What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

40 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

I mean hell when was the last time you've seen Bartz w/ an electric bassist?  The miles era? (michael henderson)

About 14-15 years ago at a gig put on over here by Soul Brother Records with Eddie Henderson playing their 70s classics. Eddie with a bank of wah wahs ! Even bought a signed copy of Bartz’s Soul Brother 2LP set after the gig. So - rare event but does occasionally happen. Bartz was predictably great by the way.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hes coming here too but performing his chick corea piano concerto and rhapsody in blue. ive been thinking it would be interesting to hear as ive finally come round to rhapsody in blue (it was billy joel using it as the opening music on the 1986 "the bridge" tour that did it for me) but i dont 75 dollars-want-to-hear-it,  i expect return to forever for that kinda dough, lol

On Saturday night, Magos Herrera and Brooklyn Rider, plus Mathias Kunzli on percussion (augmented by Sean Conly on bass on two songs), in Houston at the Cullen Theater. Featuring songs by a variety of Latin American composers (Gilberto Gil. Caetano Veloso, Violetta Para, Joao Gilberto, Herrera, etc.).

Edited by kh1958

On 10/17/2019 at 8:06 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

dick hyman + ken peplowski on the lincoln center feed rt now*****

I was present for both sets, Bill Charlap joined them on piano for set 2. Lots of fun, the audience at set 1 included George Wein, Rachel Domber (Arbors Records), Gwen Kelley (Hot House publisher), i had great fun.

My first night in NYC I saw Kendra Shank wtth Frank Kimbrough and Dean Johnson at Mezzrow. Great music, though two airheads kept talking midway back in spite of several requests to shush. Kendra even left the band stand to address the issue. If Spike Wilner had been there he would have thrown those two airhead women out, the guy on duty was either clueless or lazy.

I saw Dan Tepfer at an unusual midday session centered on meditation where he played several Bach inventions then improvised on them. The mediation was difficult, as the hard shell plastic chairs were uncomfortable and the leader was so soft spoken I could barely hear him, but I was there for the music. It's a shame that Dan didn't record the brief set, as one improvisation really stood out.

My last light in town I was back at Dizzy's for both sets by Rufus Reid's big band. Reid's oriignals were a treat and the band was superb including: Vic Juris, Steve Allee, Scott Robinson, Steve Wilson, Ryan Keberle, Tim Hagans, Freddie Hendrix, Ingrid Jensen, Chris Beck and conductor Dennis Mackrel (the names that I remember). Too short a trip, but lots of stuff needing to be done back home.

An added bonus: I was first in line and ended up with a front and center table, then I was joined by Joe Lovano, Judi Silvano and Kate Baker (vocalist and Vic Juris' wife) during the first set.

Edited by Ken Dryden

Rachella Parks Washington, at Scat Jazz in Fort Worth.

I was expecting something like the gorgeous version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I wasn't expecting roof raising performances of Circles, by Dewey Redman, Freedom by Pharoah Sanders, and Sweet Orange by Ronald Shannon Jackson. And best of all the soulful original by Rachella Parks at concert's end. 

Edited by kh1958

Monday night - Mingus Big Band at Ronnie Scotts. It will be the first time I have seen them for some years and my first time at Ronnie’s for many years. Should be interesting, especially as this is the Scott Club 60th Anniversary season.

The lineup looks good - including Robin Eubanks, Earl McIntyre, Steve Slagle, Philip Harper and a host of other stellar players.

A dilemma as the Arkestra are playing in town the same night. Most of my visits in recent years have been really bad timing jazz wise but for once the timings have worked out right. Spoilt for choice ! (Ed Motta also on at Pizza Express).

Edited by sidewinder

you were there? oh dawg!!!!!  could you see the piano keys, could you see him play.  Is it like a classic NYC 2 drink min + $15 food min + cover trifecta admission?  Do you have to take an elevator up there, what floor were you on- the cam overlooks the new york traffic, all the people down below not seeing the concert.  I have to say, their live concert feature is pretty good current jazz source and someone should be making a discography of all their broadcasts

On 20/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, sidewinder said:

Monday night - Mingus Big Band at Ronnie Scotts. It will be the first time I have seen them for some years and my first time at Ronnie’s for many years. Should be interesting, especially as this is the Scott Club 60th Anniversary season.

The lineup looks good - including Robin Eubanks, Earl McIntyre, Steve Slagle, Philip Harper and a host of other stellar players.

Gotta say, it was a really nice set that I saw, some stunning playing in each of the sections, was particularly impressed by pianist David Kikowski, who was on fire. Very impressive, considering that these guys were very jetlagged.

Pleased to note that Ronnie’s retains quite a bit of the old character as well. A welcome suprise !

Edited by sidewinder

54 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Tonight @ Glass Box Theatre @ New School (aka The Stone) @ 8:30

Assif Tsahar on tenor saxophone (and maybe some bass clarinet?)

Mat Maneri on viola

Ches Smith on drums 

I am very tempted to drive down Friday to catch Tsahar with William Parker and Gerald Cleaver.

Edited by relyles

2 hours ago, relyles said:

I am very tempted to drive down Friday to catch Tsahar with William Parker and Gerald Cleaver.

There is a chance I’ll be there but as much as I like Cleaver, I was disappointed to see that Drake was replaced by Cleaver. Plus I get to see Cleaver more often. Don’t get me wrong - he’s fantastic and lately I’ve heard more and more amazing recordings that feature the more aggressive side of his playing.

I will hopefully be seeing him on 12/16 @ Roulette with Brandon Lopez & Steve Baczkowski. I also think I’ll be back at The Stone next Tuesday for Trevor Dunn with Mary Halvorson & Ches Smith.