What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

McCoy Tyner and Charles McPherson at 80 with the JALC Orchestra.  McCoy was scheduled to play, but did. He is looking frail. He was in the audience. Charles played and swung the entire set dedicated to him. 

was couch jammin with you, did not see the part where they showed mccoy you mention but loved the charles set

Last night, at the Majestic Theater, Terence Blanchard featuring the E Collective, with a backdrop of visual collages by artist Andrew F. Scott, and choreography by Rennie Harris, performed by the Rennie Harris Puremovement American Street Dance Theater Company. This was the premier performance, and they are doing it again tomorrow night in Austin.

Edited by kh1958

Last night, at the Kitchen Cafe, the Shelley Carrol Quartet. This place is perhaps the best listening room in town. Very clean and balanced sound. I hadn't heard Shelley in a couple of years. He and his band sounded fabulous. There again tonight.

Edited by kh1958

5 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

The Bruce Gertz Quartet is playing at the Press Room in Portsmouth NH tonight. Great band: Bruce Gertz, Bass; Mark Walker, Drums; Jerry Bergonzi, Tenor; Phil Grenadier, Trumpet

Awesome front line, Kevin

I saw Phil with George Garzone about 2 years ago and he was great. You know I’m more into “out” music so I’ll relay a comment that Tony Malaby made regarding Bergonzi. He said he knows no one that can play changes as well as Jerry Bergonzi. He was relating it to a set he saw him play when they were both playing at the same Jazz festival a few years back. Enjoy the show!!

I was at Scullers on Friday.

Wayne Escoffery with Rashaan Carter-bass, David Kikoski-piano and Kush Abadey-drums.

The band was in top form, playing was spectacular.   I wish they played longer but it seems just over an hour is the new norm for a live show.

3 hours ago, Coda said:

I was at Scullers on Friday.

Wayne Escoffery with Rashaan Carter-bass, David Kikoski-piano and Kush Abadey-drums.

The band was in top form, playing was spectacular.   I wish they played longer but it seems just over an hour is the new norm for a live show.

I really wanted to go to this but I couldn't find anyone to go with and I'm not a huge fan of going solo unless it's someone I just have to see.You are right that show length seems to be going down.

9 hours ago, relyles said:

Saturday night I caught the Ricky Ford Quartet with John Kordaleski, Jerome Harris and Barry Altschul at the SideDoor Jazz Club in Old Lyme, CT

Has Ricky Ford moved back to the U.S.? Or is he just visiting?

Edited by HutchFan

18 hours ago, relyles said:

Saturday night I caught the Ricky Ford Quartet with John Kordaleski, Jerome Harris and Barry Altschul at the SideDoor Jazz Club in Old Lyme, CT

Damn - I would've loved to catch that band. I've never seen Ford or Altschul and I haven't seen Harris in decades. Are they coming anywhere near Boston?

I have two Barry Altschul leader dates:

R-8254875-1458047567-5648.jpeg.jpg

R-2042141-1260538430.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Damn - I would've loved to catch that band. I've never seen Ford or Altschul and I haven't seen Harris in decades. Are they coming anywhere near Boston?

They were in New Bedford Friday night and I think Dartmouth, MA before that.

Edited by relyles

On 7/1/2018 at 5:47 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I saw TEN (Terry Lynn Carrington, Esperanza Spalding & Nicholas Payton) at Scullers last night. There were some enjoyable moments and some less than enjoyable ones. I didn't know that Payton has become known as more of a keyboard player than a trumpet player. I much preferred his trumpet work.

He's scheduled to come back to Scullers on May 18th with Esperanza and Bob Hurst.   I haven't listened to him since his release Bit**** back in 2011.  He looks thinner now.   Keyboards???