What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the (apparently) non-stop Victory Parade for the NBA champion Toronto Raptors ever ends, I'll make my way to the Rex Hotel for John McLeod's "Rex Hotel Jazz Orchestra" performance.  The club is about two blocks from the epicentre of the celebration, estimated to bring about two million fans to the city hall square...

Image result for john McLeod jazz orchestra

I made it to Brooklyn for Friday night at the Vision Festival.

I caught:

Ava Mendoza/Matt Nelson/Adam Lane/Hamid Drake

Marty Ehrlich Trio Exaltation (w/ John Hebert and Nasheet Waits)

Matthew Shipp/William Parker Duo

Rob Brown Quartet (w/ Steve Swell, Chris Lightcap, Chad Taylor)

Kris Davis Trio (w/ William Parker and Jeff Tain Watts)

Although I got stuck in traffic from Hartford and it took me five hours to get to the venue (more than double the expected travel time), overall it was a very strong night of music.

33 minutes ago, relyles said:

I made it to Brooklyn for Friday night at the Vision Festival.

I caught:

Ava Mendoza/Matt Nelson/Adam Lane/Hamid Drake

Marty Ehrlich Trio Exaltation (w/ John Hebert and Nasheet Waits)

Matthew Shipp/William Parker Duo

Rob Brown Quartet (w/ Steve Swell, Chris Lightcap, Chad Taylor)

Kris Davis Trio (w/ William Parker and Jeff Tain Watts)

Although I got stuck in traffic from Hartford and it took me five hours to get to the venue (more than double the expected travel time), overall it was a very strong night of music.

The Rob Brown group stuck out to me as one I'm really looking forward to hearing. Also a huge fan of the Trio Exaltation record on clean feed.

Amazing to watch septuagenarians rock and roll for two hours.  The Rolling Stones show was basically a greatest hits extravaganza, but that's probably what we want anyway.  Surprised by the loudness, but loved it.  Mick has so much energy.  Ron Wood is a terror.  Keith without makeup or dreads shows his age but still shreds the old lines.  Charlie at 80+ is a drumming marvel and if i did see Keith offer a hand to help him descend from the kit I'll never say.  

Sunday: Carl LeBlanc Trio at Bamboula's in New Orleans, followed by Jonathan Freilich Quintet at Snug Harbor. Two excellent guitarists in succession. Carl LeBlanc, the former Sun Ra sideman, just sounds fabulous on guitar. Jonathan Frelich was new to me; his compositions were quite interesting, and his group stellar (only James Singleton on bass was familiar).

Monday: Royal Roses at Maison. Unfortunately, Aurora Nealand is in New Hampshire, not leading her group tonight. Highly disappointing. Next up Charmaine Neville at Snug Harbor. Her back-up band is excellent but her act wore thin. Finally, Charlie Gabriel leads the Preservation Hall All Stars at Preservation Hall. Now this was good. Sensational piano playing from Kyle Roussel.

Edited by kh1958

I spent the weekend in Montreal for the jazz festival. It was actually a challenge to find any "jazz" that I wanted to hear the three days I was there, but I was able to catch ticketed solo piano sets by Bobo Stenson and Kris Davis. As a told several people the Stenson performance was basically what I expected, but I was hoping for something different. Not enough variety in the mood for me - most of the set was somewhat sedate, but it was solid nonetheless. Kris Davis' performance held my attention a bit more.

9 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

what what what?!? ive seen louis hayes cannonball tribute band twice but as a trio..wowowowo thats room for a lot more drum solos

Solid performance by the trio, but very limited drum soloing - only one or two brief understated solos.