What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:43 AM, Justin V said:

How was it?  They are coming to Cleveland next week and I have high expectations.  I haven't yet seen Davis or Smith live.

Very good. I have heard all of them on multiple occasions, but this was the first time hearing that quartet. I like the balance of Formanek's compositional skills and the strong individual soloists.

46 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Peter Brotzmann and Heather Lee duo, last night. A modest sized venue, but it did sell out, and they were turning people away. Never saw that before for an avant garde jazz concert in Dallas.

What was the venue?

Mr. Benny Golson at the Bimhuis. It was just great. 90 yo and the guy s still going strong. Between the songs he told numerous funny anecdotes bout his time with Coltrane, Dizzy, Blakey and Morgan. A beautiful person!

Friday night I caught Matthew Shipp/Allen Lowe/Newman Taylor Baker/Kevin Ray at Firehouse 12 in New Haven, CT. Baker was subbing for one of my favorites Gerald Cleaver, and he was a more than capable replacement. I was curious about this ensemble for a while because unlike other bands Mr. Lowe is involved with, the music is totally improvised. Overall impressive performance. Afterward I even had the pleasure of giving Shipp and Baker a ride to the train station where they surprised me somewhat with their very enthusiastic response to a Woody Shaw CD playing in car.

Edited by relyles

On Saturday night at the Heights Theater in Houston (a very nice venue), Vieux Farka Toure.

The opening act was a young woman based in Austin named Jackie Venson. New to me, but she is a vocalist/guitarist in a hybrid soul/blues/rock  style. I thought she was terrific.

Next up, Vieux Farka Toure, who traveled for 30 hours from Mali to play two concerts, one in Austin and the other in Houston. This was a stripped down set, more in the style of his father Ali Farka Toure, than in his usual electric style. So it was just acoustic guitar and vocals, accompanied by bass guitar. Very beautiful music. Masterful guitar playing.

Finally, towards the end, Vieux picked up his electric guitar and invited Jackie Venson to join him. He commented that they had played together the night before in Austin for the first time and the combination was magic. He was correct. Decidedly a concert worth a trip to Houston to hear.

Edited by kh1958

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Opening night of Vision Fest celebrating the life & music of the great Andrew Cyrille

includes Edward “Kidd” Jordan, Tomeka Reid, Wadada Leo Smith, Milford Graves & Peter Brotzmann 

Sounds great! Enjoy the festival!