What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Angelique Kidjo last night at a free concert at Toronto's Harbourfront.  It was solid; she had the crowd on its feet for most of the show.  She mostly performed material from her latest two albums, a CD of Celia Cruz covers and Remain in Light, which remakes Talking Heads's songs from their album of the same name.

Saturday:

Charlie Musselwhite at the Bedford Blues Festival. My modest expectations were substantially exceeded.

Robert Kimbrough Sr. at Six Springs. A rare opportunity to see Mississippi Hill Country Blues in Dallas, with Junior Kimbrough's son.

Sunday:

Nikki Hill Band at Bedford Blues Festival. My high expectations were met. A dynamic singer and band.

In NYC for a few days. 😁

Last night: Richie Beirach & Dave Liebman at Mezzrow Jazz Club.

It was a tremendous show. I stayed for both sets. I happened to sit at the same table with Lee Konitz during the first set, which made the night even more memorable. I also had a chance to chat briefly with Richie & Lieb afterwards. Will post some pix later.

Tonight: Miguel Zenón Quartet at Jazz Standard.

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

In NYC for a few days. 😁

Last night: Richie Beirach & Dave Liebman at Mezzrow Jazz Club.

It was a tremendous show. I stayed for both sets. I happened to sit at the same table with Lee Konitz during the first set, which made the night even more memorable. I also had a chance to chat briefly with Richie & Lieb afterwards. Will post some pix later.

Tonight: Miguel Zenón Quartet at Jazz Standard.

Damed flamin’ awesome ! :cool:  Never even realised they were on at Mezzrow so missed the streaming.

16 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

!!!!!!!!!just got benny maupin trio tix!!!!!!!!

That should be great! Where are they performing, chewy?

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Damed flamin’ awesome ! :cool:  Never even realised they were on at Mezzrow so missed the streaming.

If they archive performances and make them available later, do try to give it a look. After the show, I told Richie that I've NEVER heard a performance like their version of "Green Dolphin Street." Richie replied, "Neither have I!!!" 

Later that night, my wife and I were discussing the show, and both of us felt like Richie & Lieb were feeding off the VERY positive energy and appreciation coming from the audience. Spike Wilner even remarked on it at the end of the show, calling it "a great Mezzrow crowd."

NOTHING like live jazz!!! 😁

Edited by HutchFan

12 hours ago, mikeweil said:

40th anniversary concert of Camerata Köln, one of the leading ensembles in period performance of baroque music in Germany.

http://www.camerata-koeln.de

It was a nice event, in an early 19th century Masonic hall in the city of Frankfurt, only 150 seats, good acoustics. Nice moderation explaining the music, some anecdotes from their concert life . I have been following them for those many years, have most of their numerous recordings, they are all my generation, we have grown old. Their performances have reached a stage of cool wisdom and relaxation without losing any of the energy the music needs. Great. 70333841_1728385567306469_32748564193875

Edited by mikeweil