What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Kate said:

Tomorrow night:  Phil/Friends' Headcount benefit at the Apollo - my first visit (bucket list!).  Saturday, I safari for a new deli (lunch) and pizza (dinner), among whatever else might be happening in that sleepy city (I've heard rumours).

We were at Capital Theatre last night and it was spectacular. Much better than in March. The younger guitarists are really stepping it up. Among many highlights, the shit-kicking version of Cumberland that followed Passenger at the beginning of the second set was one of the greatest things I’ve ever heard. 

the audience and staff both could of been more respectful to julian.  people shouting "turn it up"!  staff calling on the talkbox down to julian no dont touch that mic to which julian shrugged, it was my only jazz show of the year i just wanted it to be perfect, but the band sounded good.  in fact i dont think ive heard julian on mic like that before, with his own band. i knew he plays more quietly, but some of the audience started to freak out after the 1st number.   i couldnt believe what was going on.  it was a 12 row theatre it wasnt exactly madison square garden, when thepeople said turn it up we cant hear u! julian said: " i think we have a protest"! 

4 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

saw Julian Priester quartet just now- he was lookin good- DAMN GOOD.  played the whole show standing up, no chair anywhere, 10 yrs ago, he played sitting down....

Only saw Julian Priester on the one occasion, a Western Canada club date with a local trio. Vocalist Judi Singh joined for a few numbers. Great to hear that he is in good shape. :tup

Harry Allen is swinging through for his annual visit to Jocko's Sahara Jazz Club in Methuen, MA. Although I live in Maine now, I'll still be making the trek to Methuen tonight. I don't miss Allen's visits. Next week, Greg Abate is coming back for another visit. I may have to make it two weeks in a row. :)

12 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Harry Allen is swinging through for his annual visit to Jocko's Sahara Jazz Club in Methuen, MA. Although I live in Maine now, I'll still be making the trek to Methuen tonight. I don't miss Allen's visits. Next week, Greg Abate is coming back for another visit. I may have to make it two weeks in a row. :)

Enjoy.  I caught Harry Allen at The 75 Club and at Smalls.  Very nice evenings.

i heard really interesting avant garde jazz-classical and classical clairnet pieces written and performaed by bill and ensemble.  for regular clairnet, bass clairnet, and extra short clairnet.  This guys more far out there than brubeck man, hes the guy who pushed brubeck qiartet more outside.  it was a new experience for sure.  it was a little out there for me, i mean it wasnt like a jazz concert at all- but i mean i knew that going into it and i was stoked to hear it all. 

3 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

i heard really interesting avant garde jazz-classical and classical clairnet pieces written and performaed by bill and ensemble.  for regular clairnet, bass clairnet, and extra short clairnet.  This guys more far out there than brubeck man, hes the guy who pushed brubeck qiartet more outside.  it was a new experience for sure.  it was a little out there for me, i mean it wasnt like a jazz concert at all- but i mean i knew that going into it and i was stoked to hear it all. 

Would love to have been there

On Friday, I flew to Albuequerque to attend a World Music festival, Globalquerque, at the National Hispanic Cultural Center.

It's a three stage festival (two outdoor, one indoor stage) over two evenings. There are ten sets a night, with about 16 groups playing over the course of the festival.

On Friday, I heard--

Youssra El Hawary (Egypt). She plays accordion and sings; her music is charming and fairly enjoyable.

Martha Redbone (U.S./American Indian/Appalachian/Brooklyn). She sings well; my level of interest varies with the source of her material. The main thing was she had Charlie Burnham on violin and Marvin Sewell on guitar.

Jupiter and Okwess (Congo). A fantastic band. Mind-blowing Afro-rock. Great.

Delgres (France/Guadeloupe). Also a fine band consisting of guitar/tuba/drums. A Carribean version of the blues.

On Saturday, I heard--

Aynur (Turkey/Kurdish). Backed by two musicians (Piano [Salmon Gambarov, jazz pianist from Azerbaijan] and a stringed instrument I could not identify [Cemil Qocgiri on tenbur]), this set was profoundly beautiful. Aynur is a fantastic singer and her band, soloing at length, was equally adept. I notice a fair percentage of the audience could not handle this music; I found it mesmerizing.

La Dame Blanche (Cuba). This is Cuban jazz vocalist and flautist Yaite Ramos Rodriguez, performing a mixture of Cuban, cumbia, and electronic dance music--not what I would expect to respond to, but her voice is magnificent and powerful, the melodies she has composed are captivating, and her flute playing is also quite accomplished. Another superb set.

Rio Mira (Equador/Columbia). This 8 piece band is constructed around the marimba, with three drummers and four vocalists. Heavily percussive music, which also proved enjoyable.

Edited by kh1958