What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night, Evan Parker and Seymour Wright talking about, analysing and occasionally playing the music of Steve Lacy.

Unfortunately furnace conditions in Cafe Oto meant I bailed at half time.  Well worth it to hear EP play Monk and to see the rare sight of him sight reading (only previously witnessed with the Kenny Wheeler Large Ensembe, I think) as he said "I don't often play notated music". Which was a bit of an understatement in itself.

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Last night, Evan Parker and Seymour Wright talking about, analysing and occasionally playing the music of Steve Lacy.

Unfortunately furnace conditions in Cafe Oto meant I bailed at half time.  Well worth it to hear EP play Monk and to see the rare sight of him sight reading (only previously witnessed with the Kenny Wheeler Large Ensembe, I think) as he said "I don't often play notated music". Which was a bit of an understatement in itself.

Was the air conditioning not working?

Was Evan playing Monk & Lacy solo?

or duo with Wright?

18 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Was the air conditioning not working?

Was Evan playing Monk & Lacy solo?

or duo with Wright?

they turned the AC off to avoid the noise...

EP played Monk both solo and in duet and Wright played Lacy solo. They only played maybe 15-20 minutes total in the first half. Lots of entertaining reminiscing from EP about Lacy and more informed "research" from Wright. I think EP was struggling with the heat too

I heard the second set, which was quite good; just what I needed. He played tenor, alto and EWI, backed by piano/bass/drums, all unfamiliar to me. (The pianist's first name was Caleb; I don't recall the last/the others). I even like his EWI playing; he takes it seriously, not as a novelty instrument. He seems like a super-nice fellow, also. I hope they have him back, as the venue is really pleasant, with good sound; their usual acts are too much on the pop side for me to go very often.

8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

How did you like Quamon? The few times I've heard him (he's out of FW, and you know how that goes...), I've enjoyed what he had to say, or at least the way he says it.

Who'd he have with him?

Yeah, he does seem to be a nice guy, serious about music but not angsty about it. I meat him through Paul Unger a few years back and was taken by how his playing was totally "inside", but not thoughtlessly so, I heard him any number of times do harmonic and rhythmic things that "colored outside the lines" in such a way that everybody (most importantly himself) could sense how he got there and why, and then when he got back in, it was never abrupt/arbitrary like "oh well, that's enough of THAT"; just a very thoughtful, real player. To use the hip-hop term, he had flow.

• 2 weeks later...

Chano Domínguez New Flamenco Sound at the Café Central in Madrid:

http://www.cafecentralmadrid.com/Chano/

15, 16, 17, 18 y 19 de agosto
NEW FLAMENCO SOUND

Chano Domínguez – piano, teclados
Jordi Bonell – guitarra
Ernesto Aurignac – saxo alto
Pep Perez Cucurella – bajo
David Gómez – batería

I just returned from a cruise on Norwegian and they had, surprisingly, a very nice jazz six piece band. On Thursday they did a program entitled A Tribute to Art Blakey, which was very nice. Another surprise was that it was very well attended.  Unfortunately, I didn’t get their names. 

Tomorrow night:  Phil/Friends' Headcount benefit at the Apollo - my first visit (bucket list!).  Saturday, I safari for a new deli (lunch) and pizza (dinner), among whatever else might be happening in that sleepy city (I've heard rumours).