What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yo Chew-Dog...

Yeah, I was able to hip Was (Not Was) to the Tyrone Washington railroad accident.  He said "Ag, WTF you breakin' my balls about?  That side ain't worth putting out, no way no how. And I'm boss-man, ain't nobody else decidin' 'cept me.  Now go back and spin "Love Shack" 47 times in a row for penance and then we'll talk about what's in the vaults and what I'mma share witcha."

...or something like that.

Last night, Kara Grainger at Six Springs in Richardson. A fabulous blues/rock singer/guitarist originally from Australia but now based on Los Angeles, her guitar playing has a sort of feminine elegance to it, but with a sharp edge. Sounding clean and clear playing through Category 5 amplifiers.

This weekend:

Antonio Hart Sextet        Antonio Hart-Alto, Soprano Sax, Robin Eubanks-Trombone, Freddie Hendrix-Trumpet, Miko Yamanaka-Piano, Alex Ayala-Bass, Vince Ector-Drums.

Christoph Irniger Pilgrim Quintet        Christoph Irniger-Tenor Saxophone, Stephen Aeby-Piano, Dave Gisler-Guitar, Raffaele Bossard-Bass, Michi Stulz-Drums.

LWayne

On 11/16/2019 at 0:09 PM, Aggie87 said:

Caught the Last Waltz 40 Tour at the Tower Theater in Philly last night.  I don't know much about the background of this, but I saw some amazing musicians playing some amazing music for almost 4 hours.  Warren Haynes, Jamey Johnson, and Lukas Nelson on guitars & vocals, with John Medeski, Don Was, and Terence Higgins on keys/bass/drum.  Also a full horn section (Mark Mullins and the Levee Horns) and guests Cyril Neville, Dave Malone from the Radiators, and Bob Margolin (who was in Muddy Waters' band and was in the original Last Waltz film/show). 

Got to chat with Haynes, Medeski, and Blue Note President Don Was after.  All very friendly.

Going back out to see my Texas buddies the Flatlanders tonight.

AT7oa5L.jpg

I don't wanna brag (Yes I do!), but I went to the "actual" Last Waltz. Needless to say, an experience I'll never forget.

Tomorrow night: Pineapple Thief w/Gavin Harrison on drums. Looking forward to it!!

23 hours ago, BFrank said:

I don't wanna brag (Yes I do!), but I went to the "actual" Last Waltz. Needless to say, an experience I'll never forget.

Tomorrow night: Pineapple Thief w/Gavin Harrison on drums. Looking forward to it!!

Wow, Buzz!  Slightly envious here!  From your perspective does the film do the show justice?

3-Waynes-World-quotes.jpg

I'd also be curious to hear your impression of Pineapple Thief.  I really wanted to go see them a couple of weeks ago in Phl, but couldn't make it. 

Going to see Madonna tonight (who doesn't even start until 10:30, but I've read she doesn't come on until closer to 11 pm, just great for a work night!), and Los Lobos on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Aggie87 said:

Wow, Buzz!  Slightly envious here!  From your perspective does the film do the show justice?

3-Waynes-World-quotes.jpg

I'd also be curious to hear your impression of Pineapple Thief.  I really wanted to go see them a couple of weeks ago in Phl, but couldn't make it. 

Going to see Madonna tonight (who doesn't even start until 10:30, but I've read she doesn't come on until closer to 11 pm, just great for a work night!), and Los Lobos on Sunday.

:lol: Yeah, the film is very good. Obviously a little sanitized from the actual experience (very few crowd scenes, lots of overdubs in the audio), but it seemed to capture the excitement that the performers brought to the show.

I'll let you know about PT (not P-Tree). Looking forward to seeing Gavin especially.

Madonna should be a trip! I heard it was vintage Madonna when she played here a couple of months ago. Don't bring your phone - she doesn't allow them inside.

Los Lobos always bring a good show ... ALWAYS.

oh my guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm all for you dawg- completely rock that down- theater show?  are you going to the stage door after the show, see how the setup is how close you can get?

i mean i do not know if madonna signs, but you might be able to get close. i got pretty close when mccartney was coming out of a book sighning once

See, thats what I like about you people- you can listen to Ralph Sutton Riverside (the lp i just got ;) ) and you also enjoy the slick beats of madonna dancefloor burner-jams like Express Yourself 12" maxi-single. Does she do live to tell.  I bet is was = as hard to get tix as it was to get tix for Neil....

The Madonna show was interesting.  She's playing smaller theaters, but multiple nights at most stops.  It's not a greatest hits type concert, but focuses mostly on her newest material.  It's more of a Broadway type show than a concert.  It includes conversations with the audience, her politics, dancers, interactive video work (sort of like Roger Waters' Wall shows, but probably not as elaborate), a women's choir from Portugal, and only 4 or so songs that were played on MTV back in the day.  

They do take your phone and lock it in a small bag during the show, but you hold the bag, so it's never out of your possession.  Annoying at first, but this type of show I think benefited from the lack of constant pictures and video recording.  It also got moved from an 8:30 start to a 10:30 start, on a Tuesday night, which sucked for me on a work night.  Some fan in Florida sued her for moving the starting time for all of her shows from what was originally publicized.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:25 PM, LWayne said:

This weekend:

Antonio Hart Sextet        Antonio Hart-Alto, Soprano Sax, Robin Eubanks-Trombone, Freddie Hendrix-Trumpet, Miko Yamanaka-Piano, Alex Ayala-Bass, Vince Ector-Drums

LWayne

Hey, I was there, too.  Although I could've stayed here and caught Javon Jackson, I couldn't resist a sextet with Eubanks and Hendrix.  It was a fun show.  Ayala and Yamanaka were new to me and were impressive; I bought one of Yamanaka's albums.  Because I was sitting in one of the small side sections, I had no choice but to participate in the singalong.  I can sing, but with my earplugs, who knows what my volume level was. :huh:

8 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

The Madonna show was interesting.  She's playing smaller theaters, but multiple nights at most stops.  It's not a greatest hits type concert, but focuses mostly on her newest material.  It's more of a Broadway type show than a concert.  It includes conversations with the audience, her politics, dancers, interactive video work (sort of like Roger Waters' Wall shows, but probably not as elaborate), a women's choir from Portugal, and only 4 or so songs that were played on MTV back in the day.  

They do take your phone and lock it in a small bag during the show, but you hold the bag, so it's never out of your possession.  Annoying at first, but this type of show I think benefited from the lack of constant pictures and video recording.  It also got moved from an 8:30 start to a 10:30 start, on a Tuesday night, which sucked for me on a work night.  Some fan in Florida sued her for moving the starting time for all of her shows from what was originally publicized.

I think she did that here with the start time, too!

16 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

:o this should tour! this should tour!

They have been touring for months now. I saw them In Melbourne. One of my best concert visits ever.

But not everyone agreed, the guy from the Guardian found it boring. He must live a very exciting life.

Edited by Misterioso

2 hours ago, Misterioso said:

They have been touring for months now. I saw them In Melbourne. One of my best concert visits ever.

But not everyone agreed, the guy from the Guardian found it boring. He must live a very exciting life.

I didn’t see it but most of the reviews of the London concert have been so-so.

There was mention that the concert was on the short side. Maybe expectations, with this being the LJF, were too high?