What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

btw there is a ballz flora & airto show up on tradersden right now, you really should get this one

Paradise Club
Boston, Mass
U.S.A.
1980-03-30

1: jump
2: nothing will be as it was tomorrow 
3: love poem (Tom Scott)
4: Sarar
5: Godzilla's holiday
6: Beijo Partido
7: open your eyes, you can fly > sometime ago
8: band introductions
9: Airto percussion solo
10: Casa Forte (spliced)

imagine if duke pearson was with em in this band, would of been in even sicker

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, medjuck said:

The Raconteurs at the SB Bowl.  Jack White is the real deal. 

Jealous. Wanted to see them here in the Bay Area this past week, but was out of town.

Haven't been to the SB Bowl in decades, but I'm sure they'll be great there!

8 hours ago, BFrank said:

Jealous. Wanted to see them here in the Bay Area this past week, but was out of town.

Haven't been to the SB Bowl in decades, but I'm sure they'll be great there!

One of the best rock shows I've heard in the last 60 years. (No exaggeration on the time: I saw Bill Hailey and the Comets about 1958.) 

On 7/25/2019 at 8:12 PM, jlhoots said:

Friday - Kenny Barron / Dave Holland / Nasheet Waits

On 7/26/2019 at 0:37 PM, Peter Friedman said:

Visiting Santa Fe for a few days. Fortunate to be able to seeKenny Barron, Dave Holland and Nasheet Waits this evening.

Also attending an interview with them this afternoon.

I'd love to hear about the concert.  That sounds like a can't-miss group.  I saw Barron and Holland as a duo a few years ago and they were great.  I am hoping to see Barron's trio with Kiyoshi Kitagawa and Johnathan Blake next year.  The last time I saw Barron was last year with his quintet (the aforementioned trio plus Dayna Stephens and Mike Rodriguez) in support of their excellent Blue Note release, Concentric Circles.  I didn't have the nerve to stick around long enough afterward to meet Barron.  I admire his music so much and worried that I would either gush uncontrollably or get tongue-tied and squeak out monosyllables. :blink:

4 minutes ago, Justin V said:

I'd love to hear about the concert.  That sounds like a can't-miss group.  I saw Barron and Holland as a duo a few years ago and they were great.  I am hoping to see Barron's trio with Kiyoshi Kitagawa and Johnathan Blake next year.  The last time I saw Barron was last year with his quintet (the aforementioned trio plus Dayna Stephens and Mike Rodriguez) in support of their excellent Blue Note release, Concentric Circles.  I didn't have the nerve to stick around long enough afterward to meet Barron.  I admire his music so much and worried that I would either gush uncontrollably or get tongue-tied and squeak out monosyllables. :blink:

The concert & interview (done by A.B. Spellman) were both great IMO. Excellent stories & playing.

I agree with Jlhoots.

I would add is that the trio played more compositions by Barron and Holland than I would have expected. They performed one tune by Billy Strayhorn (Day Dream), and a bebop tune the title of which I can't recall. For an encore the trio played "Bud Walked In" by Monk. No Great American Songbook standards were played.

This is the first time I have seen Nasheet Waits, the son of Freddie Waits, and he did a terrific job.

I saw Kenny Barron a few times some years ago. At that time his trio consisted of Ray "Bulldog" Drummond, and Ben Riley.

4 hours ago, cliffpeterson said:

A Tribute to Nick Brignola at Central Park in Schenectady last night, July 31.   Free concert. Headliners were Joe Magnarelli, Gary Smulyan, Tim Ray (piano), John Lockwood (bass) and Dave Calarco (drums).  Opening act was the SUNY Schenectady Jazz Faculty.  

Sounds like my sort of music!

I've seen both Magnarelli and Smulyan in the UK, though not together. Ray and Lockwood are favourite accompanists of Greg Abate, a regular visitor.