What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

17 hours ago, Coda said:

He's scheduled to come back to Scullers on May 18th with Esperanza and Bob Hurst.   I haven't listened to him since his release Bit**** back in 2011.  He looks thinner now.   Keyboards??? 

When I saw him, he played keyboards most of the night. I would guess he picked up his trumpet a couple of times. Typical song:

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On Sunday I´ll see the Sun Ra Arkestra under the leadership of 95 year old Marshall Allen. I´m really lookin forward listening again to some intergalactic-musical proceedings, space chants, free forms and even some old Fletcher Henderson tunes.

I still saw the Arkestra with Sun Ra himself in 1980.

Right now they are on tour here in Europe.

I attended a performance of Tyshawn Sorey's sextet at the Jazz Gallery in NYC this past Saturday.  His band mates were all young and relatively new on the NYC scene -- probably all under 30 years of age.  It was packed.  Standing room only.  I have been to the Jazz Gallery dozens of times and have never seen so many people attending an event there.

The band played a single set lasting approximately two hours and fifteen minutes.  The music was not as "experimental" as the music Sorey has presented in his latest several releases. I would describe the music as covering the spectrum from post bop to  free bop.   

He operated in the conventional role as a drummer with this band.  What struck me the most was how great a drummer Sorey is.  He performed over the two hours some of the most effortlessly melodic and inventive drumming that I have heard in a long while. 

Nathan Reising- alto saxophone

Morgan tenor- tenor saxophone, EWI

Sasha Berliner- vibraphone, marimba

Lex Korten- piano

Nick Dunston- bass

Tyshawn Sorey- drums

Just passed is the first weekend of the 50th  New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, which as usual was a glorious and enlightening experience.

Opening day was delayed for an hour and a half by thunderstorms; hence, the first set I heard was truncated.

Octogenarian tenor saxophonist Charlie Gabriel  nonetheless sounded wonderful in a shortened set, playing in a swing to bop style (Whisper Not). How many other musicians are there in the world still playing well who played with Fats Navarro?

Followed by the Django Festival All Stars, playing obviously in the style of the Hot Club of France. In that style they were ferociously swinging for a quite enjoyable set.

Next up, contemporary electric Chicago Blues with Toronzo Cannon.  Another excellent set.

Then, the last two songs of a set by the young New Orleans vocalist Sasha Masakowsi. I wish I had been able to hear the whole set; I immediately bought her latest CD on Ropeadope.

Closing out the day at the festival, the James Carter Organ Trio, with Gerald Gibbs on organ. Loved the Sidney Bechet song, and the Brother Jack McDuff song. Terrific set.

In the evening, I could not fail to attend a set by Lonnie Smith at Snug Harbor, with Donald Harrison, Detroit Brooks and Joe Dyson. The good doctor is looking frail but played like a dream.

On Friday, starting the day with Diassing Kunda from Senegal. Kora plus three percussionists. Beautiful.

Next, one of the top sets of the weekend for me, Moonlight Benjamin, from Haiti. A magnificent vocalist. Great.

Then, to the Jazz Tent for the Kidd Jordan Family Tribute. Present were the patriarch, who also is looking rather frail, Kent on flute, Marlon on trumpet, Stephanie on vocals, and Rachel on violin. Kidd Jordan was featured on a powerful tribute to Alvin Fielder. Much of the set sounded like a lost spiritual jazz classic from the Black Jazz or Strata East labels.

Next, taking the rare opportunity to hear another set by Moonlight Benjamin in the intimate Cultural Pavilion.

Finally, closing the day with Terence Blanchard and the E Collective. The group appears every year at the festival, and finally they got the sound just right, and Mr. Blanchard's chops were in top shape. Probably the best set I've heard by this group. Fantastic.

On First Saturday, commencing the day with Blodie's Jazz Jam, which is led by trumpeter Gregory Davis of the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. Most of the set was a tribute to a couple of recently deceased brass band musicians. The last third moved more into modern jazz territory, and was really good.

