What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2.11.2018 at 0:52 AM, BFrank said:

Seeing Myra Melford's Snowy Egret tomorrow night. Should be interesting.

An All Star lineup: Myra Melford piano, Ron Miles cornet, Liberty Ellman guitar, Stomu Takeishi bass, Tyshawn Sorey drums

I will see them next Saturday in Göttingen https://www.jazzfestival-goettingen.de/index2.php/artists/myra-melford-snowy-egret/ !

Tonight:

AAA_Vivaldi_biber_1920.jpg

ARS ANTIQUA AUSTRIA
Gunar Letzbor, Violine & Leitung 
Magdalena Hasibeder, Cembalo 
Hubert Hoffmann, Laute/ Barockgitarre
Jan Krigovsky, Violone

Biber - Spaßvogel, Rebell und Zigeunergeiger

Ein Künstler der keinen Respekt vor Traditionen und Regeln kannte. Er war der Erste, der die virtuose Technik der Zigeuner in der Kunstmusik salonfähig machte. Für seinen Dienstherren Karl Liechtenstein Kastelkorn, dem Erzbischof von Olmütz, schrieb er die berühmte «Sonata representativa», in der er tierische Laute auf der Geige imitiert (Hahn, Kuckuck, Wachtel, Frosch ecc...).
Wer waren seine Vorbilder? - Mit Sicherheit der Wiener Hofkapellmeister H. Schmelzer, wahrscheinlich auch dessen Vorgänger A. Bertali. Der italienische Geigenvirtuose C.A. Lonati, lange Zeit Vorgesetzter von A. Corelli in Rom, nimmt in seiner großangelegte Sonatensammlung, die ebenfalls Kaiser Leopold I gewidmet ist, deutliche Anleihen bei den geigentechnischen Errungenschaften Bibers.

Some great violin chamber music from the 17th century by one of the best historically informed violinist of this time. 

On May 1, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Dmitry said:

April 29th 2017

SUNY Purchase -

Tribute to Sonny Rollins

Tenors -

Jimmy Heath

Ravi Coltrane

Eric Wyatt

Joe Lovano

James Carter

James Brandon Lewis

David Hazeltine, piano
Todd Coolman, bass
Victor Lewis, drums

https://tickets.artscenter.org/single/eventDetail.aspx?p=6144

A very nice tribute indeed, this was a multi-saxophone blowing session of a very high caliber. 

After that, went to the Knickerbocker Bar & Grill, across the way from NYU. Surprisingly, I'd never been there before.

Michael Weiss, piano

Kenny Davis, bass

???, drums

This place has the worst accoustics. All I heard from the bar was the drum set, nary a piano note. Bizarre. Hasn't anyone ever complained?! So finished my drink, and went to Wo Hop instead. Hot & Sour soup, vegetable chow fun at around 1-30am. Nice. 

That wasn't me.

Za, Pollock & a Baker on drums

Bit of a tamer journey to Louisville to see Music of Cream (v. the recent Fall Phish tour), performed by Jack & Ginger's boys with Eric's nephew (attenuated) on lead. Extraordinary to experience such unique and seminal hard psychedelic blues played by those with a DNA-level affiliation; a heavy dose of improvisation proved a welcomed rebuttal to the notion of a mere cover act. What the trio did with "White Room" in the 'tween spaces was revelatory (who'd have thought!). A favourite moment, which underscored the group's aesthetic risk-taking (and perhaps only a Deadhead or jazz aficionado could distill great significance from such a thing), occurred during "I'm So Glad" when groupmind completely broke down: 4-5 minutes of utterly failed attempts to find some sort of freeform melodic construct (Will listening to Malcolm while looking pensively, lips pursed at the ornate ceiling and Malcolm listening headcocked to Will while staring holes with laser focus into the stage flooring) until Kofi declared 'enough' and pulled the crew back onto the page of written notation. And in the beautiful historic Brown Theatre! Worth the time and money.

