What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pedja Mužijević, solo piano concert

"Bach Dialogues"
J.S. Bach, Partita in C minor BWV 826
Fulmer, “whose fingers brush the sky” (2014)
J.S. Bach, Capriccio on the Departure of a Beloved Brother BWV 992
Joslin, Cadaquésan Landscape (2017)
J.S. Bach, Sarabanda con Partite BWV 990

This (free!) event was pretty good. The non-Partita Bach pieces are relative obscurities. The Fulmer piece involves piano "preparations" and strumming inside the piano; the Joslin piece utilizes 2 metronomes and a music box.

26 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Tonight, the Brazilian rock band Boogarins at Deep Ellum Art Company, and Mdou Moctar.

Consecutive nights of African music is almost inconceivable in Dallas.

Tinariwen, a good band.

Mdou Moctar, simply awesome.

I saw Boogarins a few years ago. An interesting blend of Brazilian and psychedelic. I liked them!

Tinariwen is always good, too. Seen them 2-3 times.

7 hours ago, BFrank said:

I saw Boogarins a few years ago. An interesting blend of Brazilian and psychedelic. I liked them!

I liked Boogarins; they have some appealing songs. Their closing number, on which Mdou Moctar joined them onstage, was so good.

Matt Mitchell’s group - I’m 99% sure this is a first time playing together ensemble. About a month ago, Jon Irabagon was listed as being included on saxophone. I’m not upset he’s been dropped as I’m still not on board to what he’s doing despite his obvious virtuosic abilities. That being said:

Mitchell on piano & compositions

Brandon Seabrook on electric guitar

Ben Gerstein on trombone

Mat Maneri on viola 

Kate Gentile on drums 

Gentile is new to me and I’ve been almost a year without seeing my favorite of all-favorites, the brilliant Mat Maneri

show is @ 8:30 @ The Stone at New School’s Glass Box Theatre, 55 West 13th Street near 6th Avenue 

IMG-1500-2.jpg                                         Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul.  All rock bands should have a horn section like this. (The girls too.) .   This was last Monday. It took me this long to figure out how to post the photo. 

Edited by medjuck
add note

Bill Frisell, solo, at an intimate theater in East Greenwich, RI. He had several pedals and used loops judiciously. Also played an acoustic interlude including a stunning workout on Moon River. I get out to shows almost never so this was quite a treat. The experience was marred somewhat by an annoying buzz in the stack on stage right.

On Friday I traveled to Albuquerque, New Mexico for the Fifteenth annual Globalquerque.

This diverse World Music festival has three stages and ten acts per night at the National Hispanic Cultural Center.

On Friday night, I heard:

Nohe y Sus Santos: A mixture of Latin Pop and Cumbias, featuring Honduran vocalist Nohelia Sosa. Not my usual fare, but a fine group.

Mdou Moctar: Niger's guitarist extraordinaire presents shattering Saharan Desert blues.

Natu Camara: Vocalist from Guinea is not bad.

Finally for the evening, the wondrous Garifuna Collective from Belize present the music of the Garifuna people. And a new CD!

On Saturday night:

Sahba Motallebi: A revelatory concert for me, as the Iranian tar virtuoso presents Persian classical music with percussion accompaniment on tonbak. With music of some similarity to Indian classical music, including improvisation, she was utterly masterful.

Finally, closing out with Vivalda Dula, from Angola, and the sound of East Africa. This was another welcome discovery. An excellent vocalist and performer with a fine band. 

Edited by kh1958

I was the same Ingrid Laubrock concert as relyles.  Caught the Miles Davis documentary in Hudson Last night. Off to see Frank Wakefield, a bluegrass mandolin player, at the Parting Glass in Saratoga Springs tonight.  Tomorrow night I plan on catching the Tony Malaby trio with Ben Monder and Billy Mintz at the Falcon in Marlboro  And if I am really ambitious I might see Alvaro Domene, Michael Bisio and Nick Lyons at the Lace Mill in Kingston earlier in that afternoon. 

On 2019-09-16 at 1:30 AM, BFrank said:

Tinariwen was in Toronto last night.  I think this is a slightly smaller touring ensemble than I've seen in the past, only 6 members including a dancer (who at one point in the middle of the set did play 2 guitar pieces).  It was a good show.  This actually makes the 4th time I've seen them over the years -- twice in Chicago and twice in Toronto.

2 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Tinariwen was in Toronto last night.  I think this is a slightly smaller touring ensemble than I've seen in the past, only 6 members including a dancer (who at one point in the middle of the set did play 2 guitar pieces).  It was a good show.  This actually makes the 4th time I've seen them over the years -- twice in Chicago and twice in Toronto.

In Dallas, there were only four members (bass plus three guitar/vocalists), with a guest drummer.  It was explained that the drummer was unable to obtain a U.S. visa.

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

In Dallas, there were only four members (bass plus three guitar/vocalists), with a guest drummer.  It was explained that the drummer was unable to obtain a U.S. visa.

It did appear to be a guest drummer (in baseball cap), but definitely five others.  I've seen a slightly larger configuration, and I think one time (in Chicago) they had joined up with female vocalists/dancers but that is quite rare.

Patrick Shiroishi solo Baritone and Alto Saxophone, Tashi Dorji solo electric guitar and Makoto Kawashima solo alto saxophone. I left before they played as a trio since I had to working the next morning but Makoto was worth the sleep deprivation and trip alone. What an incredible artist he is.

Mat Maneri 50th Birthday Celebration

7:30 & 9:30 sets @ Jazz Gallery in NYC

Set 1: 

with Lucian Ban on piano, Brad Jones on double bass & the *great* Randy Peterson on drums

Set 2: 

with Craig Taborn & Matthew Shipp on piano, Tony Malaby on tenor saxophone, Joe Morris on guitar & Tanya Kalmanovitch joining Mat on viola

Edited by Steve Reynolds

ragna_schirmer_c_maike_helbig_4.jpg__500

We saw Ragna Schirmer replicate a concert Clara Schumann performed in Hamburg in 1878, on a Grotrian-Helfferich-Schulz piano from 1875 (from Schirmer's collection, identical to the piano Clara Schumann purchased in 1875). That piano was developped with Schumann's ideas, and combines the power of a modern instrument - it was one  of the first models with a cast iron frame - with the colors of a Viennese piano from Beethoven's time. The "Waldstein" sonata sounded clearer on it than we are used to; Robert Schumann's "Carnaval" was great. Schirmer is a fantastic pianist rendering these pieces with power and not a trace of egomania.

Edited by mikeweil

11 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Allison Miller / Jenny Scheinman: Parlour Game

I like both of them. Haven't heard the new album yet, but will be seeing them next year.

Tomorrow at SFJAZZ:
Kris Davis' Diatom Ribbons w/Terri Lyne Carrington and Haitian DJ, sound sculptor and percussionist Val Jeanty

Jamaaladeen Tacuma trio featuring Gary Bartz.  I've never heard of this guy, but I looked him up and now i do.   I'm all set for it, Gary Bartz with electric bass and drums. I mean hell when was the last time you've seen Bartz w/ an electric bassist?  The miles era? (michael henderson)

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez