What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night, the Brad Mehldau Trio at the University of Texas at Dallas. The first half of the concert, which seemed to consist of material from an impending release, was utterly boring. Why did I come to this? Then, in a complete shift, the group played a Sidney Bechet composition, which was quite gorgeous. The last two songs, which I gathered was older repertoire of the group, were actually pretty good. So in the end I hated/liked the concert.

Earlier today:

NEXUS Percussion - April 22, 2018 3:00 PM at the Redeemer Lutheran Church [Kingston, NY]

NEXUS is made up of four master percussionists internationally revered for virtuosity, innovation and extraordinary music out of the broadest array of percussion instruments imaginable.

PROGRAM: 

Prelude:  
Pauline Oliveros (1932 - 2016) The Greeting Meditation (1972) 
(performed before the beginning of the concert)
Program:  
Lou Harrison (1917 - 2003) Solo (To Anthony Anthony Cirone) (1972)
NEXUS Echoes of Spirit (2018)
Traditional Zimbabwe (arr. NEXUS) Tongues (late 1970s)
Steve Reich (b. 1936) Drumming Part I Drumming Part I (1970-1971)

*** INTERMISSION ***

Traditional (arr. NEXUS)  Ancient Military Aires (Ancient)
The Long Roll
Three Camps
The Downfall of Paris
Hell on the Wabash
Steve Reich (arr. Garry Kvistad) Mallet Phase (2012)
Ragtime Xylophone Music Selections  
George Hamilton Green (1893 - 1970) 
(arr. Bob Becker)
Caprice Valsant (1927)
Antonin Dvorak (1841-1904)
(arr.Ford T. Dabney and Yurika Kimura)
Castle Valse Classique (originally titled Humoresque)(1894)
George Hamilton Green (arr. Bob Becker) Just A Kiss From You  (1921)
George Hamilton Green and Victor Arden 
(arr. Bill Cahn)
Dotty Dimples (1921)

Tonight I'm seeing Playtime with Raymond MacDonald at the Outhouse, Edinburgh. Playtime has joint leaders in Martin Kerhsaw ( alto, clarinet etc) Graeme Stephen (guitar and electronics) plus regulars Tom Bancroft (drums) and Mario Caribe (bass)

i last saw Macdonald performing a duo with our own Alex Hawkins in December '17. The Playtime sessions run fortnightly throughout the year since 2014.  It's a small venue but it's great to see audience numbers increasing to capacity. If you're in Edinburgh it's worth checking out 

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I'm surprised they're still going, haven't thought about them in nearly 40 years. Any original members?

The usual ubiquitous one original member (Mick Box - guitarist and founder). A lot of these ghost bands touring today really bug me, especially if the band doesn't have the original lead singer. Uriah Heep died in 1986 when their lead singer David Byron died. You don't see a band on tour today called "David Bowie" for a reason.

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

It was fantastic! I really enjoyed seeing Lew Tabackin’s first set at Smalls last night as well. Chatted with him briefly afterwards and bought a couple of his CDs.

Very nice. I caught the 2nd set on the internet this morning and thought his playing on tenor and flute was excellent. In fact, just as good as the last time I saw him, nearly 20 years ago.

18 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I hope you enjoy that one.

It's a duo I struggle with due to the harshness of some of Leigh's sounds but I know that's my loss as I'm missing out on prime Brotzmann

I have the same problem with Leigh's playing and this was confirmed again yesterday. I was expecting this but if you want to see PB down under, unfortunately you cannot afford to be selective. He is not exactly a frequent visitor to our shores. I had the impression, the two musicians did not really enjoy themselves yesterday. They played continuously for 45 minutes and then left without a word. They dropped their instruments exactly (at the very second!) at 10pm, as advertised. There must have been a clock on stage. I somehow believe that the venue (which is certainly not known for anything remotely related to jazz) was not really what they expected. Maye it did not help that they had to set up their instruments accompanied by heavy techno beats. Anyway, despite my problems with Leigh's playing (or maybe it's just the pedal steel guitar, I never heard this instrument elsewhere), there were some good moments (e.g., some references to Lonely Woman).