Next up, on the Congo Square Stage, the third largest stage at the festival and which has truly wretched sound, vocalist Dobet Gnahore from the Ivory Coast. The performance transcended the venue.

Time for some quieter music in the person of a duet of clarinetist Evan Christopher and pianist Tom McDermott. A mixture of repertory music (James P. Johnson, Jelly Roll Morton), exotic styles from the Caribbean, and original material, the set was very pleasing.

Next, Dr. Michael White leading a tribute to Louis Cottrell and the Onward Brass Band. This was much more enjoyable than I expected. Well done. And there's Detroit Brooks, playing guitar for Lonnie Smith a couple of nights ago, now on banjo. Also, with Jason Marsalis on drums, and Wes Warm Daddy Anderson joining for the brass band segment.

Finally, for the day's highlight, Aurora Nealand and the Royal Roses. Aurora Nealand sounds like lightning in the darkness.

On First Sunday, starting the day with the Mississippi Hill Country blues of Cedric Burnside. He performs on acoustic guitar and vocals, then switches to electric guitar, bringing out a drummer; finally, he and the drummer switch places and conclude. Definitely a chip off the block of his grandfather, R.L. Burnside.

Next up, Saharan desert blues with Niger's Mdou Moctar, sometimes called the Hendrix of the Sahara desert. He doesn't sound like Jimi, but the set was absolutely incredible. Astounding.

Following that in the Jazz Tent with Maurice Brown, playing material from his latest, Ropeadope release, The Mood. Some very nice trumpet playing, and the music is good (Chelsea Baratz on tenor sax).

I could not resist another amazing set by Mdou Moctar in the Cultural Pavillion, and that finishes the day and the weekend for me.      

Edited by kh1958

I saw Denny Zeitlin tonight for both sets at Mezzrow. Here is the playlist for both:

Early:

You And The Night And The Music

Echo of a Kiss

Tomas

U.M.M.G.

The Star-Crossed Lovers

So Near So Far

I Mean You

Dancing In The Dark

Paraphenalia

Late:

Dear Old Stockholm

As Long As There's Music

Johnny Come Lately

I Should Care

Deluge

Isfahan

The Man I Love

'Round Midnight

ESP

As terrific as the first set was, the late set was even better, particularly the wild versions of "Johnny Come Lately" and "The Man I Love."

Spike Wilner told me that later this year monthly Smalls web subscribers (now $10 month) would also have access to archive performances

from Mezzrow.

The 50th New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival is completed.

Second Thursday: This was to be Rolling Stones day. Skipped it.

Second Friday: Commencing with Ernie Vincent, a decent Louisiana blues musician. Next, Leyla McCalla. I found her Creole/Haitian style music to be appealing. Then, the magnificent trumpeter Jamil Sharif. Thereafter, a veritable army of trumpeters known as Trumpet Mafia. Co-led by Ashlin Parker and Maurice Brown, it is an unusual and exciting group. Opening up with St. James Infirmary, and sounding incredible. Next, the choice was between Kamasi Washington, playing the giant outdoor Gentilly Stage (who could also be heard later on in a local theater in a set starting at 2:30 a.m.) or 18 year old organ/piano prodigy Mathew Whitaker in the sonically vastly more pleasing Jazz Tent. The latter proved to be an enjoyable player, especially on piano.

Second Saturday: Another delayed opening due to thunderstorms. The Cuban jazz duo of Alfredo Rodriguez and Pedrito Martinez in the Cultural Pavilion was super-hot. They were joined by two additional Cuban percussionists two-thirds of the way through the set. Next, the Jesse McBride Big Band. Finally I encounter the ubiquitous alto player Khari Allen Lee in this solid big band. Followed up by a second set in the Jazz Tent by Alfredo Rodriguez and Pedrito Martinez. Finally, closing the day back in the intimate Cultural Pavilion with Jupiter and Okwess, a supercharged band from the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The group has great songs, four terrific lead vocalists, an amazing lead guitarist, the blue bass, and the masked drummer.

