What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

On 6/4/2018 at 1:45 PM, mjazzg said:

Yes, it was the final day of a weekend of one-day line ups in London over the last couple of weekends

https://www.allpointseastfestival.com/presents/

I'm of the vintage now where I go just for the latter part of the day rather than try and make it all the way through!

Understandable! I avoid "big field" outdoor festivals, myself. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At  Rudy's Jazz Room in Nashville:

Last Sunday night: Charles Treadway Trio (soul jazz with organ/guitar/drums).

Last Monday night: Giovanni Rodriguez (Cuban jazz/Latin music with violin, keyboards, bass guitar, congas, timbales).

Edited by kh1958

Three nights at SFJAZZ this week:
Tuesday: Brian Blade Fellowship Band, w/Melvin Butler soprano & tenor saxophones, Myron Walden alto saxophone & bass clarinet, Kurt Rosenwinkel guitar, Jon Cowherd piano, Chris Thomas bass
Wednesday: Broken Shadows, w/Tim Berne alto saxophone, Chris Speed tenor saxophone & clarinet, Reid Anderson bass, Dave King drums
Thurs (tonight): JULIAN LAGE TRIO: w/Jorge Roeder bass, Eric Doob drums
THUMBSCREW: Mary Halvorson guitar, Michael Formanek bass, Tomas Fujiwara drums

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, Marvin Stamm Quartet at the Kitchen Cafe. I must say that Marvin Stamm, who played flugelhorn and was mostly sitting at age 79, sounded absolutely fabulous. The highlight was when Helen Sung, who was in the audience, joined the group for three songs in the second set. She hasn't really registered with me before, but her playing was quite dynamic. A really pleasing experience, with quite excellent sound in the small club.

A short  visit to New Orleans:

Sunday evening: Carl LeBlanc Trio at Bamboula's. Some really gorgeous guitar playing from the ex-Sun Ra Arkestra guitarist.

Monday: Leroy Jones at Preservation Hall. As usual, magnificent trumpet playing. Also with Daniel Farrow on tenor saxophone--obviously a real Lester Young devotee, and further reading revealed his formative inspiration of hearing Lester Young at a JATP concert.

Royal Roses at The Maison. Very disappointed that Aurora Nealand was not present this evening.

Charmaine Neville at Snug Harbor. Her band, including Detroit Brooks on guitar, is excellent.

Tuesday afternoon: Down on Your Luck Orchestra at the Old Mint/National Jazz Museum. Including Astral Project drummer Johnny Vidacovich and bassist Michael Harris.

Carl LeBlanc at Bamboula's: This time, a duo with a vocalist.

Emily Mikesell Quartet at The Maison.

Edited by kh1958

im proud of you guys for seeking out new interesting jazz concerts, at this point i dont try to find any new jazz like some of the pics u guys posted but i know thats good stuff i just am not happy w/ that esp w. cover charge, in fact the only jazz show i think im gonna see get this year is McCoy Tyner.- 

Last weekend, a short visit to West Texas, specifically,  Midland, for the Tall City Blues Festival:

Friday: Eddie "Devil Boy" Turner

Anni Piper

Heather Gillis (partial set)

Kara Grainger

Saturday: Ally Venable

Kenny Neal 

Vanessa Collier

There was a lot more rock that blues in the Tall City Blues Festival; also a lot of fresh talent in the form of young women. It was great to hear master guitarist Eddie Turner again after a number of years. Kara Grainer is mysteriously little known--a beautiful woman from Australia with a soulful voice and wicked guitar skills, her set was great. Vanesa Collier, a vocalist/saxophonist (ex-of the Joe Louis Walker band) presented an exciting hybrid set of blues/funk/rock/gospel/jazz to close the festival.                                                                   

Just back from a cracking day at the Swanage Fest.

Greg Abate was in fine fettle to kick things off. He is loved at Swanage.

Then Clark Tracey with a new quintet of very gifted youngsters - very impressive.