One issue I had was the volume of the show. Either I am getting too old for this (probably), or it was just way too loud. I have visited dozens of jazz performances but never one that was so loud. The loud techno beats played before the show were dwarfed by the volume of the actual show. This was a very small venue which was fully packed with a standing audience of about 150-200 people. The reed instruments probably would have been just right without amplification. Instead, the instruments were amplified to the limits of permanent hearing damage. I used ear protection, I am fine today.

Would I visit another Brotzmann/Leigh show in Melbourne? Yes, I happily accept any opportunity to experience PB live. Would I prefer to see BP with William Parker and Hamid Drake next time around? Yes, please!

@romualdo is seeing the Brisbane show later this week, which takes place in a completely different venue (museum). I hope he shares some of his impressions from this show.

12 hours ago, Misterioso said:

I have the same problem with Leigh's playing and this was confirmed again yesterday. I was expecting this but if you want to see PB down under, unfortunately you cannot afford to be selective. He is not exactly a frequent visitor to our shores. I had the impression, the two musicians did not really enjoy themselves yesterday. They played continuously for 45 minutes and then left without a word. They dropped their instruments exactly (at the very second!) at 10pm, as advertised. There must have been a clock on stage. I somehow believe that the venue (which is certainly not known for anything remotely related to jazz) was not really what they expected. Maye it did not help that they had to set up their instruments accompanied by heavy techno beats. Anyway, despite my problems with Leigh's playing (or maybe it's just the pedal steel guitar, I never heard this instrument elsewhere), there were some good moments (e.g., some references to Lonely Woman).

One issue I had was the volume of the show. Either I am getting too old for this (probably), or it was just way too loud. I have visited dozens of jazz performances but never one that was so loud. The loud techno beats played before the show were dwarfed by the volume of the actual show. This was a very small venue which was fully packed with a standing audience of about 150-200 people. The reed instruments probably would have been just right without amplification. Instead, the instruments were amplified to the limits of permanent hearing damage. I used ear protection, I am fine today.

Would I visit another Brotzmann/Leigh show in Melbourne? Yes, I happily accept any opportunity to experience PB live. Would I prefer to see BP with William Parker and Hamid Drake next time around? Yes, please!

@romualdo is seeing the Brisbane show later this week, which takes place in a completely different venue (museum). I hope he shares some of his impressions from this show.

Well, a little PB is better than none especially if he's rarely spotted in the vicinity. I'm glad you enjoyed what you did. It certainly sounds as if they weren't in the best of moods when they finished as he's always exuded a positivity about events when I've seen him. I've never been bothered by excessive volume at a PB gig even when it was the Tentet so it sounds like a product of balance with the amped pedal steel?

I don't mind some pedal steel at all (see Mary Halvorson's Octet recording for a Jazz context) but I agree about Leigh's sound and volume.I think I'll continue to give them a pass. As for the Techno, I have an alternative universe image where Brotzmann locks into the beat and blows his heart out with it - a dance version of his recent Black Bombain recording where he takes on the rock band's rhythms. I think I'd pay money to experience that alternative

First weekend of the New Orleans Jazz and  Heritage Festival:

Friday:

Spencer Bohren & the Whippersnappers (Blues Tent): Mostly in the folk genre,  with Aurora Nealand on saxophones. Pretty good actually.

Meschiya Lake and the Little Big Horns (Blues Tent): A rather popular singer in New Orleans; her band is pleasingly low volume acoustic; not really my cup of tea for the most part.

Sidi Toure (Blues Tent): Mali desert blues. Quite excellent.

Christian Scott (Jazz Tent): Based on his last appearance at the festival two years ago, and the three CDs he released last year, my expectations were high; the set was good but most of it was marred by sonic issues, principally difficulty hearing the leader and saxophonist Logan Richardson. A bit of a disappointment, though not his fault.