Sacred Sunday: The final day draws the biggest crowd this year. Starting off with the Paulin Brothers Brass Band. Next, another set by Jupiter and Okwess at the Congo Square stage. Good grief, what a set. The rest of the day is spent by me in the Jazz Tent. First, conga player Alexey Marti, leading a Latin Jazz ensemble. Next, the Uptown Jazz Orchestra, led by Delfeayo Marsalis. This band, which plays weekly at Snug Harbor in New Orleans, is a terrific ensemble; highly swinging, with solid soloists, and quite fun. This is followed by the New Orleans singer John Boutte, who is not exactly my cup of tea, but is obviously quite good. Finally, Herbie Hancock closes out the festival in the jazz tent, which becomes frighteningly crowded. Herbie is not fading away quietly and looks quite vigorous. The volume was unfortunately rather extreme; I think I can still feel the vibrations from James Genus' bass guitar and Vinnie Colliuta's bass drum. Also in the band were Terrace Martin (alto sax and keyboards) and LIonel Loueke. It was good, just so loud it was hard to enjoy.

Edited by kh1958

I know it's not "tonight", but later this month, there are 2 great looking shows coming to Boston's Scullers Jazz Club.

May 30th - Carl Allen Quarter with Vincent Herring on alto & soprano saxophone, Cyrus Chestnut on piano, Yasushi Nakamura on bass & Allen on drums.

May 31st - The Incredible Harold Mabern Trio (unfortunately, "Incredible" is not being properly advertised) with Mabern, John Webber on bass & Joe Farnsworth on drums.

I am very excited to see both of these shows.

14 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I know it's not "tonight", but later this month, there are 2 great looking shows coming to Boston's Scullers Jazz Club.

May 30th - Carl Allen Quarter with Vincent Herring on alto & soprano saxophone, Cyrus Chestnut on piano, Yasushi Nakamura on bass & Allen on drums.

May 31st - The Incredible Harold Mabern Trio (unfortunately, "Incredible" is not being properly advertised) with Mabern, John Webber on bass & Joe Farnsworth on drums.

I am very excited to see both of these shows.

Nice, Kevin.  I saw Mabern with the same group at the Vanguard a few years ago.  You're in for a treat.  

This afternoon I took my little girl to BB King's in Nashville to see Tim Hinkley's organ trio.  I am here for a few days and I wanted to see some Nashville pros play jazz.  We saw two fun, wide-ranging sets that didn't disappoint. 

My little girl loves organ jazz and was a hit with the band and wait staff.  I don't think they get many toddlers there.  I was sad that I couldn't get her to wear her shoes so she could dance on her feet, but I held her and danced when she wasn't rocking out in her seat while eating French fries.  

Attended both nights of the Mary Lou Williams Jazz Festival at the Kennedy Center. Friday night was a warm celebration of Geri Allen with an all-star cast assembled and programmed by Terri Lyne Carrington: Ravi Coltrane, Dave Holland, Jason Moran, plus DJ Val Jeanty and tap dancer Maurice Chestnut. Happened to sit next to a group that included Geri's brother. Great music, brief testimonials from each performer, all while a portfolio of photos (many taken on KC stage) were displayed at back of stage. Very moving. Glad I added it to my schedule.

Saturday night featured sets by Renee Rosnes (with John Patitucci, Steve Wilson, and Lenny White) playing mainly compositions from her recent Smoke releases, and Joanne Brackeen (w Greg Osby, Ugonna Okegwo, and Rudy Royston). I need to track down those recent RR recordings.

Saw The Cowboy Junkies Tonight.  I loved them.  No jazz content but they do have lyrics that go:

Lunchtime. I start to dial your number
then I remember so I reach for something to smoke
and anyways I'd rather listen to Coltrane
than go through all that shit again

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I dig them a lot. Re: those lyrics though. . .sometimes when I hear them I think "Listening to Coltrane seems almost as bad to her as going through all that relationship crap."

Reading the history of the band and the rest of the lyrics I on't think that's the case. 

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Sheila Jordan 

Wow: how old is she now?  I saw her a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.