Simon Spillett in two performances - one with trombonist Ian Bateman recreating vintage JJ Johnson and Frank Rosolino charts. The second with his Quartet featuring tunes associated with various tenors. Lovely stuff !

Phronesis finished things off. The room was as hot as a sauna, the performance a stunner..

Probably the most impressive music of the day though was by trumpeter Byron Wallen and his group. Wish I’d caught more of it !

Edited by sidewinder

I've always been impressed by Wallen on the all too rare occasions I've seen him.

On a very non-Jazz note I saw a jaw-droppingly good performance by Godspeed You! Black Emperor accompanying the Holy Body Tattoo dance group. Not for the faint-hearted.

Edited by mjazzg

20 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I've always been impressed by Wallen on the all too rare occasions I've seen him.

Sadly, I missed most of his suite  inspire by the Woolwich area which was the main feature of his performance. What I did catch though was an absolutely brilliant version of ‘Black Satin’ from Miles’ ‘On The Corner’ that his group finished with. Ran Miles’ version close !

Yesterday’s highlights - Alan Barnes in duet with Dave Newton, the Pete Long Big Band’s stunning full recreation of the Benny Goodman 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert, Spats Langham’s group, Jazz Jamaica’s party-style blast and the usual early jazz recreation excellence from Keith Nichols’ Blue Devils. That brilliant trumpeter Enrico Tomasso excelled with both Langham and Nichols.

Nigel Price has confirmed that it will continue in 2019 so - bring it on ! :)

Edited by sidewinder

Friday night at the Philadelphia Museum of Art caught the best jazz singer I've heard in some time, Washington, D.C.-based Christie Dashiell, daughter of a veteran bassist who heads a college jazz program in N. Carolina. Her trio is excellent. Her older brother on drums has some Vernell Fournier in him, I thought, and pianist Allyn Johnson is excellent.

Yesterday a rare meeting with the world of jazz mainstream at the North Sea Jazz festival, 75 minute sets are a definite plus - and I enjoyed what I heard, sometimes unexpectedly: Mathias Eick Quintet, Hudson (deJohnette, Scofield, Medeski, Colley), Mulatu Astatke (including our own Alexander Hawkins), Vijay Iyer Sextet (and before parts of a bft with Iyer)... not a bad package at all

9 hours ago, Niko said:

Yesterday a rare meeting with the world of jazz mainstream at the North Sea Jazz festival, 75 minute sets are a definite plus - and I enjoyed what I heard, sometimes unexpectedly: Mathias Eick Quintet, Hudson (deJohnette, Scofield, Medeski, Colley), Mulatu Astatke (including our own Alexander Hawkins), Vijay Iyer Sextet (and before parts of a bft with Iyer)... not a bad package at all

I saw Hudson last year. I thought their live show was much more interesting than the album.

what was funny was that the festival is in that trade fair type complex where everything is named after rivers and other places (Congo, Nile, Madeira, Mekong, Maas ...) and the band really played in "Hudson". I haven't heard the album but am definitely curious - the concert had its moments but did not seem completely coherent/tight - and the sound was pretty bad, too. Organ+Bass+Guitar is not easy. The one concert that really exceeded expectations was Mathias Eick - expected the kitschiest, most relaxing side of ECM and got it but: I had a good time and, after the train ride, the metro and walking through thousands of people, I was amazed to hear music that restored me to calm and collected within five minutes max. Plus: This was not a "cool" band but a playful one, even though the music is what it is.

7 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Seeing Kraftwerk in Stuttgart tomorrow night.

No kidding? You're at my hometown tomorrow? At the Jazz Open? :excited:

Would be nice to meet you for a chat. Though I will be out of town tomorrow evening.

Passed by the downtown venue of the Jazz Open this evening, BTW. (I'll confess: We caught a local rockabilly group at a live gig at a club just around the corner. ;) )

Edited by Big Beat Steve