Calvin Johnson/Aurora Nealand/Brian Breeze Cayolle, Stories of Sidney Bechet (Economy Hall): Now this was the best set I heard that day, a superb triple soprano saxophone tribute to Sidney Bechet. It appears to my ears that Aurora Nealand is a very fine musician.

Bobby Rush (Blues Tent): The 85 year old Southern soul/bluesman still sings well and plays a mean harmonica. An entertaining, extremely politically incorrect set (featuring the Bobby Rush dancers). 

Saturday:

Trumpet Mafia (Jazz Tent): Fantastic group and set. Almost more trumpet players than one can count (I counted 17, plus one tuba player), plus bass, drums, two percussionists (Bill Summers was one),  and three keyboard players; led once again by Maurice Brown, the set was a mix of jazz standards and Maurice Brown originals. Also featuring Adam Rapa, Ashlin Parker and Emily Mikesell.                                                .

Sona Jobarteh (Blues Tent): Incredible set by a group from The Gambia. Sona Jobarteh sings and plays the kora and guitar beautifully. Simply wonderful.

Charles Lloyd and the Marvels with Lucinda Williams (Jazz Tent): Before a packed to the rafters Jazz Tent, the first half of the set was instrumental and was very good. Mr. Lloyd sounded great. The last half featured Lucinda Williams on vocals; I can't say I'm a fan, but she does have some character to her vocals.

Delfeayo Marsalis presents the Uptown Jazz Orchestra (Jazz Tent): Last year I learned about this excellent band at the festival, and this set was in the same vein. This band swings like mad, has excellent soloists (for example, Roger Lewis on baritone, Khari Allen Lee on alto, Gregory Agid on clarinet, the leader himself), and moreover is fun.

Sunday:

Kidd Jordan and the Improvisational Arts Quintet (Jazz Tent): Kidd Jordan looked frail. He didn't sound frail. Joined by Kent Jordan on flute, Marlon Jordan on trumpet, William Parker on bass, Alvin Fielder on drums, and Joel Futterman on pinao, this set was remarkable; Kidd Jordan sounded magnificent, and his extended interplay with Kent Jordan on flute was simply amazing. A great set.

Nicholas Payton Too Black (Jazz Tent): Usually I have mixed reactions to his groups, and this was no exception. This was in the nature of a jazz/funk group (guitar, bass, two drummers), plus three backup singers, and Nicholas Payton doubling on trumpet and keyboards. This time, he played a lot of trumpet, and he sounded real good. Some of the songs worked (to my ears), some did not. Still pretty interesting.

Tuba  Skinny (Economy Hall): This New Orleans street band (cornet/clarinet/trombone/tuba/bango/two guitars/washboard) plays a mixture of originals and early jazz compositions (for example, they played compositions of Fletcher Henderson, Duke Ellington, King Oliver and Lonnie Johnson). I enjoyed the band quite a lot; the star of the band is the cornet player, whose sound is gorgeous--Shaye Cohn (from what I have read, she is Al Cohn's granddaughter). She is a wonderful player.

Edited by kh1958

Sylvie Courvoisier Trio (w/Drew Gress & Kenny Wollesen) last night - was fantastic!

Their recent Intakt disc is mighty good, but live the same tunes got much longer and I guess more intense/dynamic ... first set was a whopping 90 minutes, second another hour, for an encore they had to do a free impro as they'd ran out of tunes it sempt.

1 hour ago, king ubu said:

Sylvie Courvoisier Trio (w/Drew Gress & Kenny Wollesen) last night - was fantastic!

Their recent Intakt disc is mighty good, but live the same tunes got much longer and I guess more intense/dynamic ... first set was a whopping 90 minutes, second another hour, for an encore they had to do a free impro as they'd ran out of tunes it sempt.

I’d been eyeing the Intakt disc, that sounds dangerously (for my bank balance ) like a recommendation 🐣