What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saw the SFJAZZ Collective yesterday. It was the final SF performance with Miguel Zenon who is rotating out of the group after their upcoming tour. He is the last original member.

Seeing vocalist Jazzmeia Horn on Thursday. I don't know a lot about her, but her album has some interesting cuts on it.

Last night, very moving and inspiring performance by Jason Moran of his tribute to James Reece Europe and The Harlem Hellfighters.  He was very ably assisted by members of London's own Tomorrow's Warriors and of course, Bandwagon.

I bought the ticket on a whim because I'd admired Moran's music and felt I should know more about a time in Jazz history of which I knew nothing. It paid off

Moran talks about it here

5 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Blue Öyster Cult is at the Blue Ocean Music Hall in Salisbury, MA tonight. I don't go to many of these "classic rock" shows any more as they are usually just tribute bands with few or no original members. This band seems to have the original singers, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I generally don't go to those shows, either, although I did go to see Wayne Kramer's MC50 show last month. I've heard that BOC still puts on a credible show, though.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:02 AM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Blue Öyster Cult is at the Blue Ocean Music Hall in Salisbury, MA tonight. I don't go to many of these "classic rock" shows any more as they are usually just tribute bands with few or no original members. This band seems to have the original singers, so I thought I'd give it a go.

It was a night of sonic sludge. I wasn't expecting much along these lines but this was even worse than my lowly expectations. The bassist was just blumb, blumb, blumbing his way along, with no attempt to actually play single notes until his one solo. The drummer was pretty good and looked just like a young Oliver Platt. :)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NAZlXeg7v1c/hqdefault.jpg Related image

And let's face it, we shouldn't expect these 70 year old singers to sing like they used to... but if you can't hit the notes, it's time to hang it up guys.

Seeing the *great* Phil Lesh & his current band with guest Jimmy Herring 

@ Capital Theatre in Port Chester, NY

this 78 year old can still play:)

plus they will play 2 sets that will be close to 3 hours of music

the band is wonderful as it will be the 3rd time for me this year seeing Phil

last time on 9/6 it was a bit more than wonderful - the > one and a half hour second set was incredible and they topped it off with Ripple as an encore.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

On 02/11/2018 at 11:52 PM, BFrank said:

Seeing Myra Melford's Snowy Egret tomorrow night. Should be interesting.

An All Star lineup: Myra Melford piano, Ron Miles cornet, Liberty Ellman guitar, Stomu Takeishi bass, Tyshawn Sorey drums

How was this?  I have a ticket for their visit to London in a couple of weeks time. A rare visit

22 hours ago, mjazzg said:

How was this?  I have a ticket for their visit to London in a couple of weeks time. A rare visit

They were very good. Unfortunately the piano was sort of lost in the audio mix. Sound is usually excellent in that venue. Ultimately Tyshawn Sorey stole the show.