What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Wear ear protection. You can't undo ear damage.

I’ve seen Peter Brotzmann’s Full Blast & Jason Lescalleet from up close.

I ended up OK with decent hearing for my age, I think. I don’t listen to headphones and havn’t for 15 years. I used to listen loudly on phones for years and I again ended up OK.

I’ll be very surprised if this will be louder than either of those 2 above shows but we will see/hear. Many could not handle/deal with the extreme volume of Lescalleet’s electronics plus it was in a small room. Brotzmann (with electric bass & drums) was in a larger hall and it was scorching & blistering loud but crystal clear and wonderously awesome.

people have said that the Dead’s Wall of Sound in 1974 was the loudest yet clearest sound. Also late 60’s Who & Cream shows we’re said to be over the top loud.

Thanks for your concern.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Yeah, it's ok to not be afraid of the volume, fear is never a good finishing point, but, you know, you gotta respect it, because it's a real thing. Science and shit.

Don't do like I've done and think it's all gonna be good only to find out at some point that, whoa, I need some filtering here, OOPS, I left my shit at home. Don't do that.

I could tell you stories...

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, it's ok to not be afraid of the volume, fear is never a good finishing point, but, you know, you gotta respect it, because it's a real thing. Science and shit.

Don't do like I've done and think it's all gonna be good only to find out at some point that, whoa, I need some filtering here, OOPS, I left my shit at home. Don't do that.

I could tell you stories...

That time I saw Foghat in 1977.... ringggggggggg... and my right ear shut down for a few hours after... ringgggggggg,,,, and that time I saw the Allman Brothers Band and Dickie Betts was on fire... ringggggg...

Tinnitus sucks.

I always have ear plugs with me now, especially if there's a trumpeter. I'll never forget that time I forgot them and Jon Faddis blew my right ear out at the old Scullers when they had those wood paneled walls that reflected sound like mirrors. Ouch. I couldn't even stay in the room when he was playing.

5 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Mats Gustafsson Fire! Trio

opening performer is Madalyn Merkey

and I’m not afraid of the volume🤗🤗

Saw them Friday night at Big Ears. Thought they were great! They played at the same hour as Comet is Coming (who my friends saw), but I think I saw the better show. Mats is a far better player than Shabaka. I appreciate what Hutchings is bringing to the jazz scene, but he's not quite "there" yet for me.

Yes, I used ear plugs, but that wasn't a problem.

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage, night and crowd

1 hour ago, BFrank said:

Saw them Friday night at Big Ears. Thought they were great! They played at the same hour as Comet is Coming (who my friends saw), but I think I saw the better show. Mats is a far better player than Shabaka. I appreciate what Hutchings is bringing to the jazz scene, but he's not quite "there" yet for me.

Yes, I used ear plugs, but that wasn't a problem.

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage, night and crowd

I’m here - said hello to my hero:)

Looks like a big open space - I did bring some earplugs just in case (thanks Jim & Kevin). I do see some chairs off to the side but methinks I’ll be right in front of the power trio. Looking forward to the skronk. Yes Mats is a great player and I’m thrilled to see him live for the first time in a decade. 

pharoah fell somehow yesterday and broke his hip, they didnt say much, leaving me to think its bad, but i do not know they did say what i told you though.  he was replaced (this is the joey defracneco band im talking about)- he was replaced by GARY BARTZ, who they called at 7am this morning (he must live in LA- i thought he was still in ny for some reason).....so thurs-sat: gary and for the sunday show: the special guest is not gary, but Azar Lawrence.  dare i say gary worked better in this band that i presume pharoah would of....i mean i love phaorah but the band was more hard bop ( i mean phaorahs on the new album, i really should hear it im sure its great) but yea hope pharoah is going to be ok, that is a real bad one, what i guess happened- 

oh god- and BILLY HART was the MVP of the show by far.  holy shit you guys-- i havent seen him in 15+ and oh my god- part of this was i was sitting right next to him so i could hear him unmixed and loud and clear- wowowowowwwwwwwwwwwwww

Last night nowhere near too loud for me.

An astounding 65 minutes of skronk. Free jazz meets metal meets punk meets electronics. Mats is his own man and he rules that universe. Special props to Andreas Werlin who is a world class drum master. As great in his way as Gavin Harrison when I saw him with King Crimson. Powerful and precise with technical facility in those areas that I was previous unaware existed. Berthling is a fantastic electric bassist who simply tied the whole thing together.

Brutal expressive incredibly executed music which has a place in my world. 

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Last night nowhere near too loud for me.

An astounding 65 minutes of skronk. Free jazz meets metal meets punk meets electronics. Mats is his own man and he rules that universe. Special props to Andreas Werlin who is a world class drum master. As great in his way as Gavin Harrison when I saw him with King Crimson. Powerful and precise with technical facility in those areas that I was previous unaware existed. Berthling is a fantastic electric bassist who simply tied the whole thing together.

Brutal expressive incredibly executed music which has a place in my world. 

Agreed!