What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

On 1/22/2019 at 9:40 AM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

If you haven't seen Benny before, go. If you have, skip it. It'll be the same exact show you saw the last time, even the talk between the songs. :)

I've seen Benny Golson 5 times (3 quartets and 2 large groups) and it has never been the same exact show.  He likes to tell the stories behind his classic tunes.  How often do you get to hear a composer of Golson's caliber discuss his work?  The man is a living legend and still sounds great.

Seeing Golson perform his classics, newer material and standards is a must-see concert.  It'd be foolish to skip it, in my opinion.  

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/16/2019 at 5:41 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Going to catch Atomic tonight at Hallwalls.

Nice, Chuck!  I caught them in Cleveland the day before and bought Broo's recent standards album afterward.  After seeing them in February 2015, they didn't return for 3 years.  I'm glad that they now have played here twice within the span of a year.

In some ways, I feel like Atomic is kind of a spiritual successor to the ICP Orchestra.  It is a group of improvisers/composers with a firm grasp of tradition and they have an irreverent, fun approach.  

25 minutes ago, Justin V said:

I've seen Benny Golson 5 times (3 quartets and 2 large groups) and it has never been the same exact show.  He likes to tell the stories behind his classic tunes.  How often do you get to hear a composer of Golson's caliber discuss his work?  The man is a living legend and still sounds great.

Seeing Golson perform his classics, newer material and standards is a must-see concert.  It'd be foolish to skip it, in my opinion.  

I've seen Benny several times. I've actually lost count, to be honest. You are right in that he used to put on a great show with lots of great tunes. But the last two times I saw him, he played the exact same set list in almost the same order. The stories were the same too. In fact, they broadcast the second set to the last show I went to. I listened to it on the ride home and the second set was identical to the first. He used to play different tunes each set but not today. He is 90, after all.

I was very glad I didn't buy tickets to both sets like I usually do for guys like Benny.

Parisian festival Sons d'hiver has a very good line up this year (new artistic director seems to be former programmer of the Mulhouse festival).

https://www.sonsdhiver.org/

Unfortunately, with a young child, cannot see as much as I would wish to. Went to see the interesting pairing of Evan Parker and Tyshawn Sorey this week. Very different styles and approaches which at first did not seem to fit that well together but progressively integrated very well. Lots of tenor from EP who was challenged to cut through by Sorey's sometimes "loud" (objectively speaking, no judgement here) playing.

Will not miss Braxton next week, though we arranged for my wife to see the ZIM music date and me the solo the next day (hopefully we will find a babysitter soon).

not tonight but you guys wont believe this one--- 

so ive been excited about in may, ill get to see trower AND keith richards within the span of a week.

i mean imagine that- two guitar heroes, what a week!

well theres an update to the excitement.  sandwiched between those two, are multiple nights of NEIL!

Tonight, lots of Jazz harp. A tribute to Alice Coltrane and Dorothy Ashby

https://www.kingsplace.co.uk/whats-on/jazz/legacy-alice-coltrane-and-dorothy-ashby/

I saw the band play an Alice celebration set last year, very good not slavish reproduction but seemingly heartfelt tribute.  Very much looking forward to 'Afro-Harping' tonight

Edited by mjazzg

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Joe Lovano Trio tomorrow night

Seeing him on Thursday at SFJAZZ with his Nonet: Steve Slagle alto, Ralph Lalama tenor, Gary Smulyan baritone, Barry Ries trumpet, Larry Farrell trombone, James Weidman piano, Cameron Brown bass, Otis Brown III drums

10 hours ago, BFrank said:

Seeing him on Thursday at SFJAZZ with his Nonet: Steve Slagle alto, Ralph Lalama tenor, Gary Smulyan baritone, Barry Ries trumpet, Larry Farrell trombone, James Weidman piano, Cameron Brown bass, Otis Brown III drums

That looks good. The trio is Marilyn Crispell & Carmen Castaldi.

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Makaya McCraven last night at the Blockhouse in Bloomington. Rumors of the demise of jazz have been greatly exaggerated.

He's just announced a London date for later in the year. Missed him last time, shan't do that this time. 

54 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

He's just announced a London date for later in the year. Missed him last time, shan't do that this time. 

