What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

3 hours ago, BFrank said:

I had a good time, too.

Saturday:
- Michael Formanek’s Very Practical Trio w/Tim Berne and Mary Halvorson. Enjoyable combination of musicians. I've seen her with Formanek, but not Berne before. It worked.
- Maria Grand DiaTribe w/Faye Victor. Nothing notable about the band, but Faye was outstanding. At Bar Zinc - terrible venue for a festival. Long narrow space with front half table seating only w/one drink minimum. Back half is the bar, but unless you're AT the front of the bar it was very difficult to see the stage. Overall difficult if you're venue hopping.
- Ralph Alessi and "This Against That" w/Ravi Coltrane, Drew Gress, Andy Milne, Mark Ferber. Very good sextet performance. Ravi is getting stronger all the time. Surprisingly light attendance for this show.
- Ben LaMar Gay. Nice sounding neo-jazz with a groove and vocals. At Nublu in the E. Village - a LONG walk from Bleeker St.
- Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society + Hamid Drake. Again ... nice sounding groove, but I left after a half hour of noodling.

Sunday:
- Pocket Science with Gary Bartz, Kahil El Zabar, Jamaladeen Tacuma, Robert Irving III. Excellent set especially since I've never seen Tacuma or Zabar before. Nice auditorium, but for some reason they had the band near the back wall of the stage instead of up front.
- Dave Liebman, Adam Rudolph & Hamid Drake. Three sets in a row at Subculture, like kh. Interesting trio and pretty abstract. 
- Allison Miller and Carmen Staaf ‘Science Fair’ w/Dayna Stephens, Jason Palmer, Matt Penman. The discovery of the weekend for me. I wasn't familiar with Miller, and her drumming is outstanding. Staaf is a force to be reckoned with, too.
- JD Allen Encounters David Murray. Very intense and a good way to close the festival for me. Allen has a solid Rollins/Coltrane presence and of course Murray takes his Ayler blowing to the max. They played off each other very well.

Looking forward to NEXT year!

Well, we had one set in common (but I think one of the best at the Festival). I wanted to hear JD Allen with David Murray but it was too crowded for me. And picking Impressions of Pepper over the Liebman set was undoubtedly a mistake attributable to inertia.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Well, we had one set in common (but I think one of the best at the Festival). I wanted to hear JD Allen with David Murray but it was too crowded for me. And picking Impressions of Pepper over the Liebman set was undoubtedly a mistake attributable to inertia.

Bartz was a highlight for sure!

I wanted to see Amina Claudine Myers, but it was at Bar Zinc so it got crossed off the list. Also wanted to see Kassa Overall Trio with Mark Shim, but after Allen/Murray I decided to call it a night.

Interesting how the Saturday shows were much more crowded than Friday. Something I'll have to take into account if I go next year.

2 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

not tonight but just found out and its AAAAAA #1 stuff....

Benny Golson in Apr.!!  The songs, the tenor, the legend.  Two magical evenings

If you haven't seen Benny before, go. If you have, skip it. It'll be the same exact show you saw the last time, even the talk between the songs. :)

15 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Not only in Zurich .....

And add to that that the festivals do the same, book the same guys (and happily some more gals) in similar constellations (oh, they were good last years, let's bring them back and replace X with Y this time 'round ... or let's add seasond veteran Z to young group ABC that needn't more than a sammich for pay ...)

All the happier I am about the outstanding concert given by Akinmusire's quartet last night ... the first set was probably more than an hour already and quite a trip, the second even longer and full with quite moments this time, including a wonderful hommage to Roy Hargrove ... I love their live album from the Village Vanguard, and consider them to be an outstanding unit--how they can shift gears together, let things roll and then hop on again, change tempos and all that ... threy really have their act together, the material is challenging I guess, but also attractive, and while all four have their own voice, it's a band that is very much more than the sum of its parts.

2 huge jazz shows tonite and tmw but dawg im not doing either nor tmw- soft machine and bernstein/goldings/stewart.  BGS ive seen each w/ diff bands never together and i know they are 100%-ballz and the very best b3 trio in jazz perhaps and soft machine are members that joined in the 70s and usually id be all about this stuff but Im gonna have to go with the jazz legend and see benny golson over any of that, i cant do it all, i have 4 shows next week, 2 commited (phil lesh, ike willis), and 2 i really want to (richard thompson, bob seger)

Earlier this afternoon, Sam Newsome Quartet with Cooper-Moore, Hilliard Greene and Reggie Nicholson at the Hartford Public Library. I have heard Newsome several times playing with Darius Jones, but this is my first time hearing him as a leader of his own group. Cooper-Moore was a bit of a surprise as Angelica Sanchez was previously advertised. Very creative approach and nice afternoon of music.