train to Frankfurt in the morning for accompanying dance classes - the term's last sessions; the highway was jam packed, but I got there on time. 

My wife just returned home and fell asleep on the couch. Oh well .... just spinning the CD with an almost identical program.

811m-LDpwlL._SL1425_.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

Tony Malaby Quartet 

with Marc Hannaford on piano (I’m unfamiliar with him - Malaby has a very wide range of musicians that he plays with so I’m excited to hear another new name to me), Michael Formanek on bass & the *great* Randy Peterson on drums 

2 sets @ Cornelia Street Cafe 8:30 & 10:00