Louisville is also home to a little-known artistic jewel in the Midwest: the Speed Art Museum located on the edge of U of L's lovely campus. Currently hosting a Modern Masterworks exhibit that comprises movements "from Picasso to Pollock"; really an extraordinary capsule of major artistic schools during the first half of the 20th century.

Finally, in years past I'd eaten at the pizza altar of Impellizeri's, though friends of a competing faction insisted that Wick's is the inarguable Alpha predator among River City pizzerias. So I went, and in the shabby-chic boho bar environs of Wick's, watched the busy midday traffic along Bardstown Road, deep in the magnificent Highlands, while a crazy patch of the season's first snow moved through. Good - no, really good - pizza, BUT certainly not Impellizeri's...sauce too thick, no fennel (or not enough), and clearly inferior crust. Have to admit, I brought 4 pieces home and it was better cold the next day.

OH DAY OF JOY, SUN RA ARKESTRA HAS FINALLY CHOSEN TO BLESS US WITH A VISIT EARLY NEXT YEAR, MARSHALL ALLEN, DANNY RAY THOMPSON, WHO ELSE DO WE GOT THESE DAYS....MICHAEL RAY?  IVE BEEN ASKING AROUND ABOUT THIS FOR YEARS, HOPING THEYD COME,  I CANT BELIEVE I FINALLY GET TO HAVE THE EXPERIENCE

OH WOW- HOW BOUT ALL THREE!!!!!  AND   ATAKATUNE IS STILL IN THE BAND AND SOME OF THE SAXOPHONISTS ALTHOUGH I AM NOT FAMILAR WITH THEM BY NAME HAVE BEEN IN THE BAND SINCE LIKE 1980

OH AND YOU SO FREAKING KNOW THERE IS GOING TO BE AN EXTRA EXTRA SPECIAL GUEST AT MY SHOW, AN ORIGINAL MEMBER PREDTATING MARSHALL ALLEN, ON SPACE TROMBONE.........(NOT ANNOUNCED, BUT DAWG.....OF COURSE ITS GONNA HAPPEN, HOW COULD IT NOT)

5 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Recent Arkestra shows in London (about 2 a year) have been about a tentet pulling from that pool and from others

On 19.11.2018 at 2:37 PM, soulpope said:

Interesting Rhythm Section .... looking forward to you review :D ....

Announcement and actual line-up are often two pairs of shoes: Line-up in Kassel: David Murray (ts, bcl), David Bryant (p) instead of Orrin Evans (p), Jaribu Shahid (b), Eric McPherson (dr) instead of Nasheet Waits (dr) + Saul Williams (poetry, spoken words) added (!!!). Nevertheless: Passionate, profound, blues soaked, energetic jazz with poetry and spoken words – unforgettable!

On my to do list now:

34396635pp.jpg

34396644nf.jpg

DAVID MURRAY feat. SAUL WILLIAMS: BLUES FOR MEMO. MOTEMA MTMO256 [2018]

34396673mc.jpg

SAUL WILLIAMS: SVHE. MTV BOOKS / POCKET BOOKS NEW YORK 1999

34397457la.jpg

Kassel, Theaterstübchen, November 19, 2018 - © Udo Hinz

Edited by optatio

2 minutes ago, optatio said:

Announcement and actual line-up are often two pairs of shoes: Line-up in Kassel: David Murray (ts, bcl), David Bryant (p) instead of Orrin Evans (p), Jaribu Shahid (b), Eric McPherson (dr) instead of Nasheet Waits (dr) + Saul Williams (poetry, spoken words) added (!!!). Nevertheless: Passionate, profound, blues soaked, energetic jazz with poetry and spoken words – unforgettable!

On my to do list now:

34396635pp.jpg

34396644nf.jpg

DAVID MURRAY feat. SAUL WILLIAMS: BLUES FOR MEMO. MOTEMA MTMO256 [2018]

34396673mc.jpg

SAUL WILLIAMS: SVHE. MTV BOOKS / POCKET BOOKS NEW YORK 1999

34397457la.jpg

Thanks for sharing your impressions ... would have loved to see Jaribu Shahid ....

Edited by soulpope