It was a great quartet set, conventionally “jazzier” (whatever that may mean these days) than Universal Beings. Great demograpic range of ages, much younger than a standard jazz audience. At times it sounded to me like 60s Coltrane mixed with the Headhunters. They mostly did McCraven’s originals, along with a slow-heating version of “Blue In Green.” Pretty sure they’re also playing at Big Ears, for anybody on the board who’s attending and interested. 

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

It was a great quartet set, conventionally “jazzier” (whatever that may mean these days) than Universal Beings. Great demograpic range of ages, much younger than a standard jazz audience. At times it sounded to me like 60s Coltrane mixed with the Headhunters. They mostly did McCraven’s originals, along with a slow-heating version of “Blue In Green.” Pretty sure they’re also playing at Big Ears, for anybody on the board who’s attending and interested. 

Sounds great. I've enjoyed the albums so ready for the live experience.

We're experiencing a very refreshing upsurge in young Jazz groups here at the moment, many of whom have played with MM and many of whom are mining musical traditions other than Jazz reflecting the second, third generation immigrant cultures in the city. I saw the Nubya Garcia group a couple of weeks ago, it was one of the most uplifting audience experiences I've had in a long time - young, vibrant, very enthusiastic and not hidebound by any Jazz tradition, very much more a dance/clubbing audience response and performance. Fitted the music perfectly. Great stuff but did make me feel my years :excited:

this joey d-pharoah group next week should really be somethin', you know what im not looking fwd to though, you go in by yourself as ive done countless times and they immediately try n sell you oni a "seat at the bar" which is horrible when I prefer a table.  in 20 years this actually hasnt been a problem and ive gotten great tables but you know society is changing now and i know as a fact i get worse treatment in the fancy ass jazz club as a party of one who is obviously (still) younger than their avg older/middle aged (and snoody amazon) clientele.  I am their best custiomer ive been patronizing for 20 years. I wish i had something to bring Pharoah, I could bring a box of Danish bakery deserts down for him, but, i mean, id want them to be like just for him for later, you know.  

•  

oh i just saw its also billy hart on drums- sick!!!!!!

oh god also guss whos on drums for benny golson following pharoah---  Roy McCurdy, wow, never seen him, or maybe once a very very long time ago, he MIGHT of been the drummer at the big john patton show, along w/ calvin keys on gtr, does that sound right? 

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

A bounty of live music at the Big Ears Festival:

Thursday:

Peter Gregson: Bach cello suites.

Derek Gripper: South African acoustic guitarist. Superb. West African kora music played on guitar.

Artifacts Trio: Very fine group, with Nicole Mitchell on flute, Tameka Reid on cello and Mike Reed on drums (really liked the drummer).

Friday:

Larry Grenadier: Solo bass. Okay but didn't inspire me.

Shai Maestro Trio: Better. A dynamic piano trio performance.

Ralph Towner: Solo guitar performance. Fantastic.

David Torn: Solo electric guitar performance, with lots of electronics. I enjoyed the set. Torn looks like a mad scientist with his wild, long, silver shock of hair.

Attempted to listen to a set by Fire! but they were way too loud for me so I had to flee.

Clear Light Ensemble (only Tim Berne is familiar to me) accompanies the film, Carnival of Souls. The cheapo horror cult film is reborn as a silent film with masterful (and quite terrifying) musical accompaniment. Visually the film is quite effective without the creaky dialogue. The combination was actually terrifying.

Saturday: 

Columbia Icefield (Nate Wooley, Mary Halvorson, Susan Alcorn). Okay but didn't really grab me. This is the third time I've seen Mary Halvorson live and every time she spent the entire concert reading her parts.

Wadada Leo Smith (solo), Reflections and Meditations on Monk: Beautiful and profound set. 

Amirtha Kildambi's Elder Ones: Another fantastic set; an intense combination of Indian classical music and jazz. 

Tim Berne's Snakeoil

DeJohnette Coltrane Garrison: The third time I've seen this group and the best performance yet. Jack DeJohnette was incredible. Terrific.

Bill Frisell and the Mesmerists accompany films of Bill Morrison: I was going to see Makaya McCraven and then Sons of Kemet, but I find the venue assigned to them to be wretched and opted for the comfort of the wonderful Bijou Theater.  It proved to be a good choice. I'm not a big Bill Frisell fan, but this was some of the best music I've heard from him.

Sunday:

Only time for one concert before heading to airport, but it was quite good, Craig Taborn and Vijay Iyer on a dual piano set.

Edited by kh1958